U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:50 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,514,680 times

Advertisements

Im not sure about the income thresholds for the earned income credit but I would think the more dependents the higher it goes. Obamas tax breaks are different and from what i can gather are again aimed at the folk right around the poverty level seeing the biggest breaks, or handout, depending what you want to call it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
So....I'm guessing this might extend to - oh, I don't know - the middle class? Or at least the lower middle class?

I thought they were the ones who were supposed to get the shaft in Obama's tax plan, if I'm to believe all the **** I read on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 10:50 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,408,853 times
This is an Obama scam.

He cannot possible cut taxes on 95% of ALL Americans when only 4 out of 10 are paying taxes to begin with.

This is a lie and he knows it.

The rich and well to do are paying our taxes for us, do not know the numbers right now but people making 250k per year pay something like 85% of ALL taxes paid into the system while welfare bums and lazy bums pay no taxes at all.

Someone needs to find a way to make people pay their fair share of our taxes, to many people are using the roads, school, hospitals etc and not paying like the rest of us to use them and up keep.

Obama is scamming people. Only stupid people would fall for this scam.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:52 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,029,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You're kidding, right?

Right?
Nope, and they vote.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:11 AM

12,505 posts, read 16,593,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Nope, and they vote.
It says something about a froum when moderators insult the posters. My question was asked in honesty because I was not familiar with your odd interchange of the words "DC", without the period punctuations that would have indicated an acronym, with the U.S. government. These are two separate entities, one existing inside the other. You should understand that some educated posters here, even conservative, do not follow a logic that refers to the Federal government as DC. That's the same backwoods logic that refers to the Federal government as "gubmint."

But back to the bailout, this morning House Republicans in "DC" are still balking. I am very pleased.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:18 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,247,292 times
I do not and never will make over $250k/yr. I do not care how much taxes they pay because they are getting most of the benefits of our government so they should pay for it. I think we should simply raise the deductable to the original (inflation adjusted) $3,000 per year.

I believe Obama will cut taxes on the working class as well as increase opportunity for these people.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Noc

1,439 posts, read 1,802,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Not understood. What is DC?
These are the kinds of people that are voting for McCain and have voted for Bush. TWICE!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I believe Obama will cut taxes on the working class as well as increase opportunity for these people.
Forty years of watching the Democratic tax and spend policies tells me you are very wrong.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:34 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,818,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
This is an Obama scam.

He cannot possible cut taxes on 95% of ALL Americans when only 4 out of 10 are paying taxes to begin with.

This is a lie and he knows it.

The rich and well to do are paying our taxes for us, do not know the numbers right now but people making 250k per year pay something like 85% of ALL taxes paid into the system while welfare bums and lazy bums pay no taxes at all.

Someone needs to find a way to make people pay their fair share of our taxes, to many people are using the roads, school, hospitals etc and not paying like the rest of us to use them and up keep.

Obama is scamming people. Only stupid people would fall for this scam.
People like Obama because they believe that he will punish the rich with confiscatory tax rates and spread the loot among them. They enjoy thinking that if Obama is president, Paris Hilton will have to start working a part time job at IHOP and the CEO of Intel will have to move his office into some flophouse. It will not work that way. Even if the gov. took every penny the rich earn each year, it would not do much to raise the standard of living of lower income Americans. Obama will have to make good on his promises so what will happen is that the definition of who is rich (and deserves to have their earnings confiscated ) will undergo a 'bracket creep' in reverse. Eventually the school teacher and plumber living next door will be counted among the rich and subject to high tax rates. Then it will begin to hit anyone who is employed that, in due time, they too will be 'rich' and therefore fair game for the tax collector. By then it will be too late.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:39 AM

14,405 posts, read 26,174,612 times
Only thing about Obama's tax plan I'd like to see changed is for him to back off raising the capital gains rate. He doesn't strike me as inflexible or stubborn - I'm seeing that with McCain, as with Bush which is good - if he can be convinced to back off of raising CG it'd be for the better.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
These are the kinds of people that are voting for McCain and have voted for Bush. TWICE!!!
Another educated comment. "Gubmint" anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or