U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:12 AM

9,043 posts, read 11,762,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Dr. Kissinger is correct
I dunno...something about Dr. Kissinger saying "soldiers are dumb animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy" doesn't sit well with me. Can't put my finger on it.

But if you agree, by all means...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 10:13 AM

69,404 posts, read 32,010,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
This is from FactCheck...
You can quote FactCheck all you want, it doesn't make FactCheck right about this. McCain was referring to Obama's YouTube debate comment, for which Hillary slammed him. Obama did in fact state that he would meet with rogue leaders in his first year as President without precondition.

YouTube - Obama / Clinton on meeting anti-US leaders

Why didn't FactCheck report that?

Old 09-27-2008, 10:13 AM

7,921 posts, read 7,978,753 times
These PRE-CONDITIONS can often mean NO talks.. What a great idea. It obviously doesn't work. Look at the position of America and the growing strength of Iran, North Korea etc because of NO talks.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:14 AM

26,517 posts, read 40,280,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I dunno...something about Dr. Kissinger saying "soldiers are dumb animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy" doesn't sit well with me. Can't put my finger on it.

But if you agree, by all means...
You must be a Dem... always twist words and never go by facts.....it is hard to just read and listen to what people are saying....but there is still hope!

Old 09-27-2008, 10:14 AM

4,172 posts, read 6,076,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Obama's lack of experience and lack of understanding of foreign affairs is blantly obvious.
Obama has MUCH better judgement. He was against the Iraq war and we could have avoided:
- not losing 4000+ people
- not losing almost $1 trillion (bailout is only $700 billion)
- not making Iran more influential
- not still being in Afghanistan where the real war shoud be
- etc etc
Big picture wise, I trust Obama. Judgement trumps experience - especially if the "experience" is in cahoots with W and is now pretending to be an "outsider".

Old 09-27-2008, 10:18 AM

789 posts, read 1,207,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You can quote FactCheck all you want, it doesn't make FactCheck right about this. McCain was referring to Obama's YouTube debate comment, for which Hillary slammed him. Obama did in fact state that he would meet with rogue leaders in his first year as President without precondition.

YouTube - Obama / Clinton on meeting anti-US leaders

Why didn't FactCheck report that?
I don't the problem with meeting with leaders without conditions. You can always make conditions afterward if you don't like what they said.

I don't think FactCheck reported your YouTube video because it's irrelevant to Kissinger's position. The point of this topic is to figure out Kissinger's position.

Quote:
Kissinger Sept. 20: Well, I am in favor of negotiating with Iran. And one utility of negotiation is to put before Iran our vision of a Middle East, of a stable Middle East, and our notion on nuclear proliferation at a high enough level so that they have to study it. And, therefore, I actually have preferred doing it at the secretary of state level so that we -- we know we're dealing with authentic...

CNN's Frank Sesno: Put at a very high level right out of the box?

Kissinger: Initially, yes.But I do not believe that we can make conditions for the opening of negotiations.
Kissinger wants to do it at a "high level right out of the box."

Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 AM

22,940 posts, read 16,787,790 times
I think Dr. Kissinger is just confused:

"Kissinger, speaking Monday at George Washington University along with four other former U.S. State Department secretaries, said the next president should initiate high-level discussions with Iran "without conditions," ABC News reported."
Kissinger: Open direct Iran talks - UPI.com

Old 09-27-2008, 10:25 AM

69,404 posts, read 32,010,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
Kissinger wants to do it at a "high level right out of the box."
Yes, at the SecState level, not the Presidential level. There is a HUGE difference.

Kissinger: "And, therefore, I actually have preferred doing it at the secretary of state level so that we -- we know we're dealing with authentic..."

Obama indicated that he, as President, would meet with rogue leaders in his first year without precondition.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:25 AM

2,305 posts, read 2,756,435 times
Just to be clear, are we talking about the Henry Kissinger that said

"Military men are just dumb stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy." - Woodward and Bernstein, The Final Days, chapter 14

Old 09-27-2008, 10:27 AM

9,043 posts, read 11,762,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You must be a Dem... always twist words and never go by facts.....it is hard to just read and listen to what people are saying....but there is still hope!
Actually, I'm about 500x more conservative than any neo-boshevist RINO McCain hack. Nice try though!

I think the full quote is as follows:

"Military men are just dumb stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy."
Woodward and Bernstein, The Final Days, chapter 14

Now I'm not one for parsing words, but I don't think any more context is required

Here's to comrade Kissinger!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or