U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2008, 08:50 AM

41,314 posts, read 39,461,871 times

Advertisements

And obama never called him Sen McCain, just John, whereas McCain gave him the respect he was due.

This "talking point" the left and the obama-media have adopted leads me to believe that's all they got from the debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 09:13 AM

22,648 posts, read 16,135,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
No matter if you like someone or not, you show respect. It's a debate, you talk to your opponent FACE TO FACE. Not stare at the moderator with stupid smirks and awkward smiles.

McCain obviously has some issues with showing respect. From his body language last night, he acted as if Obama wasn't there. Again, no matter how you feel about someone, it's all about showing respect and some common courtesy!

I give Obama points for trying to have a man to man face to face conversation, but obviously the only men on the stage last night was Obama & Jim.
I agree. I thought that Sen. Obama was very respectful from beginning to end. He walked out, immediately went up to Sen. McCain to shake his hand and at the end did the same while telling him that he thought Sen. McCain did a good job. Sen. McCain did not even have the decency to reply.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:17 AM

7,922 posts, read 7,811,294 times
If Obama was a reporter or one of McCains staff, then Sen McCain would be the correct way to address him. Obama is Equal to McCain and John is perfectly acceptable. As i said before it can also help in humanising a debate.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:00 AM

12,646 posts, read 13,883,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Notice whenever McCain addressed obama he said Sen Obama. Obama called him by his first name.
They're both Senator's and Statesmen. If one were a President and the other a Senator this may be viewed as inappropriate, in this case it denoted an air of familiarity with the others position on an intimate level. It had an unconscious effect of pulling one into a personal discussion, where the viewer is the observer in a disagreement on issues discussed behind closed doors, now pulled into public display. Very effective method of stripping and disarming ones inherent spacing.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:06 AM

12,646 posts, read 13,883,884 times
Quote:

This "talking point" the left and the obama-media have adopted leads me to believe that's all they got from the debate.
Of course the media's going to hammer this, they're all professional PUBLIC speakers. Anyone who deals with the public knows a couple of things 1. The greatest fear in society is Public Speaking & 2. Always look the other person in the eye.

This is taught in everything from children's sports to military to executive level interviewing.

Sheesh

Old 09-27-2008, 10:09 AM

7,922 posts, read 7,811,294 times
Someone suggested that McCain didn't look Obama in the eyes because it would have meant him looking upwards. Maybe he just couldn't see that far? All through the Debate it was so noticeable that McCain would not engage Obama "Man to Man".

Old 09-27-2008, 10:14 AM

3,911 posts, read 7,698,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
As Hardball tonight correctly pointed out --

During this debate, where the format was 5 minutes of face-to-face conversation on each question by the candidates, McCain never once even looked at Obama! No eye contact whatsoever.

So what's up? No eye contact with your opponent would tend to indicate that you are either lying, misleading, or just plain intimidated. Even worse when it was supposed to be part of the format of the debate!
I noticed it too- very weird that McCain kept avoiding all eye contact with Obama and couldn't offer his hand for a shake. Body language says so much and he's either intimidated by Obama, pi**ed off, planning to lie, or embarrassed.. I'd be curious to hear what psychologist made of his akward body language.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:17 AM

2,257 posts, read 3,511,003 times
you're on the right track, but, obama is not his equal. By calling him John and agreeing with him he tried to make it appear as if he was McCains equal. Obama is a jr freshman senator and McCain is a Lion in the Senate. McCain was citing specific bills, laws and legislation in the context of how they applied to current events. Obama was forced to speak in generalities because he was in Jr high school when alot of this work had been done.

Kind of felt sorry for the young fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
If Obama was a reporter or one of McCains staff, then Sen McCain would be the correct way to address him. Obama is Equal to McCain and John is perfectly acceptable. As i said before it can also help in humanising a debate.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:23 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,807,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Staring at his own podium could not have played well with anyone except hard-core McCain supporters. It's not gonna help with any independents, and the effect with older white voters... well, perhaps you can better explain what you mean by that and we'll go from there.
I agree that in this climate of crisis when it's more important than ever that the two parties work together, McCain's near-disdain of Obama didn't play well at all. For any independant looking for a sign to tilt them off center and lean towards one candidate, this could have been the tilting point..

Old 09-27-2008, 10:27 AM

25,756 posts, read 38,925,015 times
Quote:
And obama never called him Sen McCain, just John, whereas McCain gave him the respect he was due.

I agree with you, this is a political debate and if I would have been standing there(which is impossible), but I would have done the same. It showed that he doesn't care about these type of tactics and tricks..."Come on John" OMG what a silly guy Obama is, not presidential at all.

McCain went back to Washington to work, that is what he was chosen for and he puts Country First!!! Obama is all about him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or