Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:58 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Do you look at a gnat before you swat it?
Uh, yeah.

Otherwise you'd just be flailing wildly, lashing out without caring who else might accidentally get hit in the process, just so long as you were able to get your rocks off by lashing out...

Oh. Right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
As Hardball tonight correctly pointed out --

During this debate, where the format was 5 minutes of face-to-face conversation on each question by the candidates, McCain never once even looked at Obama! No eye contact whatsoever.

So what's up? No eye contact with your opponent would tend to indicate that you are either lying, misleading, or just plain intimidated. Even worse when it was supposed to be part of the format of the debate!
...or that you despise him.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:00 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,181 times
I agree, all of those fancy speech classes from the Harvard law school had obama lookin real cool.

Sorry if Straight talkin Johns direct and brusk manner offends you but it has a ring of honest authenticity to this listener

Old 09-26-2008, 11:01 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
As Hardball tonight correctly pointed out --

During this debate, where the format was 5 minutes of face-to-face conversation on each question by the candidates, McCain never once even looked at Obama! No eye contact whatsoever.

So what's up? No eye contact with your opponent would tend to indicate that you are either lying, misleading, or just plain intimidated. Even worse when it was supposed to be part of the format of the debate!
Which proves he is a grumpy old man set in his ways.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:01 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,684,873 times
What did you want him to do, this?

Catch the liplock.

YouTube - Did Obama Kiss Biden's Wife on the Lips at the DNC!?

Old 09-26-2008, 11:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I saw this a bit differently. McCain's almost condescending stare at his own podium while ignoring Obama probably ticked off the Democrats but I think it gave the appearance of the school master chiding the student. I think this played well with older voters and particularly older white voters.
Staring at his own podium could not have played well with anyone except hard-core McCain supporters. It's not gonna help with any independents, and the effect with older white voters... well, perhaps you can better explain what you mean by that and we'll go from there.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones 1999 View Post
...maybe so...but to me it looked wayyyy tooo weird.
I thought it quite disrespectful myself, but McCain is known to take discussions and arguments personally and that is how it came across in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
It looked good to people that were going to vote for him anyway - he has done this in every debate he was in where he didn't like the other guy. But I don't know if it is going to be perceived well by moderates.
I suspect we will know by tomorrow evening after the voices of the masses chime in. I don't think it went over well with most moderates or independents as I think they are a wee bit more high brow than your standard run of the mill partisan.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
uhmmm was there a rule that required McCain to look at Obama? Maybe they should have had the podeums facing each other then.
It didn't matter to me in the least.
For the record I think both did a good job. I don't think it was a game deciding victory for either candidate.
McCain finished stronger but Obama won his share also.
Bottom line is that neither candidate convinced me that they are worthy of my vote.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:08 PM

365 posts, read 692,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Notice whenever McCain addressed obama he said Sen Obama. Obama called him by his first name.
"Tim?" Obama got McCains first name wrong twice tonight. I'm surprised no one has said anything...lol

Old 09-26-2008, 11:09 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
uhmmm was there a rule that required McCain to look at Obama? Maybe they should have had the podeums facing each other then.
It didn't matter to me in the least.
For the record I think both did a good job. I don't think it was a game deciding victory for either candidate.
McCain finished stronger but Obama won his share also.
I agree completely. I just read in another thread where they are saying that if Obama were white he would be up by 10-15 points. I love how they love to use the racism stuff because they can't think of anything else to say of why people might approve of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections