U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 05:53 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,789,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Regardless of what McCain supporters think, this statement has opened a can of worms the size of Texas and I'll bet you donuts for dollars you will see this in the coming days.
And when people talk about it, they should bring this up:

In February 2008 McCain voted for waterboarding. Despite the fact that he likes to take a public stand against torturing prisoners.

It's hard to believe, as he talks endlessly about being a torture victim himself. On the day the Intelligence Authorization Bill came to the floor, McCain sneaked into the chamber, voted with his party against it, and sneaked back out. I almost felt sorry for him. Except I didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 06:55 AM

25,821 posts, read 39,041,770 times
Quote:
During the debate John McCain said, “we must never torture a prisoner ever again.” I think this is huge and I suspect we will be hearing more about this as people realize just exactly what he said.

Will the Bush administration chide McCain for this or Democrats bring light to this?

When this administration repeatedly has stated that we do not torture prisoners and McCain bust out with this, I expect to see this one end up becoming its own story in the days to come.
So you have proof McCain isn't Bush and McCain is against it, thanks for putting this post up so all people understand that Obama's words about Bush 3rd isn't true!!! Great post, thanks!

McCain did great and won the debate IMO and according to Fox News pols where people had to txt!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:03 AM

27,903 posts, read 34,375,707 times
Just because prisoners were tortured doesn't mean an order to do so was given. I think we all remember Abu Ghraib

And let's just say for instance an order was given. Going up the chain of command at what point does it become the Bush administrations order as opposed to a rouge leader in our army?

Old 09-27-2008, 07:55 AM

10,543 posts, read 11,993,467 times
Quote:
During the debate John McCain said, “we must never torture a prisoner ever again.” I think this is huge and I suspect we will be hearing more about this as people realize just exactly what he said.

Will the Bush administration chide McCain for this or Democrats bring light to this?

When this administration repeatedly has stated that we do not torture prisoners and McCain bust out with this, I expect to see this one end up becoming its own story in the days to come.
He has always said that. He's referring to waterboarding and has always said it's torture.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:21 AM

1,551 posts, read 1,787,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poogie777 View Post
No my dear, "you" don't get it. McCain is NOT Bush.
Um, coulda fooled me since McCain has adopted every one of Bush's positions. McCain is not opposing ANY of Bush's statements or policies now. So for him to contradict him on such a HUGE issue is scandalous.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:22 AM

1,551 posts, read 1,787,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
So you have proof McCain isn't Bush and McCain is against it, thanks for putting this post up so all people understand that Obama's words about Bush 3rd isn't true!!! Great post, thanks!

McCain did great and won the debate IMO and according to Fox News pols where people had to txt!
you're citing a poll where people had to text!?? You've got to be joking. Yeah. That's REALLY legit. Good job.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:24 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,789,960 times
Quote:
I guess you folks just don't "get it".

The Bush administration has claimed from day one that it DOES NOT torture prisoners, yet McCain just said we do. So which is it?

There is a movie coming out think mid Oct about Bush that looks very good. They go into the torture .

Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 AM

13,180 posts, read 13,060,855 times
McCain caved on torture just like he flipped on other issues. He voted against a water boarding ban.

Think Progress » Maverick Fails The Test: McCain Votes Against Waterboarding Ban

He also voted to take Habeus Corpus rights away from prisoners.

That law was ruled unconstitutional.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:29 AM

27,903 posts, read 34,375,707 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/5446123-post4.html

Is this the section you are speaking of?

Old 09-27-2008, 08:29 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,789,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Just because prisoners were tortured doesn't mean an order to do so was given. I think we all remember Abu Ghraib

And let's just say for instance an order was given. Going up the chain of command at what point does it become the Bush administrations order as opposed to a rouge leader in our army?

Your so right you can have a low rank officer okay torture or a CIA man suggest to the MP's that they torture .
Certainly possible but it went on for awhile and not something that doesn't get out .

However you certainly right could be their company commander allowed it without higher up orders .
We will never truly know but I do find it strange that not a single officer "knew" this was going on not even a lowly 2nd Lt .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or