U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2008, 12:57 AM
 
Location: OC, CA
3,309 posts, read 5,130,595 times
Reputation: 645

Advertisements

I found tonights debate to be extremely dry and boring. The only think I took away from it was "Obama is against the war, McCain is for it." I don't think either was successful at introducing any new material that made the audience go "wow." I started to doze off 20 minutes before it ended because both of them were so extremely boring in their delivery.

Obama basically repeated the script we have become so accustomed to hearing. Unsure about his exit strategy. We are losing focus on Afghanistan. We need to protect Israel. Our country is not safer after the last 8 years.

McCain repeated his playbook. The surge has worked. I will combat all terrorism. We need to watch out for Iran and North Korea. Iraq is a grave threat to the US.

I just thought it was so bland....I didn't learn anything new. In a sense, I think they both lost miserably at catching my attention. I dont think either will get a poll "bounce" from this debate. And the attacks werent as sharp as they have been in the past elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2008, 01:06 AM
 
Location: Avondale, Chicago
14,417 posts, read 26,243,872 times
Reputation: 9458
So I guess McCain/Palin aren't really the real change Washington needs?

That said, this is the most thoughtful post I've seen from you. I wish I could be saying more with this statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2008, 01:15 AM
 
Location: OC, CA
3,309 posts, read 5,130,595 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
So I guess McCain/Palin aren't really the real change Washington needs?

That said, this is the most thoughtful post I've seen from you. I wish I could be saying more with this statement.
I guess you didn't read my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2008, 01:16 AM
 
Location: Avondale, Chicago
14,417 posts, read 26,243,872 times
Reputation: 9458
I read. What did I miss? That McCain offered nothing new, just like he hasn't for his entire campaign?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2008, 01:16 AM
 
3,283 posts, read 4,670,603 times
Reputation: 753
.

Last edited by 58robbo; 09-27-2008 at 01:23 AM.. Reason: started a different thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2008, 01:21 AM
 
Location: OC, CA
3,309 posts, read 5,130,595 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I read. What did I miss? That McCain offered nothing new, just like he hasn't for his entire campaign?
I think you missed the other half of my post where I talked about Obama not offering anything new and original tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2008, 01:24 AM
 
Location: Avondale, Chicago
14,417 posts, read 26,243,872 times
Reputation: 9458
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I think you missed the other half of my post where I talked about Obama not offering anything new and original tonight.
I didn't ask you about Obama.

You didn't read my post, the whole two lines of it.

Here it is again for you, the pertinent part anyway:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81
So I guess McCain/Palin aren't really the real change Washington needs?
Where in that do you see "Obama?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2008, 01:33 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
795 posts, read 1,231,857 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I found tonights debate to be extremely dry and boring. The only think I took away from it was "Obama is against the war, McCain is for it." I don't think either was successful at introducing any new material that made the audience go "wow." I started to doze off 20 minutes before it ended because both of them were so extremely boring in their delivery.

Obama basically repeated the script we have become so accustomed to hearing. Unsure about his exit strategy. We are losing focus on Afghanistan. We need to protect Israel. Our country is not safer after the last 8 years.

McCain repeated his playbook. The surge has worked. I will combat all terrorism. We need to watch out for Iran and North Korea. Iraq is a grave threat to the US.

I just thought it was so bland....I didn't learn anything new. In a sense, I think they both lost miserably at catching my attention. I dont think either will get a poll "bounce" from this debate. And the attacks werent as sharp as they have been in the past elections.

I agree. McBama didn't say anything we didn't already know. I think they both lost this debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2008, 01:52 AM
 
3,087 posts, read 5,842,941 times
Reputation: 1590
McCain Camp: Boredom Good News For Us


One observation on the debate from a number of people who aren't paid to watch these things: They changed the channel at some point. Whoever did better -- McCain in my inside-the-bubble take -- did so on points, and the campaign will move quickly back to the reality of an economic crisis.
Some creative spin on the mild snooziness of the affair:
"If people are bored, that plays to our benefit," said RNC spokesman Alex Conant, who explained that Obama fans -- "expecting to hear one of his rally speeches" -- would feel let down by his discursions into policy.





And no, I was not bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2008, 01:56 AM
 
Location: Avondale, Chicago
14,417 posts, read 26,243,872 times
Reputation: 9458
Hell no. I want to hear them talk policy. I've got no use for the vague gladhanding crap anymore, not that I had much use for it before. But this is less exciting than Dancing With The Stars to most Americans, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top