Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:23 PM

38,602 posts, read 26,213,541 times

Advertisements

Southern based companies have a reputation for this sort of thing. I was simply relating my own experience to the Obama commercial. You may well be correct as to her reason for being upset. Nice lady, but not necessarily sharp enough to see that far into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 03:35 PM

I'm 46 and we may all be desperate very soon. It's just that older voters know this is BS. We've caught this song and dance before. Their no money to pay for his pie in the sky pipe dreams!

You didn't mention what your field was. I am a certified mechanic. I picked up all eight ASE certifications a number of years ago classifying me as a master mechanic. But I also picked up an important advanced certification (L1), if your familiar? I put myself in control of the process.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the Psychobabble!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 03:44 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,398,191 times
Angry white male - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-28-2008, 03:45 PM

My point was that it defied logic and has always failed where ever it has been tried.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:54 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,186,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I have not read the Equal Pay Act, nor am I offering an opinion on political 'sides'. I am addressing your comment about unions.
I do not know how other unions operate, but the union I belong to is not as static as you portray. There is a wage scale depending on skill and time of service. But, in all fairness, it represents the bottom of the scale. I am currently earning much more that 'scale'... due to achievement and self improvement. And as long as I keep motivated and do my job well, I anticipate earning even more. Just like everyone else, union members or not. If the bottom were to drop out of the economy, and my current employer closed their doors, because of my tenure in the union I will have the ability to move anywhere in this country and at the very least start right off at a decent wage. I live in the "deep south", where the strength of the unions are weak at best. If I was forced to move north, say to your neck of the woods, I would find myself earning more money at the bottom base than I currently am (well above the bottom of the scale in this region).

The point is, I was never a fan of the unions. I still do not like some of the things that organized labor represents. But to paint a broad stroke picture of unmotivated, underachieving union workers is just not fair.
Perhaps my comment regarding unions was a bit unfair. I have never belonged to a union (I am a self employed ceramic tile contractor), but I have known union employees, and have seen the work of union labor in the tile industry (it's basically crappy), which leads me to believe it has something to do with the system. Union workers I have known from our experience in 4-H (one of the 4-H members arranged a tour at GM Lordstown where he worked) earn huge wages to push buttons, besides their benefit package (want to know why an automobile costs so much?). Perhaps this is not representative of unions as a whole.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:03 PM

Let me get this strait now. Obama supports women by snubbing Sen. Clinton. McCain does not support women; yet he selects one for his VP slot. And the glass ceiling is a male creation? ...right!

Let me ask you another question. Have you ever gotten up from an interview and walked out? I mean get up in mid sentence, shake the interviewers hand, thank them for the interview, apologize for wasting their time and tell them that you heard they were an ambitious company and you were really expecting a different offer? Turn and walk!

Don't say better offer. Say "different". Give it a whirl!

Unions suck too, I was in IAM. The union is there for their own benefit.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:06 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,023,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Perhaps my comment regarding unions was a bit unfair. I have never belonged to a union (I am a self employed ceramic tile contractor), but I have known union employees, and have seen the work of union labor in the tile industry (it's basically crappy), which leads me to believe it has something to do with the system. Union workers I have known from our experience in 4-H (one of the 4-H members arranged a tour at GM Lordstown where he worked) earn huge wages to push buttons, besides their benefit package (want to know why an automobile costs so much?). Perhaps this is not representative of unions as a whole.
Fair enough. I can admit I have heard of abuses due to union 'allowances'. But thanx for seeing that the whole is a sum of its parts. We all ain't lazy, good for nothing bums!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 04:07 PM

Once again, I cite the commercial only.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:10 PM

Your all gonna miss us angry white males when we desert to the underground economy. Tax rates and tax revenue have an inverse relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections