Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:37 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
Here's an amazing concept for you: just because you personally aren't racist doesn't mean that racism doesn't exist. It's great if you personally are not racist, but if you don't think racism is a big problem in the US, you just haven't experienced it. Believe me, it is here, loud and clear.
It's out there, loud and clear. Personally, fortunately, I'm able to look at Obama and not even see him as black, because I think he has the right ideas about most things I believe in. McCain is white, but I see him as a mean, angry little man who is against American families.

But, there are probably many, many places in America where people will either not vote, or vote for McCain because he's the white guy, instead of the black guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 09:37 AM

395 posts, read 510,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I guess it means the same thing as black people or city dwellers saying Obama is "one of them".
It seems as if Obama actually has gotten a bit of criticism from the black community because he doesn't rant and rave about black people.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:38 AM

532 posts, read 908,425 times
There are plenty of white people, asian people, latinos, etc who act like those "stereotypical black people" you speak of. The only real FACT is that there are some people who suck in every race. Poverty and education are the real issues we should be talking about, regardless of race.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:46 AM

395 posts, read 510,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
It's out there, loud and clear. Personally, fortunately, I'm able to look at Obama and not even see him as black, because I think he has the right ideas about most things I believe in. McCain is white, but I see him as a mean, angry little man who is against American families.

But, there are probably many, many places in America where people will either not vote, or vote for McCain because he's the white guy, instead of the black guy.

Ironically, saying you don't see race can backfire against you in the black community.

In the hip hop world in the 90s, the black music artists P.M. Dawn said they are colorblind and don't see race and don't see themselves as black. However, the black community crucified them and said they must be ashamed to be black and criticized them for ignoring their blackness. haha.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:52 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
That's what I don't understand. How does it go from being a money issue to a pigment issue? It's a coincidence not a correlation (unless there is evidence otherwise.)
To me it shouldn’t, but because of the way society has played itself out it did. It wasn’t that the rich people didn’t want their hospital in a poverty-stricken area; it was that the rich white people didn’t want their hospital in a black town. There are so many flaws to that thinking because not ALL of the families on John’s Island are white and not all of the families in Gifford are black – but the majorities are. And it’s not you live in John’s Island and you’re white – it’s that you live in John’s Island because you’re white.

I’ve felt for a long time that racism has merged with classism – how often do you hear a rich black person or a poor white person complaining about the others?

Old 09-30-2008, 09:54 AM

532 posts, read 908,425 times
I mean come on, everyone knows you can see race. It's like saying "I can't tell if you're blond or brunette!" I call BS.
Saying you don't "see Obama as black" infers that there is something inherently wrong with being black. It would be better to say that you don't think race should be taken into account when deciding who to vote for.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
The saddest part of this is that the looney left will cherry pick a few people to try and paint all who don't support Obama as racists who can't get over skin color. Its pure garbage. Why won't they talk to the black people who are voting for him because they want a black man in office. I know 4 black people who have said they are voting for him because he is black.

The bottom line is they are already making excuses for him if he loses, rather than being able to accept the fact that it is the man's policies and politics that are causing most people to vote against him.

And this is a 2 for 1 for the liberals. If he does win, all criticism can be labeled racism and the media will be very happy to act complicitly in spreading that type of BS message.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:01 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,338,840 times
People should keep in mind that Obama got to where he is ONLY due to White vote as even Blacks initially did not think he had a shot and went with Hillary.
Hispanics were solid Hillary.

So when people say America is racist they should keep that in mind.

Those who do not want to vote for Obama dislike his policy (or lack of them) and his associates has nothing to do with race.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:03 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,227 times
Quote:
There are plenty of white people, asian people, latinos, etc who act like those "stereotypical black people" you speak of.
Yes, however when we refer to stereotypes, we're referring to the mainstream of the culture. There are generalizations that accurately describe all races.

Quote:
Poverty and education are the real issues we should be talking about, regardless of race.
What's to talk about in regard to education? The black mainstream doesn't want it. The best I can tell, black mainstream thinks that money is required to motivate... as if a person who doesn't like fish is going to enjoy it if it's wrapped in a $100 bill.

Quote:
They don't even realize that saying it isn't racism but blacks "laziness and wanting a handout" IS racism in and of itself.
It depends on the person's experience. If the only interactions they've had has been with lazy blacks wanting handouts, it would be accurate to say "the black people I've encountered have been lazy and wanting handouts. Therefore, I conclude-- until evidence to the contrary presents itself-- black people are lazy and wanting handouts." As long as that person remains open-minded, they are not racist.

Any argument you have against it, as far as I can tell, is an issue of phrasing. Your accusation of racism, in fact, is racist because you assume whites are making a negative statement about all blacks rather than simply an incomplete statement expressing their opinion.

Quote:
They don't realize that the fact that blacks are wary and sometimes spiteful against whites is based on centuries of mistreatment (to put it very mildly)
This exposes the underlying deficiency in mainstream black culture. Black people were defeated and enslaved. They were granted freedom in progressing degrees. They should be thankful because them being freed from slavery was on option exercised by whites.

However, despite the generosity of whites, black culture includes a sense of entitlement: You owe me freedom. That's wrong. No one is owed freedom. To have it, you have to be willing to die for it-- literally... but black culture, never having fought for freedom, retains the slave aspect that accepts subjugation... and then you whine that black people's feelings are hurt. Sure they are, because they've made up artificial reasons to be hurt.

Quote:
Not realizing that whether they know it or not, given the choice between 2 people with equal experience- they themselves would choose the one who looks most like them. Now don't say, "but the black guy would choose a black guy!" because you forget that Whites are the ones in the position of power.
Well, of course. Are you suggesting we abandon human nature?

Last edited by One Thousand; 09-30-2008 at 10:43 AM..

Old 09-30-2008, 10:13 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
People should keep in mind that Obama got to where he is ONLY due to White vote as even Blacks initially did not think he had a shot and went with Hillary.
Hispanics were solid Hillary.

So when people say America is racist they should keep that in mind.

Those who do not want to vote for Obama dislike his policy (or lack of them) and his associates has nothing to do with race.

They also have to remember Obama is where he is today BECAUSE he is black, not in SPITE of it. If Obama were Barry O'Brien, typical white Senator from Illinois, South Carolina, Mississippi, etc. would have been big wins for Hillary, and Obama would have gone the way of Chris Dodd.

Obama's race has worked for him (and he admits as much on his own Senate website), and if people were so concerned that racism might hinder his chances in the "big contest", they should have been realistic about it before choosing him. What next for the Democrats? Run an open homosexual candidate and then cry about homophobia if he loses? You have to be realistic.

Obama's BIGGEST problems, however, have nothing to dow ith his race. His associations, his hardline leftism, his flip flopping and his lack of experience, as well as his mealy mouth patriotism probably weight a LOT more. He doesn't get to be president automatically because he is a Democrat and Bush is a screwup Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections