Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:55 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Maybe it's not as prevalent as you think. I have been accused repeatedly on this forum of being racist and I am NOT. We have been told because we are not voting for Obama, we are racist. What a load of crap! I think there are some people who will NOT vote for Obama because he is black. I think others WILL vote for him because he is black. To me, it's a wash. If anything, I think more will vote for him because he is black than won't vote for him because he is black.
in obama's recent 60 mintues interview with steve croft, obama said something like that when responding to croft's comment that he would not get some white votes b/c of race. obama smoothly commented that steve was right about that, but also that some would vote for him b/c he is black, some to make history, etc and that it was a "wash". i admire obama for not getting angry and always keeping his cool about him. that has endeared me to him. i think of him as a 2nd coming of President Kennedy minus all of the sexual escapades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 10:57 PM

532 posts, read 908,756 times
Every time someone says they aren't voting for Obama because he is "Muslim", what do you think it means?
Every time someone says they aren't voting for Obama because he "scares" them, what do you think it means?
What does it mean when people say Sarah Palin is "one of us"? Who are we to infer is not "one of us"?

It isn't socially acceptable to say that you aren't voting for Obama because he is black, but I guarantee you plenty of people think that way.

But forget that. Barack Obama almost NEVER mentions his race. Why? Because he has to walk this fine line to avoid scaring off the "less educated lower middle class voter" (please tell me what you think that means.)

Imagine this: Hilary Clinton accepting the Democratic nomination. Don't you think she would have talked about what a great moment it was for women? Don't you think she would have talked about the barriers that have been broken and the inspiration her candidacy could be for young girls?

Now think of Obama's acceptance speech- given on the historic anniversairy of King's "I have a dream" speech. Did he mention race once? Did he mention what a great moment this was for African Americans? Did he talk about the inspiration he could give to young people of color?

Why not? Answer that, and you will know that racism still exists.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:45 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
Every time someone says they aren't voting for Obama because he is "Muslim", what do you think it means?
They fear an external religion.

Quote:
Every time someone says they aren't voting for Obama because he "scares" them, what do you think it means?
He's going to take all the money I have and give it to poor people... and raise my FICA tax.

Quote:
What does it mean when people say Sarah Palin is "one of us"? Who are we to infer is not "one of us"?
She understands my struggles. She knows that I already suffer and taking more of my money to give it to others isn't something she'd consider.

Barack isn't "one of us" because he doesn't care-- He's doesn't care that because he gives more college aid to poor scum, I have to sit through hour after monotonous hour of instructors reading out of the text because my poor classmates who aren't busting their butts to be there don't study but the instructor has to keep them passing. He doesn't give a F about my values-- He thinks I should be okay with seeing homos making out in my community.

It's a long list of stuff like that.

Quote:
Imagine this: Hilary Clinton accepting the Democratic nomination. Don't you think she would have talked about what a great moment it was for women? Don't you think she would have talked about the barriers that have been broken and the inspiration her candidacy could be for young girls?

Now think of Obama's acceptance speech- given on the historic anniversairy of King's "I have a dream" speech. Did he mention race once? Did he mention what a great moment this was for African Americans? Did he talk about the inspiration he could give to young people of color?

Why not?
Absolutely stellar argument. Just beautiful. Rep to you.

My response: Because black people have earned a bad reputation. It's sad... but that's life. What about that is wrong and what about that makes it a "big problem" when he can actually be so close to entering the oval office? (I wonder if not being able to talk about race would be different if he wasn't so far left. I imagine he couldn't, but his positions are so traditional black entitlement, I wonder the impact of it.)

Last edited by One Thousand; 09-29-2008 at 12:57 AM..

Old 09-30-2008, 08:40 AM

194 posts, read 463,979 times
I hear alot of people accusing Obama of using the race card, when I don't even recall him bringing it up until the media released footage of pastor Wright and his race tainted sermon about america. when this was released, Obama gave what I though was the best speech to address race relations since the civil rights era. It wasn't another rhetoric laced Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton speech, but REAL TALK! He spoke of the reality of lingering anger felt by many black americans, as well as the reality that his own grandmother who raised him gets nervous when she sees a group of young black men on the street. So if speaking the truth about the real status of race relations in america is playing the race card, then it was a card well played- Obama 08

Old 09-30-2008, 08:42 AM

281 posts, read 380,929 times
Unfortunately, this is what it all boils down to. Although many get offended when this is brought to the forefront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Really good article.
Blacks, whites show prejudices along racial divide - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080928/ap_on_re_us/the_racial_divide;_ylt=AlqJWRjzgoYHbAJE4B3Fones0NU E - broken link)

Excerpt:

"I work at a grocery store and I know a lot of people who are not going to vote for (Obama) because of the racial thing," says Colleen Mullins, a white woman who lives with her husband Daniel in a black neighborhood south of 8 Mile Road.

"I'm hoping Obama wins because he's for the middle class," says Mark Coccia, 48, outside a suburban post office just north of Detroit. He's white, a laid-off factory worker and lifelong Democrat who's about to declare bankruptcy.

An American flag cracks in the wind as Coccia explains that he agrees with Obama's politics and admires the Illinois Democrat. But Coccia can't move beyond race.

"They can't blame the white man," he says of blacks. "Their own color sold them into slavery."

Coccia takes a seat at a picnic table and opines that McCain will die in office if elected and leave a woman, Sarah Palin, as president. "That," he says, "is not right."

Still, he may not back Obama.

"What kind of choice do guys like me have? A black guy or a woman," Coccia says. "It's a lesser of two evils."

He laughs, then turns serious — though it is never clear how serious he was all along.

"If Obama was a white candidate and gave the same convention speech," McCain wouldn't stand a chance. "But people are going to judge by the color of his skin."

Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 AM

395 posts, read 510,806 times
I know a few people who say they don't want a "N-word president". I actually have my own issues with black Americans, but I'm not letting that affect my vote. Maybe, I have more issues with Republicans than black Americans, so that overules it! haha.

Okay distasteful story here.... the other day they had an Obama mask at Wal-Mart in the Halloween Section and there was a bone and I put it through his nose and left it on th shelf. I'm sure somebody saw it and thought. "Wow, Racism still exists today and it's going to affect the vote". Little did they know, that person who did that is VOTING Obama. I don't know what the point of that was, even if you have issues with a certain race, hopefully it's not your MAIN PRIORITY. Things like our economy and health should be something more you should care about than if somebody is black or gay. Plus, people are still too ignorant to remember that Obama is only HALF-BLACK. He's also HALF-WHITE and raised by white people. Yet, these people just see a black person. He's obviously not a stereotypical black American.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:13 AM

532 posts, read 908,756 times
People don't want to admit that racism even exists. Or if it does, it's someone else "not me". They don't even realize that saying it isn't racism but blacks "laziness and wanting a handout" IS racism in and of itself. They don't realize that the fact that blacks are wary and sometimes spiteful against whites is based on centuries of mistreatment (to put it very mildly) They think "I didn't enslave anyone, so why blame me?" Not realizing that the consequences of slavery continue to this day. Not realizing that whether they know it or not, given the choice between 2 people with equal experience- they themselves would choose the one who looks most like them. Now don't say, "but the black guy would choose a black guy!" because you forget that Whites are the ones in the position of power.
The fact that Obama even made it this far is nothing short of amazing. If he makes it to the presidency, that will be a small step in the right direction.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:19 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnamecanido View Post
I know a few people who say they don't want a "N-word president". I actually have my own issues with black Americans, but I'm not letting that affect my vote. Maybe, I have more issues with Republicans than black Americans, so that overules it! haha.

Okay distasteful story here.... the other day they had an Obama mask at Wal-Mart in the Halloween Section and there was a bone and I put it through his nose and left it on th shelf. I'm sure somebody saw it and thought. "Wow, Racism still exists today and it's going to affect the vote". Little did they know, that person who did that is VOTING Obama. I don't know what the point of that was, even if you have issues with a certain race, hopefully it's not your MAIN PRIORITY. Things like our economy and health should be something more you should care about than if somebody is black or gay. Plus, people are still too ignorant to remember that Obama is only HALF-BLACK. He's also HALF-WHITE and raised by white people. Yet, these people just see a black person. He's obviously not a stereotypical black American.
There's no such thing, actually. That's one of the issues you have with black people........

Old 09-30-2008, 09:30 AM

395 posts, read 510,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
There's no such thing, actually. That's one of the issues you have with black people........

Yeah, I agree. That could be one of my "issues". However, I don't think ALL OF ONE RACE is one way, but I do think each race has certain tendencies that occur in the majority, or in higher quantities than in others races. I think there are actually FACTS out there that some people just don't want to look at, because they may appear "Racist". There's plenty of blind racism out there, but you can pick up plenty of things if you are aware and observant of your surroundings without having limits to what will or won't see.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:34 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
I guess it means the same thing as black people or city dwellers saying Obama is "one of them".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections