U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:32 AM

2,779 posts, read 6,810,440 times

Advertisements

Really good article.
Blacks, whites show prejudices along racial divide - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080928/ap_on_re_us/the_racial_divide;_ylt=AlqJWRjzgoYHbAJE4B3Fones0NU E - broken link)

Excerpt:

"I work at a grocery store and I know a lot of people who are not going to vote for (Obama) because of the racial thing," says Colleen Mullins, a white woman who lives with her husband Daniel in a black neighborhood south of 8 Mile Road.

"I'm hoping Obama wins because he's for the middle class," says Mark Coccia, 48, outside a suburban post office just north of Detroit. He's white, a laid-off factory worker and lifelong Democrat who's about to declare bankruptcy.

An American flag cracks in the wind as Coccia explains that he agrees with Obama's politics and admires the Illinois Democrat. But Coccia can't move beyond race.

"They can't blame the white man," he says of blacks. "Their own color sold them into slavery."

Coccia takes a seat at a picnic table and opines that McCain will die in office if elected and leave a woman, Sarah Palin, as president. "That," he says, "is not right."

Still, he may not back Obama.

"What kind of choice do guys like me have? A black guy or a woman," Coccia says. "It's a lesser of two evils."

He laughs, then turns serious — though it is never clear how serious he was all along.

"If Obama was a white candidate and gave the same convention speech," McCain wouldn't stand a chance. "But people are going to judge by the color of his skin."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 09:57 AM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,120,838 times
How sad, how tragic, people will knowingly walk into destruction rather than vote for someone with a different skin pigmentation. Heaven help us all.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:59 AM

8,836 posts, read 17,340,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Really good article.
Blacks, whites show prejudices along racial divide - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080928/ap_on_re_us/the_racial_divide;_ylt=AlqJWRjzgoYHbAJE4B3Fones0NU E - broken link)

Excerpt:

"I work at a grocery store and I know a lot of people who are not going to vote for (Obama) because of the racial thing," says Colleen Mullins, a white woman who lives with her husband Daniel in a black neighborhood south of 8 Mile Road.

"I'm hoping Obama wins because he's for the middle class," says Mark Coccia, 48, outside a suburban post office just north of Detroit. He's white, a laid-off factory worker and lifelong Democrat who's about to declare bankruptcy.

An American flag cracks in the wind as Coccia explains that he agrees with Obama's politics and admires the Illinois Democrat. But Coccia can't move beyond race.

"They can't blame the white man," he says of blacks. "Their own color sold them into slavery."

Coccia takes a seat at a picnic table and opines that McCain will die in office if elected and leave a woman, Sarah Palin, as president. "That," he says, "is not right."

Still, he may not back Obama.

"What kind of choice do guys like me have? A black guy or a woman," Coccia says. "It's a lesser of two evils."

He laughs, then turns serious though it is never clear how serious he was all along.

"If Obama was a white candidate and gave the same convention speech," McCain wouldn't stand a chance. "But people are going to judge by the color of his skin."
Unfortunately, Detroit is the most segregated and racially polarized city in the country.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:52 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,997,097 times
Reading stuff like that article just makes me sick. I am glad I do not have children, I just cannot see myself explaining to my children "Expect to get treated different in life because you're black." I can't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
How sad, how tragic, people will knowingly walk into destruction rather than vote for someone with a different skin pigmentation. Heaven help us all.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:55 PM

531 posts, read 823,740 times
Does this really surprise people? What kind of fantasy world do you live in if you don't realize that there is a huge racial divide in this country? It isn't news- its daily life.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:55 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,120,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
Reading stuff like that article just makes me sick. I am glad I do not have children, I just cannot see myself explaining to my children "Expect to get treated different in life because you're black." I can't do it.
It is a heartbreak unknown to anyone who doesn't love a black child with all their heart.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:56 PM

4,433 posts, read 3,923,532 times
OK be fixated on racism and then do something to fix it.

I wouldn' vote for Barack if he were lilly white. I don't care. He's not the right guy to run America.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:57 PM

1,491 posts, read 2,028,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
OK be fixated on racism and then do something to fix it.

I wouldn' vote for Barack if he were lilly white. I don't care. He's not the right guy to run America.
I'm voting for Obama because he IS the right person to run America. His skin color doesn't enter into the decision.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:07 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,987,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I hate to tell you this, but it is the responsible thing to do as a black parent. To not do this you would be derelict as a father.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:25 PM

13,050 posts, read 15,409,617 times
How ridiculous. Most people are NOT voting one way or the other because of race. I would happily vote for Condi Rice. I wouldn't vote for Obama if he were white, blond haired, blue eyed, Christian, whatever, if he had the same political views he has now. No way.

Here's a black man who is sick of people saying people are racist because of who they vote for:

Why Obama will lose in November: Video from a Black Voter | AUDACITY OF TRUTH | Obama Lies | ObamaLies.com | OBAMA LAUNDRY LIST OF LIES

and here are the comments people posted after the video:

Comment by Sue in Texas on June 23, 2008 @ 10:50 am

Thank you VERY much for your insight. I believe Obama has used/is going to use, the race card to get elected. Anything that is said against him, the cultist respond with the “racist” label. His followers also intimidate, threaten and bully anyone that opposes him. This man has to be STOPPED.
Larry Sinclair opposed him and has been in jail since June 18th. Larry held a press conference June 18th, to expose Obama as a crack smoking gay man. Larry admits to doing drugs with Obama and then having sex. Larry was arrested by the U.S. Marshalls right after his press conference. Why is Larry still is jail?
Release Larry Sinclair (Political Prisoner)

Comment by hillarysmygirl08 on June 23, 2008 @ 2:56 pm

thank you from “one of the negros that don’t get it” I am sick of the race card being played incorrectly by the Obama cultists. I am sick of this man crying and moaning about everything. I am sick of hearing Whites tell their stories about the Obama supporters calling them racist–as he said they ain’t racist they are educated.” It is wrong to catorize one group and call them racist simply for voting against someone they feel is wrong. I am an African American who is very proud to be who I am. I am an African American member of the PUMA and I say its a damn shame to put that label on people who do not deserve it. I am very glad to see White people fighting back. Injustice is injustice no matter who does it. I do not support Obama either and his race isn’t even a hint of the issue. Its his judgement, its his lies, its the fact that he has no record of any achievement, how about the fact that his friends are so racist or they are terriorists. So Senator Obama please just stop trying to kill race relations and be a man.

Comment by Enzo on June 23, 2008 @ 6:19 pm

I never minded being called a racist… because I know I’m not. Being called stupid names by idiots is inwardly laughable to me…because I know ME. And who these people are is quite evident, so I consider the source and part company.
I am thankful for people like you, sir. You are a good American, and if you were running for a public office I would vote for you. Not because you are black, but because I agree with your politics… it really IS that simple.

Comment by Jen on June 25, 2008 @ 1:30 pm

THANK YOU for your insightful and courageous video “Why Obama will lose in November: Video from a Black Voter” you have more class in your little finger than the entire Obamanation collective. You made my day — I thank you.

Comment by Melinda on June 30, 2008 @ 11:05 pm

Great job! However, now we not only need to fight the racism in Black Liberation theology, we also need them to stop preaching politics and supporting candidates in those “churches”. If we could have the federal government take away their tax-free status due to the lack of division between church and state, that would be a start. Personally, I will NOT vote for Obama. I’d love to see more videos from you stressing his ties to the corrupt IL Democratic machine and his lack of voting on issues. He’s a good “talker”, but so many people do not seem to notice he can talk the talk, but won’t walk the walk. You did an awesome job - give us more!

Comment by jarobins on June 30, 2008 @ 11:06 pm

NObama is race baiting to avoid speaking about the issues. The spin is everyone who does not vote for NObama is a racist; but NObama and his bitter half, “Michelle”, sat in the pews at Trinity Church, for more than a decade, paying for and listening to the divisive teachings of Rev. Wright, so who’s racist?
Just Say No Deal, PUMA!

Comment by RegeanDem/NowRepub on June 30, 2008 @ 11:11 pm

I am greatful I stumbled on your video ‘Why Obama will lose in November, by a Black Voter.’ I am a 62 years old white guy, (only pointing out I am white because your video points out you are black)born in the Bronx NY. Worked some 40 years in Long Island, now retired in Florida. I was a loyal democrat lib for most of my life…until Regean came alone and started me thinking. So, I became what is called a Regean Democrat. When Bill Clinton won the primary, I became a registered Republican. Since then I hoped and prayed clear thinking democratics will someday take back the party I so loved. I can see now that it will not happen in my life time. Ask not what the government can do for you, but what you can do for your government. Another way to say that is…Ask not what the country can do for you, but what you can do for your country. What I believe you stand for has made me a happier American. If only there were more clear thinking, honest thinking, smart people like yourself in our government, we could have two strong responsible political parties. More important, if there were more voters like you, politics would not be so painful and scary. Thanks again.

Comment by Dave Hoffman on July 2, 2008 @ 11:09 am

Dear sir,
I am a white male from the state of Illinois. Thank you, it is refreshing to hear an African American that is not racist against white people, trust me, we have a lot of that going on here. I believe that we are all the same and we should treat EACH OTHER as such. Anyway, my point is this, Obama has been an Illinois Senator for one year now, campaigning for the presidency for the entire year. He is constantly missing votes and Illinois is known as the most corrupt state in the country, and Chicago (Cook County) is the most corrupt county in the nation! So, in other words, Obama has done nothing positive for Illinois, how is he going to “fix” the country? Also, Rev. Michael Phleger should have lost his job over the outrageous comments he made about Hillary Clinton thinking she should win because she’s white. He is a disgrace to the church. God bless and keep the good will between whites and blacks strong!!!
Take care, Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or