Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 12:28 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Funny thing about racism...I got a lot more of it living in SoCal than here in Texas.

Well, duh, red state people are not pro-Obama...why is this even a conversation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 06:56 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,605,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I have lived in a medium sized city (~ 300,000 pop.) in northern Alabama for a little over 10 years. In that time I have only observed two instances of overt racism. One was an instance of white person using the N word and the other was a black person who treated me and a white male coworker very rudely making it obvious that her attitude was because of our race. In the second instance both the coworker and I attempted to calmly diffuse the situation while she was shouting insults at us.

Quite frankly I was not totally sure when I moved here what to expect since it was ALABAMA after all. My general observation is that the races get along very well and I have noticed an atmosphere of cordiality and a complete absence of racial animosity. But still the negative stereotypes persist.

Thank you! I felt the same way when I moved here and was pleasantly surprised. The only place I experienced racism here was in Birmingham. And it was just a few extreme idiots spoling it for everyone else.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:24 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPatriot View Post
I am from the South and I am anti-obama not because of his race but because of his left-wing extremist views.
Although his race probably doesn't help things, does it...?

Actually have seen "prejudice" plenty of other places besides the south, where I also have kin. It just comes out differently.

One time it might be the "driving while black" hassles of African-American friends just driving a nice car thru a suburban California neighborhood. Or another time it could be an angry black Seattle city clerk accusing the white guy in front of me of being a "racist", just because he disagreed with her.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:55 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,326,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
The South.
I've looked at the locations and the names of some of the more rabid anti Obama people [Mod edited] and I wonder, why is that?
I have my opinion (realistically it's like asking, geez what is 2 plus 2), but I just want to hear others.
I'm dislike Obama and I'm from New Jersey.

And it has nothing to do with race. He's a Leftist with no political experience.

Last edited by ProudCapMarine; 10-01-2008 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: added

Old 10-02-2008, 07:05 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I'm not talking everyone in the US, and honestly, 2/3 of those that I have looked at on this forum (ok, at least 1/2 anyway) are from.....Southern States. Those posters that have their states and/or cities listed on their posts.
Your right, your just talking about the poster's who happen to disagree with you. Therefore they are racist and you are not.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:10 AM

39 posts, read 124,686 times
This is not surprising. I haven't read every post in this thread, but I'm sure some of you are familiar with the "Southern Strategy" as it relates to politics. Most southern whites were democrats until the 1960s/early 1970s when they made the switch to the republican party. This has been proposed to be a direct result of democratic support for the civil rights of blacks including black voting rights in the 1960s, which made the democratic party too "liberal" for southern white voters. They didn't want the government deciding this for them. Republicans used this opening to campaign for states' rights, winning much the southern white demographic over.

In my experience, many southern whites still see the democratic party as the party the helps black people. I do think this feeling exists mainly on a subconscious level. Folks will rarely come out and say it.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:15 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Largely due to inbreeding in such states....
Do what?

http://www.wadsworth.com/sociology_d...s/african.html

http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/p20-541.pdf

Old 10-05-2008, 11:19 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT28 View Post
This is not surprising. I haven't read every post in this thread, but I'm sure some of you are familiar with the "Southern Strategy" as it relates to politics. Most southern whites were democrats until the 1960s/early 1970s when they made the switch to the republican party. This has been proposed to be a direct result of democratic support for the civil rights of blacks including black voting rights in the 1960s, which made the democratic party too "liberal" for southern white voters. They didn't want the government deciding this for them. Republicans used this opening to campaign for states' rights, winning much the southern white demographic over.

In my experience, many southern whites still see the democratic party as the party the helps black people. I do think this feeling exists mainly on a subconscious level. Folks will rarely come out and say it.
The Democrats' Missing History - WSJ.com

Old 10-05-2008, 11:22 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

All those old racist "Dixiecrats" were first and foremost conservatives who left the Democratic Party a long, long time ago and are now Republicans.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:39 AM

39 posts, read 124,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Thanks for posting the link--very educational, but I'm not sure I understand your reason for posting it. Were you trying to say the democratic party didn't go against southern politics?

To further clarify my earlier post, it was under President Lyndon B Johnson that many leaders in the democratic party came out in support of civil rights legislation, including the president himself. Do you remember his famous quote after signing the 1964 Civil Rights Act? About having lost the south for generation? It turned out to be true. Wouldn't you say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections