Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 04:49 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times

Advertisements

The Dow ended today at 10,365.45.

On Bill Clinton's last day in the Oval Office, it ended at 10,587.59.

That's almost 8 years of stock market growth wiped out.

I am SO glad I'm not depending on anything in the stock market (can anyone say 501K?) for my retirement.

Can we afford four more years of this? From a person who has openly admitted that economics is something he has never really understood??

I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 05:49 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
The market goes up. The market goes down. If you had money in the stock market today, and it went down, and you kept buying, you would be glad in years to come. Because when the market is down you are buying stocks "on sale" and then they increase in price when the market goes back up, which it always does. Investing is not something you do for the short term, you do it over many years, because the market DOES fluctuate. But over the course of 30 years or so you are most likely going to have a nice return on your money.

I have money in a 401k. I'm not taking a cent out. I'll ride it out and everything will be fine. I saw today that stocks may lost as much as 30%. I can handle that, because I know that sooner are later they are going to go back up and I will recover all I lost and more.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:52 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The market goes up. The market goes down. If you had money in the stock market today, and it went down, and you kept buying, you would be glad in years to come. Because when the market is down you are buying stocks "on sale" and then they increase in price when the market goes back up, which it always does. Investing is not something you do for the short term, you do it over many years, because the market DOES fluctuate. But over the course of 30 years or so you are most likely going to have a nice return on your money.

I have money in a 401k. I'm not taking a cent out. I'll ride it out and everything will be fine. I saw today that stocks may lost as much as 30%. I can handle that, because I know that sooner are later they are going to go back up and I will recover all I lost and more.
What about those of us who are older, who do not have many years left, and need the money for our retirement now? Should we be concerned?

Old 09-29-2008, 05:53 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
For those who don't realize it, the stock market is a gamble. There's no guarantee of a profit.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:53 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:

I think her point is that the first 6 years of the Bush administration were prosperity in the aggregate and amazing after 9/11. In the last year since the peak of October 2007 anything good he had done is now gone and his legacy is only one of total failure. The only question for the American people is do they want to elect McCain and continue the wrong direction and have his presidency at the level of the first Bush.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:41 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
The market goes up. The market goes down.
True enough. But the market lost almost 7% today. A 7% loss in year makes for a bad year. But a 7% loss in a day??

Quote:
Investing is not something you do for the short term, you do it over many years, because the market DOES fluctuate. But over the course of 30 years or so you are most likely going to have a nice return on your money.
Again, true enough ... but having the net effect of almost 8 years being a wash? If someone is counting on 30 years of investing in the market and 8 of those 30 years are the last 8, that's zero growth for more than a quarter of those 30 years. That potentially puts a helluva dent in the end total.

Quote:
And you're fortunate to be able to do that - some people can't. Many companies moved away from company pensions and went with 401(k)s, so there are many, many people out there who are really counting on money that, right now, is greatly diminished from what it was yesterday, and shows zero growth for the last 8 years.

My wife and I are both retired, on good pensions, and don't have to depend on any money invested in the stock market. For people who are retired and who are depending on their 401(k) for income, they just took a body blow, and we don't know what tomorrow may bring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections