Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:51 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,541,014 times

Advertisements

I have nothing against homeless people voting, but shouldn't they at least proof who they are....they could be convicted felons, sex offenders illegal aliens, etc.....

I heard that they can vote....this campaign makes me think certain people in this country do anything to win and have their candidate win this election which makes it IMO a fraudelent election.

In other countries only people who have identification papers and an address can vote. This to prevent fraud. People get their voting cards send to their address (or you have to give notice that you are away and they will send it to another address if you have proof) to avoid fraud.

In Florida the laws have changed and convicted felons can vote but only the non violence one, so who can proof that the homeless who have no identification are who they are and aren't convicted felons convicted on murder, etc....

If the Dem. take them on a bus to get them to the voting precinct, what else are they giving them to get their vote? Food, money, etc, what does it cost for the Dem. to get that vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 08:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,726,924 times
You say you have nothing against homeless people voting, but every other statement in your post shows you do. Does Ohio ask for ID when people vote? Other states do. And the Republicans have been recruiting for people to be poll-watchers, who will be looking specifically for voter fraud. The scarier thing is that Democrats seem to be for getting more and more people to vote, Republicans seem to be making it more restrictive. What makes a good voter? Can't someone who's suffered some major setbacks still be intelligent and informed? Don't their viewpoints deserve to be represented in the voting tallies?

Old 10-01-2008, 08:56 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,024,276 times
Voter Registration

"You are eligible to vote in elections held in your voting precinct more than 30 consecutive days after you are duly registered to vote in this state."

You might be thinking of this: Provisional Voting

And - Fun Fact! The voter is ALONE in the voting booth!

Last edited by delusianne; 10-01-2008 at 09:07 AM..

Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,969,443 times
Just because you're homeless doesn't mean you are without identification. I would hope that anybody going to vote would have to show ID. I do. What makes you think that any precinct worker would allow a person without ID to vote, whether a millionaire or a homeless person? As long as you are registered to vote and show proof at the time of registration of your identity and proof of ID at the time of voting, ANYBODY who is a US citizen and not a felon (other than non-violent felons in Florida) may vote.

And what makes you think that republicans aren't also getting homeless people to register to vote? Oh, that's right, republicans don't believe in helping people who are less fortunate than themselves.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:59 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,333,445 times
A lot of homeless people are middle-class families now, living in shelters. They probably have ID.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:00 AM

532 posts, read 905,891 times
Homeless people are the country's poorest, most destitute, most in need of some sort of help. Of course they should be able to vote. Most homeless people were once just like you. They may have had a run of bad luck, or a mental illness, or a drug problem that landed them on the streets. They are still citizens of this country and of course they should be allowed to vote. It is ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:03 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,526,955 times
Their voices should be heard too...I think it is unamerican to think that they should not count because they are homeless...

Old 10-01-2008, 09:05 AM

293 posts, read 568,346 times
...if you meet your state's rules for voting then you should be able to vote...end of story.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,839,834 times
I wonder where their voter registration cards were mailed? You can't mail a registration card to a cardboard box in the alley. Sounds like these people may have had homes very recently.

A lot of people are suddenly homeless now--some are Iraq veterans with disabilities, some are victims of the economy, some saw their jobs shipped oversees. You bet people in these situations want to vote.

Hmmm, your big fear seems to be about sex offenders/illegal aliens/etc. I wonder if you know that you can be any of those things and own a home.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:11 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,910,341 times
If the state of Ohio is dumb enough to let people vote without ID then so be it. I have never been to a voting location where I was not required to show ID. I doubt it's different in Ohio. Are you really using this as an excuse for Mccain losing and not that idiot Palin, the decisions he makes of the fact that he is a boob?

For someone who posts about other people making excuses, stretching for conspiracies and Dems being "scared" of Palin, your post is truly hypocritical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections