Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 11:18 AM
S65 S65 started this thread

92 posts, read 85,186 times

Advertisements

This guy is right in EVERY election. It looks like Obama is going to win Florida too!

Obama has this wrapped up!!!!!

FiveThirtyEight.com: Electoral Projections Done Right: Today's Polls, 10/1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 11:26 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,273 times
Don't get too cocky now! We need to make sure we stay on our game and get the vote out. If you are into volunteering, I know that moveon.org has calling parties where callers from non-swing states call moveon members in swing states to recruit them to volunteer at registration booths in colleges in democratic areas. Maybe that would be a good idea for you.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:07 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
I seem to remember the same declaration a while back. If the election was this coming Tuesday, I'd be worried. A lot can happen in 4-5 weeks.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S65 View Post
This guy is right in EVERY election. It looks like Obama is going to win Florida too!

Obama has this wrapped up!!!!!

FiveThirtyEight.com: Electoral Projections Done Right: Today's Polls, 10/1
I see his charts on the history of votes in past elections, but I do not see his past picks in previous elections compared to observational results. Maybe I am missing it, but could you point me to the charts that does this? Again, I would like to see the history of his projections in the past elections compared to the actual turn out of the election. This will allow us to see if his "method" is consistently able to properly project or if he is way off base.

Don't forget we got ourselves into a lot of trouble over the past elections by putting too much faith in the projection models and too little into the peoples actual votes.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:15 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I seem to remember the same declaration a while back. If the election was this coming Tuesday, I'd be worried. A lot can happen in 4-5 weeks.
Even then you can't be sure. the Gore/Bush projections were way off in silly ville all the way up to the election and including during the reporting of the districts. When it is over, then it is over. Until then, I ain't making any bets.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:15 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
I'm not going to celebrate until the polls officially close & we have an actual winner. These polls constantly go up & down until right before the election, they're not an accurate decider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections