Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 02:01 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I'm on another planet.
I know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 02:07 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Shrubs View Post
Calling on the republicans!
Are you sick of picking the lesser of two evils? Are you sick of the patronizing politicians in Washington? Are you sick of Fox news media bias in this country? Are you sick of the same lines politicians talks about instead of the real issues and real solutions?

The politicians should be working for us, for this country, and not for the corporations or for themselves.

We need a real change! Vote for the independent candidates you support!
i don't think that conservative republicans could vote for a candidate who is the most liberal member of congress. it is too far removed from their ideology.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:22 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Is Obama more "liberal" than Pelosi?

Old 10-02-2008, 02:27 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Is Obama more "liberal" than Pelosi?

Not sure but Obama has conviction UNLIKE sell out- betraying Pelosi who has NONE.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:29 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
Do you not understand that if Nader had not run, the votes that went to him would have gone to the Democratic ticket? By nature of their beliefs, when a 3rd party candidate gets votes, those are votes that most likely would have gone to the democrats. In that respect, yes, Nader probably made a big contribution toward Bush being elected.

people should be able to vote for any candidate that they want without having other people trying to make them feel guilty for their choice. if your candidate is strong enough he /she will win the election regardless.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:31 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
I think "sending a message" has validity, but given the situation of our country right now, this election is too important to effectively throw away your vote on a 3rd party candidate.
If you feel that there is no real difference between the major party candidates, then voting 3rd party is NOT throwing away your vote.

America loses with McCain or Obama in the White House. Lesser of two evils? It depends on the issue.

Vote Libertarian!

Old 10-02-2008, 02:33 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
people should be able to vote for any candidate that they want without having other people trying to make them feel guilty for their choice. if your candidate is strong enough he /she will win the election regardless.

As someone who was Obama than Independent than Mccain . Now not sure lol. I agree .

I voted twice before voted first Pres election and second both times knew who I liked stayed with them this time go back and forth.

Ofcourse local election is easy enough as just vote against every incumbent .

Old 10-02-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty, I just think people should be uber-aware of the consequences of their actions.

And it's not true that if a candidate is strong enough he will win. Good does not always triumph over evil Right now, we could have a 3rd party candidate that is stronger than either the Republican or Democrat and there is no way they would win.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
If you feel that there is no real difference between the major party candidates, then voting 3rd party is NOT throwing away your vote.

America loses with McCain or Obama in the White House. Lesser of two evils? It depends on the issue.

Vote Libertarian!
I'm not talking about how you "feel," I'm talking about practicalities here. A 3rd party vote will not be a part of the major decision-making in this election. UNLESS it's to potentially take votes away from the "lesser evil."

Old 10-02-2008, 02:58 PM

532 posts, read 859,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Well, I honestly don't see what voting for a fringe candidate will do to end "patronizing politicians," "media bias," or the same old lines. I mean, it's not like the other party candidates aren't politicians, as well! In fact, some of them are actually lobbyists or one-issue candidates -- that's worse!

Don't get me wrong, as an Independent, I wish we had more parties and more choices. But there has to be a commitment to building more viable parties and this would take some masterful politicking by powerful individuals who know how to mobilize the grassroots.
If enough people weren't afraid, and voted for a 3rd party, then it would be a "major" party. It could begin with you. or me. Most everything starts out "grassroots". Who is the brave soul who will dare speak out first? This is a great time to vote for whom you respect. Since neither of the 2 parties are worth voting for, you are not wasting your vote.
I certainly don't feel that I am thowing away my vote, for not voting for either of the 2. If one was better than the other--maybe--but they are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections