U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2008, 02:23 PM
 
3,555 posts, read 4,920,389 times
Reputation: 2229

Advertisements

Sorry to see this thread get hijacked by the "you're a racist" crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2008, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Mount Dora, FL
1,547 posts, read 1,359,358 times
Reputation: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
your right. obama is the "man" for that job. once he opens the department of happy, he can starting sprinkling happy dust on top of the heads of his countrymen. he is also going to cast a spell and make everyone get along. why, there isn't anything he won't do with his brand new department of happy.
I didn't understand anything you wrote here....Stop your babbling....You McCain supporters have nothing left to talk about so you resort to whining....geez...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 02:24 PM
 
1,372 posts, read 2,418,711 times
Reputation: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
look at the states that have the highest number of threads started on this site. it's nothing but people running away from the states that they ruined.
I wish I could find my post on high-tech Northern transplant malcontents who think Applebee's is a great restaurant and also recently moved to North Carolina or Florida only to despise it because it doesn't have that cushy liberal feel like Boston. Then they go home to their apartments and play with cats...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 02:26 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
16,126 posts, read 14,152,683 times
Reputation: 4935
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
jmarquis hit the nail right on the head when he commented on this post -- Progressives make states unlivable. There is a literal 'exodus' of people leaving blue states like the ones mentioned (Michigan included) for Southern, red states.

What do you swooping, screeching liberals think about that? Your good buddy Michael Moore is from one of these states in decline... Hey, I'd be mad too!!! Flint, Michigan..... sigh.......they'll never get it! Taxes and ghettos make people leave!!!
Plenty of people moving here to Washington State - and we're a Blue State.

People move around for a lot of reasons. Lots of Baby-boomer are moving south for the warmth. Others are moving to Red states because the cost of living is lower there (generally because there are less people there and therefor less competition for housing food etc). As a place becomes more crowded (because it's popular) prices for everything go up. States become a victim of their own success (California is a prime example of this). It has nothing to do with being Red or Blue.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 2,383,532 times
Reputation: 835
I am not a mccain supporter. you don't understand making fun of the notion that a politician is going to make your life better? if you can't understand a simple notion like that, I can't help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
I didn't understand anything you wrote here....Stop your babbling....You McCain supporters have nothing left to talk about so you resort to whining....geez...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 02:29 PM
 
3,278 posts, read 3,145,305 times
Reputation: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Great news, he is going to pull out of Pen sooner or later.
Pen is looking about 55/39 Obama last I checked. If anything he should have pulled out of there long ago.

Michigan has been steady Obama but now I'd comfortably say that it's solid Obama. I'm so proud of my state full of screwups!

Palin's popularity here has tumbled 14 points, Obama's stock is rising.

PPP puts it at 51/41 Obama.

PPP Poll: Obama Expands Lead in Michigan -- Political Wire (http://politicalwire.com/archives/2008/10/02/ppp_poll_obama_expands_lead_in_michigan.html - broken link)

The CNN/Time numbers are pretty depressing for McCain:

Florida: Obama 51%, McCain 47%

Minnesota: Obama 54%, McCain 43%

Missouri: Obama 49%, McCain 48%

Nevada: Obama 51%, McCain 47%

Virginia: Obama 53%, McCain 44%(!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

CNN/Time: Obama Gaining in Battlegrounds -- Political Wire (http://politicalwire.com/archives/2008/10/01/cnntime_obama_gaining_in_battlegrounds.html - broken link)

Maybe this is a smart move, Obama's debate performance and Palins unpopularity have solidified the Kerry states. McCain now better focus on winning Florida and Ohio. But even with both of those states, if Obama carries CO(likely) and NM(assured) out west, it's game over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 02:30 PM
 
1,372 posts, read 2,418,711 times
Reputation: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Plenty of people moving here to Washington State - and we're a Blue State.

People move around for a lot of reasons. Lots of Baby-boomer are moving south for the warmth. Others are moving to Red states because the cost of living is lower there (generally because there are less people there and therefor less competition for housing food etc). As a place becomes more crowded (because it's popular) prices for everything go up. States become a victim of their own success (California is a prime example of this). It has nothing to do with being Red or Blue.

Ken
The 'general trend' shows people moving South to the Red bible belt... Washington is an anomoly if you are right. Sir, unless you live in a dreamy world, you would know this exodus is because of JOBS...

Businesses left the unionized North for the business friendly South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 02:31 PM
 
Location: In Transition
1,304 posts, read 899,812 times
Reputation: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Didn't most people leave Michigan long ago? Why are most solidly blue states usually 'Northern Rust Belt' states with populations in decline...?

-New York
-Pennsylvania
-Michigan
-Illinois
I can answer that (as I came from PA) [except for New York where that's a different story]. Pretty much the majority of the population in those areas are old, retired union members of various kinds who will vote Democratic no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 02:33 PM
 
1,372 posts, read 2,418,711 times
Reputation: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
I can answer that (as I came from PA) [except for New York where that's a different story]. Pretty much the majority of the population in those areas are old, retired union members of various kinds who will vote Democratic no matter what.
Thank you for making my point. Lazy old unproductve union members will LOVE O-bomb-A!!! Unfortunately I think the socialist will win...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 02:34 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
16,126 posts, read 14,152,683 times
Reputation: 4935
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
The 'general trend' shows people moving South to the Red bible belt... Washington is an anomoly if you are right. Sir, unless you live in a dreamy world, you would know this exodus is because of JOBS...

Businesses left the unionized North for the business friendly South.
An over-generalization.
Us Baby-boomers aren't moving south for jobs.
We (at least a lot of us) are moving south because of the weather - and there are a LOT of us.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top