Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 06:56 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,699,542 times

Advertisements

I've been listening to pundits all afternoon saying that expectations are so low for Sarah Palin, that she can just show up and not make any major mistakes and declare tonight a victory.

Well, I say f*** that! I don't care how stupid she is. I don't care how inexperienced she is. I don't care how bad she is at answering questions. I don't care how innocent and ladylike she seems. I don't care how protected by the McCain camp she is. I don't care how uninformed she is. I don't care how ridiculous she is.

She DOES NOT get a free pass at tonight's debate, just for showing up and stating her name correctly. My expectations of her are as high as any other VP candidate, if not higher. She's running for Vice President, and she'd better be able to be convince me and the rest of the country that she is ready and able to serve as VPOTUS, and potentially POTUS, or she will LOSE this debate.

She should be held to the same standards that any VP candidate would. Her convention acceptance speech was mainly about attacking Obama. A lot of her stump speeches have evolved around attacking Obama and Biden. She needs to spend muh less time tonight attacking Biden's and Obama's policies and character, and much more time proving her worth and proving that she deserves to be standing there on that stage tonight. I think she's an idiot who doesn't deserve to be where she is. But just because she's way out of her league, doesn't mean I'm going to lower my expectations of her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 06:57 PM

425 posts, read 664,452 times
Good - are you going to hold Biden to the same standards?

Old 10-02-2008, 06:58 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,249,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
I've been listening to pundits all afternoon saying that expectations are so low for Sarah Palin, that she can just show up and not make any major mistakes and declare tonight a victory.

Well, I say f*** that! I don't care how stupid she is. I don't care how inexperienced she is. I don't care how bad she is at answering questions. I don't care how innocent and ladylike she seems. I don't care how protected by the McCain camp she is. I don't care how uninformed she is. I don't care how ridiculous she is.

She DOES NOT get a free pass at tonight's debate, just for showing up and stating her name correctly. My expectations of her are as high as any other VP candidate, if not higher. She's running for Vice President, and she'd better be able to be convince me and the rest of the country that she is ready and able to serve as VPOTUS, and potentially POTUS, or she will LOSE this debate.

She should be held to the same standards that any VP candidate would. Just because she's way out of her league, doesn't mean I'm going to lower my expectations of her.
What she said!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
Good - are you going to hold Biden to the same standards?
Of course.

However, most people haven't set the bar so low for Biden that he can basically show up and declare his debate a victory. Expectations have been set FAR lower for Palin than for Biden. Biden is not the issue when it comes to this matter of low expectations regarding the VP debate.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:15 PM

For anyone judging both candidates with the same stick, Palin lost this debate, plain and simple.

No, she didn't crash and burn, but she DID basically flat out refuse to answer ANY of the questions that were posed to her, all the while meandering back to energy (and incidentally, Alaska) with the majority of her canned responses. She just got through the 90 minutes by attacking her opponents (sometimes truthfully, oftentimes misleadingly) and giving the non-answers that were fed to her by her handlers, even if they were completely unrelated to the questions she was asked.

The bar was set so low for her that it was basically laying on the floor, and she was able to do a good job reading her canned responses from her notecards. Because of those two facets of the debate, many conservatives are probably declaring Palin's performance a victory. However, for those of us who actually paid attention to what was said during the candidates' responses, as related to the questions asked, Biden won this debate....BY FAR.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:19 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,574,975 times
Quote:
For anyone judging both candidates with the same stick, Palin lost this debate, plain and simple.

No, she didn't crash and burn, but she DID basically flat out refuse to answer ANY of the questions that were posed to her, all the while meandering back to energy (and incidentally, Alaska) with the majority of her canned responses. She just got through the 90 minutes by attacking her opponents (sometimes truthfully, oftentimes misleadingly) and giving the non-answers that were fed to her by her handlers, even if they were completely unrelated to the questions she was asked.

The bar was set so low for her that it was basically laying on the floor, and she was able to do a good job reading her canned responses from her notecards. Because of those two facets of the debate, many conservatives are probably declaring Palin's performance a victory. However, for those of us who actually paid attention to what was said during the candidates' responses, as related to the questions asked, Biden won this debate....BY FAR.
Yep.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:22 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,332,342 times
Quote:

lol and Biden didn't look at his cards ? He was constantly looking at them. Palin took the old boy to school tonight and creamed the old fella .

Old 10-02-2008, 09:22 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,282,885 times
Yeah, I pretty much agree. She didn't fall apart and she presented herself pretty well (the eye contact with the camera audience was particularly good), but you are right. There were a LOT of questions that she didn't even make an attempt at answering. She dodged the hard questions and kept returning to canned responses. Biden avoided a couple of questions at the beginning but overall answered the questions he was asked.

Overall, I think Biden did a much better job, but Palin didn't freeze up so McCain supporters will no doubt feel she won.

Ken

Old 10-02-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
lol and Biden didn't look at his cards ? He was constantly looking at them. Palin took the old boy to school tonight and creamed the old fella .
Biden quite obviously did not use notecards to directly recite canned responses he'd been coached on all week at "debate camp." Palin quite obviously did, even if her responses did not match up with the questions she had just been asked.

There's no comparison between the two, doggonit! (<---speakin' Palinese for ya!)

Old 10-02-2008, 11:29 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,072,704 times
The women of today need a female role model.

-a powerful woman
-a fearless woman
-a woman who can relate to anyone
-a woman who is a chameleon - a changeable or inconstant person
-a woman who can play the man's game
-a woman who is resilient
-a woman with goals
-a woman whose sole purpose is to fulfill those goals
-a superwoman

Who could that be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections