Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:39 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
Hi all,
While I think Joe won the debate handily, both in economy and foreign policy, I was SHOCKED to see Sarah do so well! She did not answer a lot of the questions and kept going back to the comfort zone (oil) but she made no obvious gaffs! And I will admit, I was expecting a lot of them from her!!!

Studying surely paid off!!!
Just try not to wink at us, it looks to "cutsie" for lack of a better word.
I understand how many people like her accent but I find it so annoying.

And if that is all I can really complain about, I say, well done Sarah!

Will this be a game changer? Nope. Will she win a few votes tonight? Maybe...but not many.

Will Joe win a few votes tonight? I really think so. He showed such restraint!!! He did not even correct Sarah when she said names wrong!!!

I still think Obama will win.

How far off base am I?

having seen your previous posts, i have total respect for your answer and appreciate people on the board being honest. i think that the hardcore supporters of both sides won't consider changing their votes. my reasoning for the edge with palin is that she comes in from a different place, being a governor, and will bring a different perspective to washington. some of our senators and representatives are letting this country down so i am not sure that they can even see things the way that the average american does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 03:59 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Hi all,
While I think Joe won the debate handily, both in economy and foreign policy, ...
How far off base am I?
I think you're way off base.

I don't know how anyone could possibly think that Joe Biden won. Sarah Palin cleaned his clock a number of times, and she did it with a smile. I don't think Biden scored any points at all against Palin, at least none that I remember.

She was extremely confident, smiling as she listened to Biden's answers. When I saw her begin that huge smile, I knew that she knew how she was going to answer. She never faltered once.

Joe Biden, to me, looked stunned that she was doing so well, and nodded his head in agreement to many of her answers.

On the whole, I think this was one of the best debates I have ever seen. No interrupting an opponent, no shouting the other down. Both were very considerate of their opponent, and very polite.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:12 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Default Joe's an idiot, here's why.

Quote:
Hi all,
While I think Joe won the debate handily, both in economy and foreign policy, I was SHOCKED to see Sarah do so well! She did not answer a lot of the questions and kept going back to the comfort zone (oil) but she made no obvious gaffs! And I will admit, I was expecting a lot of them from her!!!

Will this be a game changer? Nope. Will she win a few votes tonight? Maybe...but not many.

Will Joe win a few votes tonight? I really think so. He showed such restraint!!! He did not even correct Sarah when she said names wrong!!!

How far off base am I?
The reason she kept coming back to oil is, nothing else works if we fail to secure energy independence.

At the beginning of the debate Sen. Biden was asked..

Ifill: The House of Representatives this week passed a bill, a big bailout bill -- or didn't pass it, I should say. The Senate decided to pass it, and the House is wrestling with it still tonight.
As America watches these things happen on Capitol Hill, Senator Biden, was this the worst of Washington or the best of Washington that we saw play out?

Biden: I think it's neither the best or worst of Washington, but it's evidence of the fact that the economic policies of the last eight years have been the worst economic policies we've ever had. As a consequence, you've seen what's happened on Wall Street.
If you need any more proof positive of how bad the economic theories have been, this excessive deregulation, the failure to oversee what was going on, letting Wall Street run wild, I don't think you needed any more evidence than what you see now.

Palin: Now, John McCain thankfully has been one representing reform. Two years ago, remember, it was John McCain who pushed so hard with the Fannie Mae (NYSE:FNM) and Freddie Mac (NYSE:FRE) reform measures. He sounded that warning bell.
People in the Senate with him, his colleagues, didn't want to listen to him and wouldn't go towards that reform that was needed then. I think that the alarm has been heard, though, and there will be that greater oversight, again thanks to John McCain's bipartisan efforts that he was so instrumental in bringing folks together over this past week, even suspending his own campaign to make sure he was putting excessive politics aside and putting the country first.

What Sen. Biden fails to mention is that the White House was pushing for GSE reform in 2003 and every year thereafter, but ran into stiff resistance by democrats that followed party lines closely who were apparently not particularly concerned about “this excessive deregulation”. In 2006 McCain made an impassioned plea for support of S. 190 which he cosponsored with Hagel, Dole and Sanunu. It was opposed by the dems, including Sen. Obama. The same one who mocked Sen. McCain three days ago at one of his rallies-for-the-uninformed by saying “took him three tries to get it done” leaving out the part about how he and the other dems fought it tooth, nail and filibuster. Biden must have been watching those Palin interviews and thought he could get this one past her. But, she nailed him on his and Obama's bold faced lies and complete hippocracy!

Nice job Sarah!!!

As for the “ worst we've ever had” line, here's a little perspective.
• Carter: Interest rate, 21%. Inflation, 13.5%. Unemployment, 7%. The so-called “Misery Index,” which Carter used to great effect in his 1976 campaign to win election, 20.5%.
• Reagan’s last year: Interest rate, 9%. Inflation, 4.1%. Unemployment, 5.5%. Misery Index, 9.6%.
• Bush today: Interest rate, 8%. Inflation, 2.6%. Unemployment, 4.5%. Misery Index, 7.1%.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:13 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Hi all,

How far off base am I?
They both made their mistakes, but Biden's were more numerous and more critical. Biden didn't even know that Article I of the COTUS is about the legislative branch not the executive. This, coupled with his lack of knowledge about Hoover being Presidente in '29 questions his intellect.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:18 AM

Default Are you kiddind me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Sarah came off as over practiced. Very rehearsed.
She threw digs at Biden but Biden didn't take the bait, making her look even more ridiculous.
This woman is ridiculous.
How can people give her credit, they have dumbed down things so low to make her passable.

"Number two, with regard to bankruptcy now, Gwen, what we should be doing now -- and Barack Obama and I support it -- we should be allowing bankruptcy courts to be able to re-adjust not just the interest rate you're paying on your mortgage to be able to stay in your home, but be able to adjust the principal that you owe, the principal that you owe.
That would keep people in their homes, actually help banks by keeping it from going under. But..."

Banks failing due to bad paper and Professor Einstein tosses this one out there. Yeah, that Palin needs to get a clue!

Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The reason she kept coming back to oil is, nothing else works if we fail to secure energy independence.

At the beginning of the debate Sen. Biden was asked..

Ifill: The House of Representatives this week passed a bill, a big bailout bill -- or didn't pass it, I should say. The Senate decided to pass it, and the House is wrestling with it still tonight.
As America watches these things happen on Capitol Hill, Senator Biden, was this the worst of Washington or the best of Washington that we saw play out?

Biden: I think it's neither the best or worst of Washington, but it's evidence of the fact that the economic policies of the last eight years have been the worst economic policies we've ever had. As a consequence, you've seen what's happened on Wall Street.
If you need any more proof positive of how bad the economic theories have been, this excessive deregulation, the failure to oversee what was going on, letting Wall Street run wild, I don't think you needed any more evidence than what you see now.

Palin: Now, John McCain thankfully has been one representing reform. Two years ago, remember, it was John McCain who pushed so hard with the Fannie Mae (NYSE:FNM) and Freddie Mac (NYSE:FRE) reform measures. He sounded that warning bell.
People in the Senate with him, his colleagues, didn't want to listen to him and wouldn't go towards that reform that was needed then. I think that the alarm has been heard, though, and there will be that greater oversight, again thanks to John McCain's bipartisan efforts that he was so instrumental in bringing folks together over this past week, even suspending his own campaign to make sure he was putting excessive politics aside and putting the country first.

What Sen. Biden fails to mention is that the White House was pushing for GSE reform in 2003 and every year thereafter, but ran into stiff resistance by democrats that followed party lines closely who were apparently not particularly concerned about “this excessive deregulation”. In 2006 McCain made an impassioned plea for support of S. 190 which he cosponsored with Hagel, Dole and Sanunu. It was opposed by the dems, including Sen. Obama. The same one who mocked Sen. McCain three days ago at one of his rallies-for-the-uninformed by saying “took him three tries to get it done” leaving out the part about how he and the other dems fought it tooth, nail and filibuster. Biden must have been watching those Palin interviews and thought he could get this one past her. But, she nailed him on his and Obama's bold faced lies and complete hippocracy!

Nice job Sarah!!!

As for the “ worst we've ever had” line, here's a little perspective.
• Carter: Interest rate, 21%. Inflation, 13.5%. Unemployment, 7%. The so-called “Misery Index,” which Carter used to great effect in his 1976 campaign to win election, 20.5%.
• Reagan’s last year: Interest rate, 9%. Inflation, 4.1%. Unemployment, 5.5%. Misery Index, 9.6%.
• Bush today: Interest rate, 8%. Inflation, 2.6%. Unemployment, 4.5%. Misery Index, 7.1%.
those are some excellent points!

Old 10-03-2008, 04:22 AM

Default S. 190 !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
----------------
I think those not sure about her of course not counting Obama supporters feel better about her and she will be back in the fold.

I do agree VP can only do so much and McCain has to win this for himself which he has not and unless some real change he will not.
S. 190, That's the change. Mainstream news wouldn't say a word about it, but now it's out there.

What a dolt Biden is for giving her an opening to bring it up!

Old 10-03-2008, 04:22 AM

42 posts, read 141,919 times
I'm so sick and tired of the MEDIA deciding everything for the American people. Their views are so biased it's sad that we are dumb enough to get sucked in. Folks, I hope you all make the decision from your heart in November and the good of your families. Don't be bullied into making a choice you'll regret! That's my advice to everyone. This isn't a game, this is about US!

Old 10-03-2008, 04:28 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Sarah came off as over practiced. Very rehearsed.
She threw digs at Biden but Biden didn't take the bait, making her look even more ridiculous.
This woman is ridiculous.
How can people give her credit, they have dumbed down things so low to make her passable.
Palin threw digs and Bidens threw them right back. That is what a debate is, especially in this day and age. They both did well!

Old 10-03-2008, 04:33 AM

Default They can run, but they can't hide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
I agree with you on this, but it doesn't answer my question from above. Also, don't be foolish, there's alot more to the lending crisis then the Clinton policy. That's another debate however...
Who started it won't be as important as who tried to fix it and was stopped by whom. Biden was dumb enough to give her an opening and she dropped a delayed fuse bomb. Look for S.190 to be in the vocabulary of half the voting public by Nov. 4th. The dems got their fingers in the cookie jar and the hockey mom is slappin' hands!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections