Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 02:37 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times

Advertisements

true, but I am a fan of states rights. I do want all government out of marriage, but chances are that won't happen, so I am happy they are doing it state by state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Thats still more government. Whether the feds do it or the states.. either way.. its still government getting involved..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 02:37 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
instead of adding laws that give gays rights, why not repeal the laws that took those rights from them? there must be laws on the books that makes it so they can't see their partners in the hospitals. the government just needs a huge eraser. they can get the retirement benefits VIA a will. most people have IRA's or 401k's.
okay as long as its an eraser I now see your point!
took a while.. sorry matet..

Old 10-03-2008, 02:38 PM

no, not gay people. I don't think married people should get benefits not extended to singles. I am not sure if they do, but some have been saying they get tax benefits. maybe I am wrong, I don't know. I only know how to do my own taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Who? Gay people?

Old 10-03-2008, 02:40 PM

that's cause I like to ramble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
okay as long as its an eraser I now see your point!
took a while.. sorry matet..

Old 10-03-2008, 02:41 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,408 times
I am neither Rep. or Dem., but I just wanted to comment on here that as an Independant I really think that the stance of "redefining marriage" is a intolerant one. To me, a committed same sex couple is the same thing as being married and I don't see why they can't just recognize that legally. Is it so scary for a polititian to actually support same-sex rights? I don't understand why there is not one person who will stand up and say I don't see a problem with it. Sheesh!

Old 10-03-2008, 02:43 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Tolerant is now an insult? Ok just trying to catch up on the PC watch out list. I'll add that to well spoken.
I am tolerant of my neighbors less than disiplined children.
I am tolerant of my neighbors and their cluttered yard.
I am tolerant of liberals who take every opprotunity to bash our soldiers.
I am even tolerant of my dog who never seems to miss the chance to lick its butt when we are eating.
Tolerant is what we should be of one another when we tend to disagree, disapprove or just flat out don't like one another.
She never said she would vote against or was against same sex unions. She said she didn't agree with it but would be tolerant of it..
She agreed with Biden that same sex unions deserve the same rights as traditional unions. She was against calling a same sex union marriage. No big deal.
Yes, you do need to catch up on word usage. Most people understand that today's use of "tolerant" ranks right up there with phrases like "bless your heart", calling someone's kids "precious" or using the word "interesting" when you can't think of anything good to say. The term now denotes having to exercise significant restraint against a group/idea so as not to cause harm. There is nothing caring or even humane in it's characterization. The word is outdated and no longer serves its intended purpose when it was overused in the 1980s. Words do evolve you know. For instance, we really don't use the word "gay" to refer to someone as being in high spirits or happy; although, this definition still exists in any dictionary.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:43 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Marriage Rights and Benefits (http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/ObjectID/E0366844-7992-4018-B581C6AE9BF8B045/catID/697DBAFE-20FF-467A-9E9395985EE7E825/118/304/192/ART/ - broken link)

Old 10-03-2008, 02:44 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
no, not gay people. I don't think married people should get benefits not extended to singles. I am not sure if they do, but some have been saying they get tax benefits. maybe I am wrong, I don't know. I only know how to do my own taxes.
As a married person I do not get any benefits that single people don't get other than being able to ride in the ambulance if my DH is taken to the hospital or the new last name. I don't get any tax write offs or anything like that for being married. I'm not sure if that changes when you have a higher income (we are not necessarily low income, but we make less than 75K a year) but I know for sure we don't get any tax cuts for being married.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:48 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Martha View Post
I am neither Rep. or Dem., but I just wanted to comment on here that as an Independant I really think that the stance of "redefining marriage" is a intolerant one. To me, a committed same sex couple is the same thing as being married and I don't see why they can't just recognize that legally. Is it so scary for a polititian to actually support same-sex rights? I don't understand why there is not one person who will stand up and say I don't see a problem with it. Sheesh!
I wish there were more independents like you! Would you submit to being cloned?

Old 10-03-2008, 02:51 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
It's the whole pro creation thing that's getting in the way.... If we could just overlook dying out after 1 generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections