Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:01 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,442 times

Advertisements

Biden said it in the debate, that they'd get banks to reduce the principle people owe ... right Joe, I'm buying that, ever hear of free market? And if they only reduce it on those folk in over their heads, then how is that fair to those of use busting our butts, working and making our payments ... on time. Talk about class warfare.

So tell Obiden by how much and how are you going to do it? You going to call my bank and say "Hey, reduce his mortgage debt by $50,000.00, $100,000.00" and the banks are going to say "OK what ever you say!" .. please!

If some of you people buy into these lies flooding from the Obama/Biden ticket, you're rightly deserve what you get. Look back over the years of all the promises they've made then weigh it against what they've done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 11:05 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,129 times
Exactly!!! The biggest mistake everyone is making is taking Obama at face value without looking into the true facts.....anyone can talk a big game but mark my words....if he is elected we won't see anything he's promised,....quite possibly even the oppostie,.....now that's scary!

Old 10-03-2008, 11:06 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
He never said he'd "get banks to reduce the principle people owe"- he said he'd like to give bankruptcy judges the ability to reduce principal amounts to help people avoid bankruptcy. Let's not put words in his mouth by skipping a dozen rungs on the ladder of inference- you make it sound like they want to pass a broad, sweeping reform to reduce the principal on every mortgage in America.............

Old 10-03-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Exactly!!! The biggest mistake everyone is making is taking Obama at face value without looking into the true facts.....anyone can talk a big game but mark my words....if he is elected we won't see anything he's promised,....quite possibly even the oppostie,.....now that's scary!
Sounds like the results after most elections, regardless of the winning party, doesn't it???

Old 10-03-2008, 03:03 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
He never said he'd "get banks to reduce the principle people owe"- he said he'd like to give bankruptcy judges the ability to reduce principal amounts to help people avoid bankruptcy. Let's not put words in his mouth by skipping a dozen rungs on the ladder of inference- you make it sound like they want to pass a broad, sweeping reform to reduce the principal on every mortgage in America.............
Heres a nutty idea, why don't the deadbeats that got in over there head pay their own d*** bills, I'm sick of bailing people, companies, Wall St, countries out ... and these loons on the left want to hand money out willy nilly, no I don't think so. If they're to stupid to manage their money and make their payments, then maybe they need to live under a bridge.

These people made the mistake, they made their beds, now sleep in it. Just because they lived beyond their means doesn't make it my problem ... but now Congress has with stupid Democrat pushed agenda, just did.

I'm to the point of storming Washington with pitch forks and tossing them all out.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:33 PM

129 posts, read 399,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Thanks Bob, exactly what I was going to say. That is what Biden said - he will give the bankruptcy judges the ability to reduce principal payments - to help people not go bankrupt. Who's going to pay their bills if they DO go bankrupt?

Old 10-03-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Heres a nutty idea, why don't the deadbeats that got in over there head pay their own d*** bills, I'm sick of bailing people, companies, Wall St, countries out ... and these loons on the left want to hand money out willy nilly, no I don't think so. If they're to stupid to manage their money and make their payments, then maybe they need to live under a bridge.

These people made the mistake, they made their beds, now sleep in it. Just because they lived beyond their means doesn't make it my problem ... but now Congress has with stupid Democrat pushed agenda, just did.

I'm to the point of storming Washington with pitch forks and tossing them all out.
Yup- and in the meantime, the bank ends up with a house that they can't sell, and eventually they get enough of those that they go crying to the government that they need a $700 billion bailout. So instead of helping some people who screwed up, let's help the bank that probably wrote them the mortgage knowing that they wouldn't be able to pay for it (but figured by the time it was a problem, they would bundle the mortgages together and sell them off- they'd be someone else's problem). At the same time, we'll create a glut of foreclosed homes, which makes it harder for people who did make their payments to sell there homes.

Is this the perfect solution? Of course not- but it'd be a lot better than the $700 billion cluster-**** that you and I just got stuck with while the corporations roll along as if nothing happened.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:26 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,207 times
What I heard this morning was about a bill being crafted that would allow every home buyer currently financed, regardless of their payment status, ie even folks like me who have a decent mortgage that they can afford, to refi based on 95% of current market value, with a 5.25% rate. The banks would be more stable with lower default rates, and people like me would be able to put more cash back into the economy. I came in late to the broadcast on NPR, but nothing I heard indicated it was the brainchild of either candidate. Hopefully someone here has more factual detail than I do presently, but it would be nice if folks stopped talking out their arses with opinions about something that isn't actually being clearly referenced.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:41 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
The wife and I feel like idiots now for not selling our house two years ago and moving into a McMansion financed 100%. We could have used the several hundred K from the sell of our current home to put into a pool and nicely furnish our palace. I know several who did such.

It seems Biden (according to last night) would reduce our principal and make all right with the world.

I am astonished at the lack of personal accountability and responsibility that is accepted as 'normal' in today's America.
Our nation must be full of complete morons. And now the conservative planners (like us) have to pay for this disaster.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:52 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,207 times
You betcha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections