U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-03-2008, 05:57 PM
 
12,620 posts, read 17,725,339 times
Reputation: 2988

Advertisements

Palestra.net has come across some information that Organizations like Faith Vote that are suppose to be NON_PARTISIAN are telling people to vote for Obama!

This is Outrageous and we should not settle for this....


Faith Vote Columbus is a coalition of religious congregations, neighborhood associations, and labor unions committed to:

1. Injecting issues of poverty and social justice into state and national elections
2. Increasing voter turnout in urban precincts with histories of low voter participation
3. Recruiting and training volunteers to engage in neighbor-to-neighbor non-partisan voter education campaigns on an on-going basis
4. Maximizing the political power of disenfranchised communities
5. Protecting the right to vote

About Us - Faith Vote Columbus (http://www.ohio-iaf.org/index.php?page=columbus_about - broken link)


BUT:

Palestra.net on Video has a woman saying she is telling people to vote for Obama:

Under video:
Non-Partisan Volunteer ?

Palestra.net ~ The College Network (http://www.palestra.net/news/politics/16494 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2009, 11:43 AM
 
8,743 posts, read 10,021,294 times
Reputation: 3384
Seems like some people of faith have some common sense!

"This is Outrageous and we should not settle for this...." Why not? They have every right to tell people who they think they should vote for. Kind of like how the CHURCH tells people to vote Republican.

What is so wrong with telling people to vote Obama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2009, 11:53 AM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,138,372 times
Reputation: 14878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post

Faith Vote Columbus is a coalition of religious congregations, neighborhood associations, and labor unions committed to:

1. Injecting issues of poverty and social justice into state and national elections
2. Increasing voter turnout in urban precincts with histories of low voter participation
3. Recruiting and training volunteers to engage in neighbor-to-neighbor non-partisan voter education campaigns on an on-going basis
4. Maximizing the political power of disenfranchised communities
5. Protecting the right to vote
Outrageous! How dare they!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 12:04 PM
 
12,620 posts, read 17,725,339 times
Reputation: 2988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Seems like some people of faith have some common sense!

"This is Outrageous and we should not settle for this...." Why not? They have every right to tell people who they think they should vote for. Kind of like how the CHURCH tells people to vote Republican.

What is so wrong with telling people to vote Obama?

I'll tell you............

While they were not taxed, they were also severely limited in what preachers could and could not discuss from the pulpit.
While this may seem extremely harsh and unfair, our country was designed for separation between church and state.

If they suggest or tell you how to vote, that could certainly sway many parishioners' opinions, unfairly.
According to the 501(c)(3) code, a religious organization can lose its tax-exempt status by openly speaking out, or organizing in opposition to, anything that the government declares legal even if it is immoral.
This includes abortion and stem cell research. A tax-exempt status is a privilege bestowed by the government and the IRS will have no problem taking it away.



Our Turn: Should churches that influence people to vote a certain way lose their tax exempt status? - MLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Earth. For now.
1,198 posts, read 1,715,851 times
Reputation: 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I'll tell you............

While they were not taxed, they were also severely limited in what preachers could and could not discuss from the pulpit.
While this may seem extremely harsh and unfair, our country was designed for separation between church and state.

If they suggest or tell you how to vote, that could certainly sway many parishioners' opinions, unfairly.
According to the 501(c)(3) code, a religious organization can lose its tax-exempt status by openly speaking out, or organizing in opposition to, anything that the government declares legal even if it is immoral.
This includes abortion and stem cell research. A tax-exempt status is a privilege bestowed by the government and the IRS will have no problem taking it away.



Our Turn: Should churches that influence people to vote a certain way lose their tax exempt status? - MLive.com

Exactly correct. Which is why so many evangelical churches should lose their tax-exempt status for encouraging people to vote Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 11:28 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,062 posts, read 99,087,775 times
Reputation: 31544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I'll tell you............

While they were not taxed, they were also severely limited in what preachers could and could not discuss from the pulpit.
While this may seem extremely harsh and unfair, our country was designed for separation between church and state.

If they suggest or tell you how to vote, that could certainly sway many parishioners' opinions, unfairly.
According to the 501(c)(3) code, a religious organization can lose its tax-exempt status by openly speaking out, or organizing in opposition to, anything that the government declares legal even if it is immoral.
This includes abortion and stem cell research. A tax-exempt status is a privilege bestowed by the government and the IRS will have no problem taking it away.



Our Turn: Should churches that influence people to vote a certain way lose their tax exempt status? - MLive.com
As you say yourself, "organizing in opposition to, anything that the govt. declares legal even if it is immoral". This included abortion. There are a lot of churches who should lose their tax-exempt status for organizing against abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top