Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 05:51 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
I know many, many educators who do not support Obama and are indeed voting for McCain in November....even those who are NEA members.
I know a ton of Educator's, not one who supports Senator McCain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 05:52 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
Read this:
FactCheck.org: Off Base on Sex Ed
"The bill also called for all sex education course materials to include information that would help students recognize, among other activities, inappropriate touching, sexual assault and rape"
Sorry, that's wrong. I provided the bill's legal documentation and Obama's campaign's own statement and a link to the materials they provided that proves otherwise. FactCheck never even looked at all of the documents. They just took Obama's word for it, which it turns out isn't worth much.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:56 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,251,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Sorry, that's wrong. I provided the bill's legal documentation and Obama's campaign's own statement and a link to the materials they provided that proves otherwise. FactCheck never even looked at all of the documents. They just took Obama's word for it, which it turns out isn't worth much.
Well, forgive me, but I am choosing to believe factcheck rather than the biased post of one individual.
FactCheck.org: About FactCheck.org

Last edited by vickilynn; 10-04-2008 at 06:07 PM..

Old 10-04-2008, 06:05 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Well, forgive me, but I am chosing to believe factcheck rather than the biased post of one individual.
FactCheck.org: About FactCheck.org
Give it up VL....you are dealing with mentalities who think Limbaugh is truthful and who get their "news/views" from Faux.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:07 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
I think that there are two issues here --- obama and the NEA.

Personally, I think the NEA is a corrupted institution more geared to protecting itself then facillitating actual change for what is wrong with Americas educational system. To whit --- it covers its bloated ass rather than admit to past mistakes.

I too know a lot of teachers...most of whom will be voting for Obama. But, when the issue turns to the NEA -- they cannot stand it, and have no respect for it. And that tells me a lot.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:10 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
NEA: NEA applauds Sen. Obama's comprehensive approach to education reform (http://www.nea.org/newsreleases/2008/nr090908.html - broken link)
NEA: NEA applauds Sen. Obama for outstanding vice presidential selection (http://www.nea.org/newsreleases/2008/nr080823.html - broken link)

As an educator in one of Virginia's public high schools, I am encouraged by all of the Obama/Biden bumper stickers and car magnets that I see in my school's parking lot! If you care at all about public education, vote Obama in November!
I am a teacher. If you can name me three positive changes the Democrats have made to public education the last 25 years, I will vote for Obama.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I think that there are two issues here --- obama and the NEA.

Personally, I think the NEA is a corrupted institution more geared to protecting itself then facillitating actual change for what is wrong with Americas educational system. To whit --- it covers its bloated ass rather than admit to past mistakes.

I too know a lot of teachers...most of whom will be voting for Obama. But, when the issue turns to the NEA -- they cannot stand it, and have no respect for it. And that tells me a lot.
I agree to a point. Change needs to come from within. Irrespective of the NEA endorsement, every teacher I have spoken with at my high school is voting Obama.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Give it up VL....you are dealing with mentalities who think Limbaugh is truthful and who get their "news/views" from Faux.
Not quite. The reason I know what actually happened is because I'm involved in the Illinois legislative process. I provided links to the actual Illinois General Assembly's legal documents and the source Obama's campaign referenced by way of explanation of what a kindergarten Sex Ed curriculum would be (SIECUS curriculum for kindergarteners).

Notice how NO ONE ELSE, including the so-called 'FactCheck,' mentions the bill's amendment retracting the grade levels to the original grades 6-12? Or the bill's status timeline to see that the only vote that took place was BEFORE that amendment? That's because they don't know what happened. I do.

You all are being played, and falling for it without even bothering to look into the truth.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not quite. The reason I know what actually happened is because I'm involved in the Illinois legislative process. I provided links to the actual Illinois General Assembly's legal documents and the source Obama's campaign referenced by way of explanation of what a kindergarten Sex Ed curriculum would be (SEICUS curriculum for kindergarteners).

Notice how NO ONE ELSE, including the so-called 'FactCheck,' mentions the bill's amendment retracting the grade levels to the original grades 6-12? Or the bill's status timeline to see that the only vote that took place was BEFORE that amendment? That's because they don't know what happened. I do.

You all are being played, and falling for it without even bothering to look into the truth.
In any case, "sex ed" for kindergarteners is not a negative.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
In any case, "sex ed" for kindergarteners is not a negative.
Then why do you all call the ad stating Obama's exact position on this perverse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections