U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 01:45 AM

2,383 posts, read 4,077,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
We only have 6% unemployment. Which means, most Americans are working. Things are a little more costly right now but I don't think we'll be on soup lines any time soon. While the dems say Repub's make you fear terrorism (which is real), the Dems want to scare us over the economy. They created this current mess and are using it to help elect Hussein Obama...

The housing market is just one sector of our economy...Like McCain said the fundamentals of our economy are fine.
Actually our unemployment rate is higher than that but you have to look at what is considered the unemployment rate. The unemployment rate only counts those that are actively looking for a job, meaning that if you lost your job a year ago and never found work and finally just gave up, you are no longer considered part of the unemployment rate. Our fundamentals are not fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 01:49 AM
NCN

14,085 posts, read 12,314,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Obviously, your family doesn't vote on the issues or policy stances. The way you vote, and the way your family votes, is why our candidates spend so much time developing these simplistic jingoistic phrases that tear at people's emotions while saying virtually nothing about issues and policy.

Can you name a single non-emotional reason to switch from voting for Gore to McCain? How about for why your daughter could possibly go from Hillary to McCain (if that is actually what she'll do alone in the booth)?

Obama doesn't seem to be big on freedom? What does that actually mean?
He is not big on freedom of speech, he is not big on freedom of religion, he is not big on freedom of a baby to live, he is not big on the right to bear arms. The man is absolutely scary.

How dare you suggest to me that my daughter is a liar. I have never once told her how to vote or how to register. My mother taught me to think for myself and I taught my children the same. That is how I ended up with one child that is a democrat and one that is republican. I also taught them to tell the truth even when it is not convenient.

Obama is not the person that is best for America. Four very independent thinking people have decided that on their own. And yes, we all hope McCain/Palin ticket wins.

In case you didn't learn this, there is nothing wrong with emotions. God gave us every emotion that we have.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:02 AM

6,840 posts, read 10,728,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
He is not big on freedom of speech, he is not big on freedom of religion, he is not big on freedom of a baby to live, he is not big on the right to bear arms. The man is absolutely scary.
I'm sorry you have been scared by Obama, but let's break down your list and see if he's really the "freedom hater" in the room...

1. Freedom of Speech: Bush and (by association and voting record) McCain completely decimated our freedoms like this with the Patriot Act, and other similar legislation. No president in history has done more to erode freedom of speech than the current Bush administration, with the help of McCain who has voted with them 90% of the time and will continue down this path.

On the side of freedom: Obama

2. Freedom of Religion: Perhaps the worst religious persecution in this country in 100 years has been during this administration. Religious hate crimes increased dramatically. Profiling. Civil rights violated by the government for people with affiliation to Islam (and ignorantly even other religions, like Hindu). Again, McCain is more of the same.

3. Freedom of a Baby to Live: McCain voted AGAINST expanding guaranteed health insurance coverage for children. Obama voted FOR it. Babies live when they have health care, we can all agree on that. If you are wanting to go down the other road, you're argument is countered by the freedom of women to choose. So either way...

4. Freedom to bear arms: Although McCain has certainly voted for some gun control, I'll grant you that Obama is probably on the side of restricting access to certain firearms.

On the side of freedom: McCain

So, there you have it -- on 3 out of 4 issues, Obama = MORE FREEDOM.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:03 AM

2,383 posts, read 4,077,096 times
I'm not sure what I am going to do this election. To be honest, I don't really like either candidate. Not sure how we ended up with these two but seems like a huge mistake on both parties counts!

Old 10-06-2008, 02:45 AM

659 posts, read 1,365,745 times
I'm another that voted for both Gore and Kerry and am leaning for McCain. I probably would have even gone with Hillary over McCain for the personal respect, admiration, and moderate principles that I admire in her. I also prefer Hillary's health care plan to anybody's, while McCain's would never pass the Democratically controlled Congress and I also believe Obama's doesn't go far enough but will definitely pass in Congress. I'm also waffling though and still going back and forth in my mind. I do think Obama's tax plan would be better for the economy, though I trust McCain far more in foreign affairs.

If it were a straight up who should run the country vote, I'd probably go with Obama since I'm more liberal than conservative. But I'm also another person that questions if this country would be better off with McCain rather than Obama, since the Democrats control the House and Senate. The fact that the Republicans controlled the House and Senate in 2004 and 2000 was also a large reason why I voted for Kerry and Gore.

I don't really buy the argument that maybe the country needs Democrats to control both branches of government now, since the Republicans did for so long. Democrats can grow just as power hungry and go full-speed in the wrong direction on their own issues.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:09 AM

56 posts, read 64,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I don't believe you.

The only way for someone to support Gore, Kerry, Clinton - and then McCain over Obama, is to suspend all logic and common sense. This far-left extremist notion is not supported by any facts, only suspicion and internet-generated rumor and lies. If you are switching from Hillary to Obama, you do not care about any issues, or you do not care to vote for a black guy. It's that simple.

You are either lying, or...
Or what? Too afraid to "write it out loud?"

Old 10-06-2008, 06:03 AM

4,705 posts, read 4,871,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toosday View Post
Or what? Too afraid to "write it out loud?"
Anything on this board can be deemed a "personal attack" when you "write it out loud," with your account suspended as a result. Being "afraid" on an anonymous board is not an issue.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:12 AM

4,705 posts, read 4,871,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
In case you didn't learn this, there is nothing wrong with emotions. God gave us every emotion that we have.
He also gave us brains and logic. I think He wants you to use these gifts, too.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:17 AM

4,455 posts, read 2,475,709 times
Reading at Bloomberg this morning about Obama's 10 point lead now in both Ohio and PA- and larger lead in MN. It seems many people are now going to vote on the worsening economic crises worldwide and in the US. This probably trumps all the BS and unimportant babble being talked about as well as the personal attacks and smears (which this time around will count for far less in the electorate).

From a tactical perspective, the Republican parties 'witch hunt McCarthy like attacks' which have worked so well in the past-like 1988, 2004 and other years dating from the 1950s (before the Dems where 'soft' on the 'Reds', will not work this time. There is real fear now out there- and the crumbling economy is trumping terrorism. Also the GOP has become hijacked by social conervatives- with no real ideas on how to solve the nations myriad of issues.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:24 AM

2,807 posts, read 2,614,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
I'm another that voted for both Gore and Kerry and am leaning for McCain. I probably would have even gone with Hillary over McCain for the personal respect, admiration, and moderate principles that I admire in her. I also prefer Hillary's health care plan to anybody's, while McCain's would never pass the Democratically controlled Congress and I also believe Obama's doesn't go far enough but will definitely pass in Congress. I'm also waffling though and still going back and forth in my mind. I do think Obama's tax plan would be better for the economy, though I trust McCain far more in foreign affairs.

If it were a straight up who should run the country vote, I'd probably go with Obama since I'm more liberal than conservative. But I'm also another person that questions if this country would be better off with McCain rather than Obama, since the Democrats control the House and Senate. The fact that the Republicans controlled the House and Senate in 2004 and 2000 was also a large reason why I voted for Kerry and Gore.

I don't really buy the argument that maybe the country needs Democrats to control both branches of government now, since the Republicans did for so long. Democrats can grow just as power hungry and go full-speed in the wrong direction on their own issues.
historically nothing ever gets done that needs to get done when the exec is a different party than the legislative party
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections