Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 08:51 PM

351 posts, read 487,162 times

Advertisements

I attempted to watch the debate Thursday with an open mind. I even felt a bit of astonished pride when Gov. Palin exclaimed that:

Quote:
"When I and others in the legislature found out we had some millions of dollars in Sudan, we called for divestment through legislation of those dollars to make sure we weren't doing anything that would be seen as condoning the activities there in Darfur.
--Sarah Palin, Vice Presidential Debate, October 3, 2008.
Wow, I thought. Even though we don't agree on any political issues it is nice to see that Republicans and Democrats can agree that Darfur shouldn't be funded by American monies.

Then I read this and my stomach turned:

Quote:
In January 2008, a bill known as HB 287 was introduced into the Alaska House of Representatives restricting investments in companies that do business with Sudan. During a committee hearing in February, a Palin administration representative, deputy revenue commissioner Brian Andrews, testified against the legislation on the grounds that it would do nothing to help "the afflicted in Sudan," and would add to the fund's administrative costs.
While acknowledging that the legislation was "well-intended" and "the desire to make a difference is noble," Andrews warned that "mixing moral and political agendas at the expense of our citizens' financial security is not a good combination. A co-sponsor of the legislation, Anchorage Democrat Les Gara, said that Governor Palin apparently had a change of heart on the divestment issue in March. During a brief hallway conversation, she expressed sympathy for his bill. By that time, however, the bill had effectively died in committee. " (Palin twists the facts on Darfur - Fact Checker)

How completely pathetic to lie about something so important. Even though she apparently changed her mind about the bill she in no way was in the forefront of the effort and in fact is a reason why the bill eventually failed.

And to add insult to injury:

Quote:
"Sarah Palin is exaggerating her role in leading the Sudan divestment effort in Alaska. The legislative record shows that her administration was late in embracing the campaign to sell stock in companies that do business with Sudan, and initially opposed the divestment effort. The Alaska Permanent Fund still invests in companies blacklisted by the Save Darfur Coalition."
By her statements she was trying to infer that she was always against it and that Alaska was no longer benefiting from the genocide in the Sudan.

Apparently that was just another lie.

Shame on you Sarah Palin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 09:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I have nightmares about her and her church.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:13 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashrob123 View Post
I attempted to watch the debate Thursday with an open mind. I even felt a bit of astonished pride when Gov. Palin exclaimed that:

Wow, I thought. Even though we don't agree on any political issues it is nice to see that Republicans and Democrats can agree that Darfur shouldn't be funded by American monies.

Then I read this and my stomach turned:

How completely pathetic to lie about something so important. Even though she apparently changed her mind about the bill she in no way was in the forefront of the effort and in fact is a reason why the bill eventually failed.

And to add insult to injury:

By her statements she was trying to infer that she was always against it and that Alaska was no longer benefiting from the genocide in the Sudan.

Apparently that was just another lie.

Shame on you Sarah Palin
Thank you for the ENLIGHTENING post!!!

The heartless power crazed lying Saratodd.....such a complete Republican.....but ya know if you're cute and wink like a used car saleman, lying seems to be OK for repugs.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:15 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,308 times
Sad

Old 10-04-2008, 09:16 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Fear not, you are going to love her as your next VP. She flat whipped the windbags a$$ in the debate, left he and his party in tears...

Old 10-04-2008, 09:19 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,308 times
Quote:
Fear not, you are going to love her as your next VP. She flat whipped the windbags a$$ in the debate, left he and his party in tears...
You always make me chuckle with these posts. I don't know if it's on purpose but the hubris is entertaining.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:20 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
This type of total disregard for the truth and disrespect of the voter is what we could look forward to as the foundation of the McCain/Palin administration.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:23 PM

ABC: Palin lied last night about supporting divestiture from Sudan ...

Another whopper from SaraTodd.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:26 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
To be fair lying and exagerrations are hardly the provence of the republicans alone. And most certainly not in this election.

I agree with artsy guy in that her church does scare the crap out of me. Has anyone read the book "The Yiddish Policemans Union"? If you have, then you'll know what I mean when I say I question the reasonings behind palins commitment to Israel.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
To be fair lying and exagerrations are hardly the provence of the republicans alone. And most certainly not in this election.

I agree with artsy guy in that her church does scare the crap out of me. Has anyone read the book "The Yiddish Policemans Union"? If you have, then you'll know what I mean when I say I question the reasonings behind palins commitment to Israel.
Ya, Palin's five week commitment to Israel I'm impressed...such a long commitment to a country she can't even see from Alaska!
But, you're right...she's so devious and obviuosly nothing that comes out of her lipsticked mouth is the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections