U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2008, 09:32 AM

2,034 posts, read 2,702,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Obama has talked of almost nothing but regulation and budget-tightening. Be realistic.

This is where you are missing the point and it is very simple. The "regulation" is what caused the problem. The government regulated banks into making loans to minorities and low income people. They did it to help. Whenever the government tries to help, they screw us over. Also, Freddie & Fannie were established to guarantee loans to unqualified people. This made it possible to loan money to people that could not afford it. Again, regulation caused the problem. Now step back and think for a moment. If there were no regulations forcing banks to loan to people that can't afford it and if a loan is not guaranteed to a bank, the bank would not make the loan. If the bank knew they would be on the hook for the loan and not the government, they would not make the loan and we would not be paying the price now.

This is what the Libs just can't seem to understand.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 09:35 AM

507 posts, read 259,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Stop and think for a minute. Do you really want lying, cheating Democrats to win the election? The media does. They hide the truth and paint false pictures. Here is one example. Here are the Republicans in 2004 waving a warning flag that there is a problem with Freddie & Fannie. The issue is banks were being forced by the government to make loans to minorities and poor people in an effort to help them. But many could not afford the loans, but the Dems wanted to help them. The Republicans tried to deal with the issue and as you will see, the Dems would not. They claim there was no issue. Now that the world came crashing down, just like the Republicans said it would, the media and the Dems try to blame the Republicans. The media will not show this video, but I will. This is your Democrat Party in action. This is what they are made of. Is this what you want? Is there any question about the media bias? Why isn't the media looping this over and over?

YouTube - 2004 House Committee Hearing!

Shocking, isn't it. Please think twice before you vote. Please be aware that Obama's economic adviser is the jerk that walked away with tens of millions of dollars from this deal. Our money. The money that we have to pay back now.
GREAT POST! People seem to forget that Democrats have had the majority of the House AND Senate for two years and what have they accomplished...nothing except an even bigger mess.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:36 AM

8,241 posts, read 9,866,669 times
Quote:
Stop and think for a minute. Do you really want lying, cheating Democrats to win the election? The media does. They hide the truth and paint false pictures. Here is one example. Here are the Republicans in 2004 waving a warning flag that there is a problem with Freddie & Fannie. The issue is banks were being forced by the government to make loans to minorities and poor people in an effort to help them. But many could not afford the loans, but the Dems wanted to help them. The Republicans tried to deal with the issue and as you will see, the Dems would not. They claim there was no issue. Now that the world came crashing down, just like the Republicans said it would, the media and the Dems try to blame the Republicans. The media will not show this video, but I will. This is your Democrat Party in action. This is what they are made of. Is this what you want? Is there any question about the media bias? Why isn't the media looping this over and over?

YouTube - 2004 House Committee Hearing!

Shocking, isn't it. Please think twice before you vote. Please be aware that Obama's economic adviser is the jerk that walked away with tens of millions of dollars from this deal. Our money. The money that we have to pay back now.

McCain has documented, verified proof of dealing with and being close personal friends with one felon named Charles Keating. Heard of him? Keating Five - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-05-2008, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 4,649 times
Get a life and quit spreading lies! Obama is NOT a Muslim or a lover of terrorists. These are lies that are being put around by idiots, bigots, racists and other desperate McCain supporters. Obama may not be the real ideal candidate but if you want to see the real McCain, I suggest you go live in Arizona, his home state for about a week. You would see how very poor and badly funded education in Arizona is and the lack of roads that exis, etc. - all because McCain not only refuses to vote for Earmarks for his needy state, he is hardly ever in Congress to vote on any important issues. If a do-nothing is what you really want for President, go ahead and vote for NO SHOW McCain (as he is fondly known by his fellow Arizonans). I think charity begins at home!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The last 7+ years clearly state the Republican Party is the wrong party to vote for
OK, then please tell me what the Democrats have accomplished these past two years since they have had the majority of the House and Senate. PLEASE, someone tell me?????

Old 10-05-2008, 09:39 AM

2,034 posts, read 2,702,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelanne1938 View Post
Get a life and quit spreading lies! Obama is NOT a Muslim or a lover of terrorists. These are lies that are being put around by idiots, bigots, racists and other desperate McCain supporters. Obama may not be the real ideal candidate but if you want to see the real McCain, I suggest you go live in Arizona, his home state for about a week. You would see how very poor and badly funded education in Arizona is and the lack of roads that exis, etc. - all because McCain not only refuses to vote for Earmarks for his needy state, he is hardly ever in Congress to vote on any important issues. If a do-nothing is what you really want for President, go ahead and vote for NO SHOW McCain (as he is fondly known by his fellow Arizonans). I think charity begins at home!

I have no plans to vote for Mccain. I do not support his views or politics.

I was going to support Obama, but I no longer can. I can no longer make excuses for all his associations, lies, errors and change of ideas. At some point, it just gets to be too much. On top of that, this Democrat economic mess put me over the edge.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelanne1938 View Post
Perfect example of not knowing your own candidate. Do you realize how often Obama has voted "no vote" since he's been in office??? Over 236 times. So either he's been absent or he doesn't want to offend anyone.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:43 AM

8,241 posts, read 9,866,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Perfect example of not knowing your own candidate. Do you realize how often Obama has voted "no vote" since he's been in office??? Over 236 times. So either he's been absent or he doesn't want to offend anyone.
This should be of interest to you:

Missed Votes
John McCain has missed 420 votes (64.1%) during the current Congress.

John McCain | Congress votes database | washingtonpost.com

Old 10-05-2008, 09:52 AM

2,150 posts, read 1,466,838 times
Quote:
This is where you are missing the point and it is very simple. The "regulation" is what caused the problem. The government regulated banks into making loans to minorities and low income people. They did it to help. Whenever the government tries to help, they screw us over. Also, Freddie & Fannie were established to guarantee loans to unqualified people. This made it possible to loan money to people that could not afford it. Again, regulation caused the problem. Now step back and think for a moment. If there were no regulations forcing banks to loan to people that can't afford it and if a loan is not guaranteed to a bank, the bank would not make the loan. If the bank knew they would be on the hook for the loan and not the government, they would not make the loan and we would not be paying the price now.

This is what the Libs just can't seem to understand.
Maybe you should do some reading.

Fannie Mae was established in 1938 as part of the New Deal, Freddie Mac in 1970 - and they were formed to help S&Ls to provide low-interest mortgages. Fannie Mae was a government entity up until '68 - when LBJ had it go-private to take it out of the US budget. Both entities were given unreasonable exemptions - like the ability to receive credit lines from Treasury, to be exempt from Federal/State income tax, and most hideously, to be exempt from SEC regulation.

They were NOT formed to explicitly give mortgages to people who could not afford them.

Stop the political spin for a moment and think rationally.

I agree that the Community Reinvestment Act of Carter started the ball rolling on pressuring banks to make loans to high-risk customers in minority districts.. I agree with you there.

But I think that financial deregulation(especially repeal of parts of Glass-Steagal proposed by Sen Graham (R) and signed by Clinton), and Bush pressuring financial regulators to ease up on enforcement of existing regulation, was much more of a problem..

There's plenty of blame to be go around to both Republicans and Democrats.

Anyone who puts total blame on one party is just ignorant.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:55 AM

26,706 posts, read 7,852,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
You ignore one huge, gaping flaw in your logic.

Even if the Democrats were against reform, the Republicans had a significant majority in the House, the Senate, and they were in the White House. They could have pushed thru this reform if they really wanted to. I can only imagine that enough Republicans voted against it to kill it. Why don't you post how the voting went down on this issue - and please quote the House or Senate bill number - so we can double-check...

As a matter of fact, the Republicans had a huge opportunity to correct many of the things that were broken with Fannie/Freddie, weak financial controls & regulations, the sub-prime mess - if only they WANTED to change it - which it seems they did not.

HubbleRules
You don't understand the Senate super-majority rule, do you? The Republicans couldn't reform Fannie/Freddie, despite repeated attempts because there were enough Dems to keep blocking any attempts at reform through the Senate super-majority rule.

The Senate has a number of rules or precedents that require either a two-thirds or a three-fifths vote. The super-majority requirements include:
To Invoke Cloture. Under Senate Rule XXII, a three-fifths vote of all Senators (60 of 100) is required to invoke cloture (the closure of debate) on most questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections