U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:38 PM

4,270 posts, read 13,971,231 times

Advertisements

As much as I hate to admit it, I think I should resign to the possibility that Obama will be president. I'm not exactly 100% gung-ho on McCain/Palin so don't think that I'm an Obama-hater. I just don't care for his platform.

Anyway, my question is, for those who support Obama/Biden, what do you think of Michelle Obama? I think it's great that she's a strong woman, well-spoken, and has had a successful career but there's just something about her that I don't trust/like. And don't make this a race issue b'c it's not. I'm not a big fan of Cindy McCain either but it seems to me that she'd be more of a first lady whereas Michelle would act more like one of Obama's advisors. Not that there's anything wrong with that but I've enjoyed a more Laura Bush-type in the White House rather than a Hillary Clinton-type.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things, one shouldn't vote on the premesis of who makes a better first lady (duh) but I'm still interested in your viewpoints.

This is not a site to trash her or the democratic party. I'm genuinely curious of how democrats feel about her. Both sides are more than welcome to participate (like I can stop it!) but I don't want this to turn into another bash-fest please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 06:44 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,583,754 times
I think she is a great role model. Working class family, worked to get a good education, has been a working mom, self made success, involved mother, and apparently good solid marriage. I think she is a far better role model for the 90 percent of American girls who need to learn to take care of themselves, to make good choices, to provide a good moral example. (Cindy McCain has a much more checkered past even though she appears to be a good woman in many aspects also).

Old 10-05-2008, 06:46 PM

41,314 posts, read 39,596,005 times
Quote:
but there's just something about her that I don't trust/like
One should always try and listen to their gut instinct. Your's is spot on.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:46 PM

4,270 posts, read 13,971,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
(Cindy McCain has a much more checkered past even though she appears to be a good woman in many aspects also).
I think all of us have skeletons in our closets, Michelle Obama included. I do appreciate your honesty though - thanks!

Old 10-05-2008, 06:58 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,838,379 times
Foma I don't think that you are being racist but there's a bit of sexism creeping in.

Why wouldn't a bright, intelligent spouse act as a sounding board, she certainly wouldn't be the first in a long line of First Ladies who acted in such a capacity. If you go back as far as Dolly Madison you will find women who played more of a role in Presidency that the 50's stereotype house wife.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:02 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,349,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
One should always try and listen to their gut instinct. Your's is spot on.
Yeah, gut feelings, so outweigh actual facts such as stealing narcotics from the non-prof your working with for personal use having an affair with a married man....

Uh huh, go with your gut.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:06 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,543,632 times
Michelle is an exceptional person in every respect and this country is fortunate that such a magnificent woman will be in such a prominent role.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:08 PM

1,491 posts, read 2,028,115 times
I think Michelle Obama will make a great first lady!

1,353 posts, read 3,204,706 times
Very positive view of Michelle Obama.

Warm, funny, down-to-earth. Pulled herself from her bootstraps kinda gal.

1,958 posts, read 2,243,235 times
I think she's angry at obama for cheating on her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or