Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did Senator McCain drop the ball on his Campaign Promise?
Yes. He should have taken a stand against the Pork, this is what he Campaigns about. 14 87.50%
No. He did the right thing to help the Economy in spite of the Bill's Pork and Earmarks. 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 05:59 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times

Advertisements

“I understand why a lot of Americans were very cynical. A lot of Americans are still cynical because we’re not big government people. We want government involved the least in our lives."

McCain warned that the legislation is “like a tourniquet, not a cure. It will stop the bleeding, but then we have to set about fixing the way we do business in Washington."
Source

Wow. $110Billion and Senator McCain makes no statement on the Senate floor, votes yes, and supports $49 Million for Alaska as well.

Why didn't Senator McCain take this opportunity, if there was ever an opportunity to make a stand - This Was IT!!

Do you feel confident Senator McCain will reform Washington after voting Yes for $110Billion in Earmarks and Pork with no public Senate Objection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 06:01 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
He doesn't have to. He's a maverick. Isn't that this year's "free pass" for almost anything?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:03 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
“I understand why a lot of Americans were very cynical. A lot of Americans are still cynical because we’re not big government people. We want government involved the least in our lives."

McCain warned that the legislation is “like a tourniquet, not a cure. It will stop the bleeding, but then we have to set about fixing the way we do business in Washington."
Source

Wow. $110Billion and Senator McCain makes no statement on the Senate floor, votes yes, and supports $49 Million for Alaska as well.

Why didn't Senator McCain take this opportunity, if there was ever an opportunity to make a stand - This Was IT!!

Do you feel confident Senator McCain will reform Washington after voting Yes for $110Billion in Earmarks and Pork with no public Senate Objection?
McCain won't reform.
Obama voted for it too. Do you feel confident that he is 'change'?
Ofcourse you'll say yes, I'm aware of the double standard

Old 10-06-2008, 06:11 AM

Question 3 posts and you're "tuckering"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
McCain won't reform.
There's no double standard. This thread isn't about Senator Obama. Senator McCain campaign's ferociously against earmarks and pork barrel spending. Why didn't he make a public Senate statement and denounce this Bill? Wasn't this the perfect opportunity to stand up for what he has Campaigned about?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
He doesn't have to. He's a maverick. Isn't that this year's "free pass" for almost anything?

"McCain took credit for driving House Republicans back into the process a week ago after the initial collapse of the bill, a point agreed to by his home state colleague Rep. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.)"

"The reason the bill is better is because of McCain," he said.
Source

Wow!!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:21 AM

690 posts, read 1,015,487 times
McCain says the first bill the runs across his desk with pork will be vetoed. "I will get their names and I will make them famous!" he says during his stump speaches.

He choose Palin who the first thing she did was hire a lobbiest to get money for her state and is the queen of pork. (Well, he did make her famous! LOL!)

Then he voted for this bail out bill?

Pluhhh-ease!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:22 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
McCain won't reform.
Obama didnt have the delusional temerity to announce he had to dash down to Washington to fix the economy, and thus might not be able to make the debate. Obama didnt play politics with this thing, McCain did - or tried to, but it blew up in his face.

The WH meeting with Bush was entirely a plan by one buffoon to help another buffoon look credible. Like the gentleman he is, Obama went along with that and didnt say anything about it, thus proving something McCain may have forgotten: that http://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...y-looking.html*

Obama had called McCain that morning to suggest the two of them create a statement on the bailout - point being to show the American people that in times of crisis there should be no partisanship. McCain didnt return Obama's call, but did call Bush and ask what to do. Bush came up with the meeting idea. Only then - hours later - after George W. Bush, of all people, had told him what to do - did America's Maverick deign to return Obama's call.

Call that "presidential"? I guess if you like craven weasels.

All that said, they had to vote for the bailout. McCain's inability to "lead" the Republican Senators to go with it the first time - and the fact that the second version was an improvement over the first, anyway - proved he's about as useful and relevant as the bump on a log he portrayed so effectively in the WH Bush meeting.

But yes, McCain should have grabbed the mike afterward and established himself as the Explainer of the bailout story. Obama wouldnt have done that, it's not his style, but for a chatty fellow like McCain it was a natural. Great opportunity, thrown away.

* thread by Blue Willow Plate

Last edited by delusianne; 10-06-2008 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: * credit to thread author, "McCain should have" para

Old 10-06-2008, 06:48 AM

This a wacky form of leadership...I just don't get it.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
McCain says the first bill the runs across his desk with pork will be vetoed. "I will get their names and I will make them famous!" he says during his stump speaches.

He choose Palin who the first thing she did was hire a lobbiest to get money for her state and is the queen of pork. (Well, he did make her famous! LOL!)

Then he voted for this bail out bill?

Pluhhh-ease!
I wonder if he missed the opportunity to really show why he "suspended" his campaign.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:59 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Because he, like all politicians, is full of s**t and will say anything, nominate anyone and do anything to be President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections