Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:32 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Do you realize your saying the exact same thing?

Why would they need to artificially increase caribou? Was the population down?

I'm linking articles from biologist your repeating yourself. Help me out because all the experts disagree and they have a proven track record off the highest wolf population in the US.
No, the population of caribou was not down. They want it artificially increased - for hunting season. Caribou are not on the endangered species list.

You linked an op-ed piece from a biologist stating that wolf control works when it is needed - these hunts, again, are not being done for the purpose of wolf control, so his opinions do not apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Where I live, wolves attack and kill domestic animals. That's probably a problem in Alaska too.

What does Obama adopting a dog have to do with his half brother? He is concerned about the welfare of a DOG (a dog he hasn't even ever met) who would have to spend its days in a shelter or be euthanized, but he doesn't seem to be concerned about a HUMAN, who is his BROTHER. He will help the dog but not the human. What is wrong with this picture?
Have you met his brother? Have you met him? do you know their family dynamic? I guess not. So you shouldn't comment on his family. I happen to have one sibling the rest of us hate and do not speak to. that our family dynamic. It doesn't make us better or worse than any other family with sibling issues. And every time you bring this up oftentimes people mention that John cheated on his wife with Cindy while his wife had cancer. What do both arguments prove about the humanity of both candidates? Enough said. And I've been looking for articles on wolf attacks in Shawnee Mission, only coyotes -- which are common in many parts of the US, though they generally attack pets.

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
Help all the animals by shooting them?

In no way am I against hunting - the problem I have is when girlie men start talking about big bad wolves and how they want to eat us. Wild animals don't stand a chance against people. The odds of being killed by a wild animal are ridiculously small.

It makes me think of Stephen Colbert's campaign against bears.
The odds of dying of starvation are not so low. I suppose out in the middle of no where grocery stores are abundant. Many people live off their kills. Even more so in wilderness areas like people would like to remind you of when you say she's the governor of the largest state in the union.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:34 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
But you are not a well known celebrity. Celebrities (both conservatives and liberals) endorse causes all the time.. and they should! Good on them! Nothing uppity about it.. if it can raise money or help a good cause, I am all for it, irregardless of party affiliation.
Ummm....hello, Obama isn't a "celebrity". He is a politician (a corrupt politician) trying to win votes.

Your words sum up a much great problem with this election than in the past. Due to reality TV, "celebrity" and "politician" have become interchangeable. A dangerous trend.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I'm with you there....I have more respect for those hunters who actually eat what they kill. But lets face it, hunting is not a fair sport. Duck calls and blinds, deer stands, salt licks, night scopes......
It's not at all a fair sport. It's even more unfair, IMO, to be shooting from helicopters so you can cover more ground and kill more wolves in a shorter period of time. They're not even eating the meat in these cases. At least something is coming from the death of the animal if you're eating the meat.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:37 PM

"Notice this is wolf control, not wolf hunting"

http://wildlife.alaska.gov/regulatio...or_control.pdf

Old 10-06-2008, 02:37 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
wonderful post. So positive too, unlike all the negative bs and smear from the other side, I dont know how Repubs can live with all the lies they create, it is really physically sickening to most of us.

When a person begins telling fibs and lies, it's difficult at first. The more you tell, the easier it gets.

Now, McCain and Palin have sold their souls, and they sleep quite well at night.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:39 PM

Wildlife Research Reports, Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Division of Wildife Conservation

Old 10-06-2008, 02:40 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Ummm....hello, Obama isn't a "celebrity". He is a politician (a corrupt politician) trying to win votes.

Your words sum up a much great problem with this election than in the past. Due to reality TV, "celebrity" and "politician" have become interchangeable. A dangerous trend.
I meant he has celebrity status as he is well known! Duh! Helloo............
the definition of celebrity includes a "well known person" and its not limited to Hollywood stars or athletes
I was going by the dictionary definition, so based on that definition, yes Obama is a celebrity.
If you are unhappy with this definition, bring it up with the folks that produce dictionaries.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
"Notice this is wolf control, not wolf hunting"

http://wildlife.alaska.gov/regulatio...or_control.pdf
Yes - but the purpose of the "wolf control" is not to reduce the wolf population because they are wandering into towns, etc - it is to reduce the population to ensure there is a higher population of caribou.

172 Scientists Protest Alaska's Aerial Wolf Hunting

http://www.alaskawolfkill.com/Palin_Letter.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections