Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you more interested in the Candidates discussing the Issues or issuing Attacks?
Issues 19 67.86%
Attacks 8 28.57%
The Attacks are the Issues 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:28 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

Daily tracking polls are not showing that the smear attack Saturday is working. We have enough rolling average to establish that.
The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows Barack Obama attracting 52% of the vote while John McCain earns 44%. This is the second straight day that Obama has led by eight percentage points, his largest lead of the year. For the past twelve days, Obama’s support has ranged from 50% to 52% while McCain has been at 44% of 45% every day.

Thus plan B for tonight which is more presidential and more on the issues if he can hold his temper. There was discussion today on the air that there is probably considerable debate in Republican circles on what to do tonight and how to project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 08:31 AM

532 posts, read 908,698 times
I think they will be civil. But if McCain attacks Obama, he will attack back. He won't just take it. We learned our lesson with John Kerry- you can't take the high road. Americans aren't capable of subtlety anymore. They only remember sound bites.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:39 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
im more interested in the real issues but i suspect mccain will take as many pot shots as possible
Not an attack, but I must ask, don't you know the issures by now and where they stand. We all know the canidates by now. Its been 18 months of 24/7 news about them. This is just to see who can get the other one off guard, nothing else. Nothing is going to change anybodys mind at this point. How in the world could anybody still, after all this time, be on the fence. This is just Debate-O-tainment tonight. Who can bring the most sting, the left or the right wing.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:51 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I don't know how much McCain's really going to be able to attack, considering the town-hall format. Unless he pulls a Palin and just does whatever he wants to do.
Anyone else remember the Gore vs. Bush debate in 2000, townhall format? When Gore walked right over to Bush and looked like he was going to pounce on him? McCain will try the same aggressive posture, except he's 5'7" and Obama is what 6'1 or 6'2?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:56 AM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,055 times
it really depends on the moderator

Old 10-07-2008, 09:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
it really depends on the moderator
Tom Brokaw is the moderator, but in this town hall format, I'm not sure how much control he really has.
That "attacks are the issues" is funny but true, and it would be interesting to see if that subject comes up.
Both candidates pledged to stay above all that stuff, and both have reneged.
I hope tonight stays civil, even if both guys are seething inside.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:21 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
McCain: civil

Obama: mad and attack first

Old 10-07-2008, 09:37 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'm interested in the issues, not pointing fingers, on BOTH sides. This is a townhall meeting type of debate, if they're both smart, they'll keep it civil. The people in the audience w/this type of debate don't want to see mudslinging, they want answers.
I totally agree, people are extremely stressed this week about an assortment of issues. They want answers. I don't think the audience will react well if someone asks a question and instead of answering the question, a candidate uses it as an excuse to start mudslinging on another topic.

People are fed up, they're just not in the mood for it today, especially since the Dow is dropping again.

The time for an attack debate would have been this summer. The economy was a little more secure, so people would have been more likely to get a kick out of watching the candidates tear into each other like dobermans. But now I think the American mood has changed, and that approach will backfire.

With the recent news, people are really stressed. When you're at the breaking point, you want detailed answers, not doberman attacks. I also think the undecided voters are going to be more impressed by the candidate who acts calm, confident, and able to deal with crises.

Just my two cents.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:34 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Are the Candidates more likely to have a Civil Debate or an Attack Debate?

Which are you more interested in - The Attacks or the Issues.

Please Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults.
I certainly hope it'll be a lot more interesting and heated than the Biden/Palin tea party where Biden had to tip-toe around the delicate spineless, scared, helpless Palin or look like a big mean sexist bully.....

Old 10-07-2008, 10:44 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Daily tracking polls are not showing that the smear attack Saturday is working.
One thing I will say about McCain--he's smart enough to pay attention to polls. I'll bet he's adjusting his strategy today as the poll numbers are coming in, showing the smears aren't really working.

That's also why I think he has Sarah out being the initial attack dog on the Ayers issue. If she bombs with the undecided voters, he can distance himself from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections