Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 01:00 PM

485 posts, read 1,839,585 times

Advertisements

Remember the last time a Presidential Candidate was honest with the voters and said he would have to raise your taxes? It was Walter Mondale who recognized how high the federal budget deficit had become under Ronald Reagan. His honesty did not do much for him because he lost big time.

Maybe this time may be different. An honest candidate would say he has to raise taxes next year because the budget deficit has really got out of control and it is affecting our economy big time. He would also say he has to cut spending big time because we can not afford it anymore.

If a Presidential candidate leveled with us and said he would raise taxes and greatly decrease federal spending, and it would hurt bad, would he get your vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 01:10 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,061,990 times
Most definitely, as long as they also showed that they would use some of those new tax revenues to spur economic growth.

See Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:12 PM

365 posts, read 692,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
Remember the last time a Presidential Candidate was honest with the voters and said he would have to raise your taxes? It was Walter Mondale who recognized how high the federal budget deficit had become under Ronald Reagan. His honesty did not do much for him because he lost big time.

Maybe this time may be different. An honest candidate would say he has to raise taxes next year because the budget deficit has really got out of control and it is affecting our economy big time. He would also say he has to cut spending big time because we can not afford it anymore.

If a Presidential candidate leveled with us and said he would raise taxes and greatly decrease federal spending, and it would hurt bad, would he get your vote?
Oh hell no! The gov gets enough of my taxes as it is.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
If they were going to cut spending, absolutely.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:13 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
Most definitely, as long as they also showed that they would use some of those new tax revenues to spur economic growth.

See Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.
See Obama? he claims that 95% of americans are going to get tax decreases, not increases.. try to stay on topic, topic is tax increase, not an imaginary decrease..

Old 10-07-2008, 01:16 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
I would ... an honest candidate would be awesome.

I am sick and tired of every candidate trying to win the election by telling the people what they want to hear. And although I am an avid Obama suppoter, I'll admit that is exactly what both him and McCain are doing right now. I just happen to think that once the political circus is over, that Obama will do a better job in the White House.

But to answer your question, I would probably vote for any candidate if they would just come out and be truthful ... and say that they cannot fix everything, and might have to raise taxes.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:18 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Yes. Someone needs to pay for Bushie running wild with the credit card. And I'd rather it be me than my kids having to twice as much. I'll give my $600 summer check back right now if the government would use it to decrease the deficit.

And if he decreased federal spending by ending the operations in Iraq, all the better. If Bush had put the money spent on Iraq into solar+wind energy, we wouldn't even need to give a damn about the Middle East anymore.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:09 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,418 times
Yes, I would pay more taxes. Raising taxes to payoff debt and cover expenditures is more honest than running up huge deficits and devaluing our currency.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:11 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Ron Paul said this and I still may yet write him in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections