Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:17 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Never trust anyone over 90.
Can't rep ya but LOL

I've enjoyed following this discussion and listening to the memories some of you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 06:18 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I think that if the younger "kids" even had half an idea of the things we did they would be shocked out of their mind. I'm in my 60s and I was so surprised to listen to a woman in her 80s talk about being a nurse in WWII and about all the things that she and her fellow nurses use to get up to. They were so brave and bold and funny and we look at them now in their 80s and think of them as prim and proper old ladies. The same is true when the young look at my generation. They are looking at the Woodstock generation and thinking of us as old foggys. Ahhh. If they only knew what we are remembering when they see that twinkle in our eyes.
So funny, and so true. I've changed a lot over the years but sometimes I think I haven't changed at all. I was lucky enough to start a business that turned out to be very successful. So I ended up going the Chamber of Commerce member/suburban cheerleader route. There are a lot of us who did that! Guess what, you can make a lot of money and hold onto your ideals. I still grow a lot of my own food, recycle, go kayaking, do volunteer work and a lot of reading. I still go to church, which (believe it or not) was a habit I developed during my young-n-crazy days. It's true that the more you change the more you remain the same.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:25 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I agree and disagree.

I agree that seniors in general do not care for smear campaigns. Those appeal mostly to the younger people who enjoy the aggression. So the more a candidate smears, the more he's likely to lose the senior vote.

I agree that seniors who were young in the 1960s will be more attracted to Obama, for the reasons you noted.

But... seniors who are 75+ may have a negative response to Ayers. If they were parents of hippies, they may not have fond memories of the era.

Seniors are also favoring Obama because of the recent economic issues and because McCain wants to drastically change and possibly eliminate Medicare.

I grew up in the 60S and there is no way in He-- that I would ever vote for Osame, of I mean Obama. I believe if you associate with terroists, you are one also.

Diane G- certainly not in my 70s

Old 10-07-2008, 06:27 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I grew up in the 60S and there is no way in He-- that I would ever vote for Osame, of I mean Obama. I believe if you associate with terroists, you are one also.

Hmm...Interesting Standard.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:39 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:

Are you so sure that everyone you associate with now will never turn out to be a terrorist? Or that they never had a time in their past when they did something you might have disapproved of? Are you so sure you know everything about the people you associate with now? They might not be as "pure" as you think.

Actually, I'm surprised you're participating in this forum. After all, what do you really know about the people you associate with here?

If you really believe that just by associating with people you become "one of them" it must be terrifying for you to be in public places. What happens when you get on a plane and the person next to you starts up a conversation? After associating with her for 5 hours do you become "one of" whatever she may be?

I mean, really?????? You have so little free will that you can't associate with another person without becoming one of them? Gee, I'm sorry to hear that.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:50 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Maybe the reason for the uptick in Obama is all the slamming of Bill Ayers who was for many a face on the anti Vietnam movement. Many of us today with age are now moderates or conservative seniors who like Ayers have become mainstream.
Interesting. Today for the first time in a long, long time I started to listen to "Ohio" by CSY (that's Crosby, Stills, and Young for you youngsters)...

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are cutting us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are cutting us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

It's been a long time, but I remember Kent State, Jackson State, the King assassination, Bobby's assassination, the March on the Pentagon, the Chicago Police Riot, and three friends whose names are on a wall in Washington. COINTELPRO that made the Patriot Act look like the Bill of Rights.

Palin nor Obama understand those times, but a lot of us still do.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:56 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Maybe the reason for the uptick in Obama is all the slamming of Bill Ayers who was for many a face on the anti Vietnam movement. Many of us today with age are now moderates or conservative seniors who like Ayers have become mainstream. Perhaps when you insult him and praise the Young Americans For Freedom side you are alienating millions of seniors who remember with considerable pride their days when we stood for something and need to do it again.
BBC ON THIS DAY | 15 | 1969: Millions march in US Vietnam Moratorium
The Peace Moratorium is believed to have been the largest demonstration in US history with an estimated two million people involved.

Thats a lot of voters to now be ticking off who were on the fence until this weekend. I know a few that are.
I do believe this nation is in danger of committing itself to goals and personalities that guarantee the war's continuance.

Senator Edward Kennedy

As John McCain called him the Lion.

You expected them to condone bombings?

You think they agree with gang warfare?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:58 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:

Yes we know not all were with us but many were which was so evident on October 15, 1969. A beautiful crisp day.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:00 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You expected them to condone bombings?

You think they agree with gang warfare?
They have a perspective that is being rekindled.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:00 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
When my youngest started college at UW Madison the Union was showing some films of the anti war protest going on there back in the day. She was kind of surprised to see a face she knew so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections