Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:48 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeader View Post
Yea, his only firm position (albeit one that has no political risk at the time) was to oppose Iraq after the fact.... Now he's saying he would do the same???
To be fair, he did oppose Iraq before the fact, he gave a speech on it.. We can all see the outcome of giving a good speech, we invaded and ignored him!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 08:48 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
currently as it stands you dont pay taxes for the first 3 years anyway. the making work pay thing is a joke. why do you people comment on things you dont even understand. since you understand so much, please explain to us all, how a $500 tax credit effects and change the payroll tax.
I certainly don't. I'm hoping some small business owners can explain to me what parts of Obama's plans will help or hurt them, seeing as I don't run a business. I'm not even saying he's got the better plan in terms of small business, I think it's possible that he does, but I'm looking for a bit of an explaination myself.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
on your first point, our problem with Iraq was invading, if we use Obama's direct diplomacy, it costs us nothing and could avoid war and resources.
I think the UN tried that first..

Old 10-08-2008, 08:50 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Um, you need to calm the hell down & tone it down. Sorry for calling you sweetie, it's a habit of mine. However, you insulting me will only get you reported posts. As you noticed from my initial post, I did not mention corporations. You specifically talked about the $250K, which I then told you he was talkiing about small-businesses. Why you're so angry I don't know.
What is a small business? Could you give some examples? Would that be a hometown restaurant that has a few locations, one location, many? I am interested to hear what it is you define as small business? As I said, I have known owners and worked for a few in my youth who made 250k easily. One business owner had a waffle shop in our town, it was packed nearly every day. She said they pulled in roughly about 270-300k a year.

I was a sales manager for a small town computer company many years ago. We did normal walk in service as well as city and state contracts. Just in one contract we did, I pulled in 65k in sales. That is one contract. Our overall yearly income was roughly around 320k.

I later worked for another 1 shop computer company that did similar business. The owner pulled in roughly 450k on good years and about 230 during poor to average ones. So if small town isn't a restaurant, a single shop computer business, a home town mechanics shop, a local self employed contractor or the like, then please tell me, what is this small business you speak of?

Old 10-08-2008, 08:53 AM

14 posts, read 13,942 times
Well, I work in contracts, and we Sub contract 80-90% of our work to Small businesses. And the majority of the Small business concerns are one man shops that make under 250K per year.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
on your second point, he said he would cut taxes, and said that only a small amount of SMALL businesses make more than 250k. He would raise taxes on large corporations CEOs, and cut unnessessary spending from the budget to afford the programs we do need. As a result, the average voter would pay significantly less in taxes, and Obama would raise the national debt less than McCain.
Incorrect, most small businesses GROSS more then $250,000 a month, but do net less then that. Obama has made it clear that he is speaking of GROSS income, meaning that most small businesses would see their taxes go up.

You think raising taxes on corporations are ok though? Yeah, it wont affect individuals who have their money in the companies 401K and stock plans, or cause inflation to go up as corporations have to raise prices to offset higher taxes..

Old 10-08-2008, 08:55 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think the UN tried that first..
and what came of it? we found out that Iraq didn't have WMD's and the issue dropped for the time being. Instead, we as a nation entered the country anyway, found out what the UN had found out peacefully, and lost 4,000 american lives fighting for something not related to our public safety. Meanwhile we ignored our responsibility in Afghanistan. Had we followed the UN's lead and dropped the Iraq issue temporarily to focus on Afghanistan, the war would be over, and we could fight the Iraqi leadership if need be without the threat of Al Quieda terrorism. I would have preferred this course of action.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareef2679 View Post
Well, I work in contracts, and we Sub contract 80-90% of our work to Small businesses. And the majority of the Small business concerns are one man shops that make under 250K per year.
Majority of small businesses are one man shops? Where are you getting this information from because small businesses employ more people then corporations do. Employing others is a tough task if your a "one man shop"...

Old 10-08-2008, 08:58 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
What is a small business? Could you give some examples? Would that be a hometown restaurant that has a few locations, one location, many? I am interested to hear what it is you define as small business? As I said, I have known owners and worked for a few in my youth who made 250k easily. One business owner had a waffle shop in our town, it was packed nearly every day. She said they pulled in roughly about 270-300k a year.

I was a sales manager for a small town computer company many years ago. We did normal walk in service as well as city and state contracts. Just in one contract we did, I pulled in 65k in sales. That is one contract. Our overall yearly income was roughly around 320k.

I later worked for another 1 shop computer company that did similar business. The owner pulled in roughly 450k on good years and about 230 during poor to average ones. So if small town isn't a restaurant, a single shop computer business, a home town mechanics shop, a local self employed contractor or the like, then please tell me, what is this small business you speak of?
The small businesses I speak of are the small businesses that my best friend own, my sister owns & a few businesses in a great area of Milwaukee. I don't know the exact numbers that they bring in, but I assure you, it's not $250K a year. THOSE are the small businesses I'm talking about, you know your basic ma & pa stores? The ones you see on every street corner in every town? THOSE are the ones I'm talking about.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:58 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
First off, diplomacy involves knowing when to pull the trigger. McCain pushes Obama to admit the surge was a success, but McCain won't admit the Iraq War was a failure to exercise restraint on his part and the part of the current administration. If Obama had his way, we'd have fought the battle in Afghanistan and we wouldn't be so distracted by Iraq.
You didn't answer my question, you spoke of diplomacy, I pointed out the extensive amount of diplomacy we went through, the long time line we dealt with this in a diplomatic way. Do you not remember the resolutions we had? Do you not remember all of the issues we had with this? To say we just went in without exercising restraint is a pure denial of the facts.

Your response is more an evasive to go off into another topic of the subject. Please deal with my questions first, then we can discuss your change in focus.

Quote:
Secondly, McCain referred to the rich as those who make $5,000,000.00 a year or more. Is it just me, or does he not quite understand where that line between rich and poor is? To be honest, I haven't seen a definition of small business from either side, so I can't help you there, but I'm confident that with the best investor in the world backing Obama, he's probably got the right idea in terms of business.
Answering a question with a question is an evasive response. I was not talking about Mccain, I was asking you specifically concerning the policy Obama has. You seem to be willing to defend him and claim to have read up on his policies, so I think it reasonable for you to explain to me what he means by small business? I don't care about Mccain's policy, I am not here defending it, you are here defending Obama's, so please provide me with some relevant information. If you can not, then don't you think it a bit odd that you are defending the postive outcomes of a policy that you truly can't even explain important key factors on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections