Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:20 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,685,050 times

Advertisements

It is his given name and the sheriff or anyone else has the RIGHT to use it.

We need to stop this crap people.

It is ok for him and his freak friends to use it but not ok for others.

To damn bad.

I will start using it myself for now on.

BARRACK HUSSEIN OBAMA

Last time I checked his fake birth certificate that is what it said.

No big deal. Toss the idiot NAACP moron who did this in jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 09:22 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Anybody that thinks the Obama supporters are for freedom of speech should go back and read these posts again. Since when is anything wrong with calling a person his name. There will be no freedom of anything if this man gets in office. People wake up. Freedom is a thing of the past.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:24 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,043,406 times
This has nothing to do with the fact that he used Obama's middle name - it is that he was promoting a political agenda while in uniform. For anyone that has ever been in uniform, you would know that is not allowed.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:25 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,209 times
Has anyone here ever spent time in Lee county Florida? I have and I know EXACTLY what that sheriff meant. The NAACP is right in filing a complaint IMO.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:28 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
It is his given name and the sheriff or anyone else has the RIGHT to use it.

We need to stop this crap people.

It is ok for him and his freak friends to use it but not ok for others.

To damn bad.

I will start using it myself for now on.

BARRACK HUSSEIN OBAMA

Last time I checked his fake birth certificate that is what it said.

No big deal. Toss the idiot NAACP moron who did this in jail.
Strange, Senator McCain's campaign doesn't agree with you. Off message or miss today's talking points?

Old 10-08-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Anybody that thinks the Obama supporters are for freedom of speech should go back and read these posts again. Since when is anything wrong with calling a person his name. There will be no freedom of anything if this man gets in office. People wake up. Freedom is a thing of the past.
Interesting question. Apparently Governor Palin and Senator McCain don't condone the Sheriff's behavior.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:32 PM

Default Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
And that is a crime....to call someone by their name??? I don't get it? If Barrack is ashamed of his name, why doesn't he just change it?
Who said the Senator is ashamed of his name?

"Scott’s comments immediately became the talk of the cable news networks. A McCain spokesman, Tucker Bounds, condemned the comments on MSNBC."

"Palin’s spokeswoman Tracey Schmidt quickly sent out a press release, while the rally was still going on, distancing the Palin camp from the comment."

“We do not condone this inappropriate rhetoric, which distracts from the real questions of judgment, character, and experience that voters will base their decisions on this November.”
Source (http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081006/NEWS0107/81006002&s=d&page=3#pluckcomments - broken link)

Old 10-08-2008, 09:34 PM

Default Seems to have caused quite a litle stir...

A federal investigation is being opened into the actions and comments of Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott at a rally for Gov. Sarah Palin in Estero on Monday.

Erica S. Hamrick, senior attorney at the U.S. Office of Special Counsel, wrote in an e-mail to a third party that her office will be investigating under the Hatch Act, which governs political activities of certain elected officials.

The complainant stated the sheriff violated that act because the sheriff’s office receives federal money, engaged in political activity while on duty, engaged in political activity while in uniform, wore political buttons while on duty and used political influence or authority to interfere with an election.

The U.S. Office of Special Counsel addresses the Hatch Act as it pertains to local officials on their Web site, which states the following:

“The Hatch Act applies to executive branch state and local employees who are principally employed in connection with programs financed in whole or in part by loans or grants made by the United States or a federal agency. Employees who work for educational or research institutions which are supported in whole or in part by a State or political subdivision of the State are not covered by the provisions of the Hatch Act.

“Employees of private nonprofit organizations are covered by the Hatch Act only if the statute through which the organization receives its federal funds contains language which states that the organization shall be considered to be a state or local agency for purposes of the Hatch Act, e.g., Headstart and Community Service Block Grant statutes.

“An employee’s conduct is also subject to the laws of the state and the regulations of the employing agency. Additionally, employees should be aware that the prohibitions of the Hatch Act are not affected by state or local laws.”
Source

Old 10-08-2008, 09:34 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Anybody that thinks the Obama supporters are for freedom of speech should go back and read these posts again.
Can you please tell me why?

Seems that all Obama supporters in this thread have unanimously agreed that the guy, or anyone else, can say whatever he wants. If you are getting paid with taxpayer funds and you decide to do it in uniform then your will have to answer to the higher ups.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:52 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,209 times
I have no problem with the man expressing his opinion out of uniform. However once he puts that on his politics need to stay to himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections