Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:16 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,613,440 times

Advertisements

In my town the only time the college students determined the outcome on an issue at the polls was to remove the ban on drinking in the streets. Years later after the drinking age had raised to 21, the ban got restored by popular vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 11:20 AM

167 posts, read 473,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
that's a nice crystal ball you have there.
watch & see how this turns out

jesse helms rot in hell

Old 10-09-2008, 11:23 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,106,673 times
I think that the people who won't vote this time will be mostly those republicans who just can not bring themselves to vote for a democrat but still can't make themselves hold their nose tight enough to vote for McCain.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 AM

167 posts, read 473,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I think that the people who won't vote this time will be mostly those republicans who just can not bring themselves to vote for a democrat but still can't make themselves hold their nose tight enough to vote for McCain.

that's the worst logic ever- kind of like saying, "I didn't get into law school, so I'm going to resort to a life of crime"

someone call the waaaammbulance

Old 10-09-2008, 11:26 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,016,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post
that's the worst logic ever- kind of like saying, "I didn't get into law school, so I'm going to resort to a life of crime"

Many posters here have said that very same thing. That they are Republicans who may sit it out.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:27 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,106,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post

You may think so but I based it upon people I know who have told me that they have always voted republican but can NOT bring themselves to vote for John McCain. When asked if they were voting for Obama they said they would never vote for a democrat. They said they guessed they just wouldn't vote or would write in somebody.

I've actually heard this several times now so I doubt it is an isolated fluke.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:32 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,550,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Many posters here have said that very same thing. That they are Republicans who may sit it out.
I'm sure many Hillary supporters will sit it out as well.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:46 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,476,655 times
Actually, I don't think the youth vote matters all that much. For one thing, they're more into facebook than CNN, most are registered back home away from college, and between classes, dates and parties, civics just falls off the radar.

I'm 27, recent college grad, but I voted in every single election. I made time to get to the booth and vote. But that wasn't true of my classmates. I saw a lot of activism but no action on my campus in '04, and this year will be no different. But with the Obama groundswell, it won't hurt him so much.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:57 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,304,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Actually, I don't think the youth vote matters all that much. For one thing, they're more into facebook than CNN, most are registered back home away from college, and between classes, dates and parties, civics just falls off the radar.

I'm 27, recent college grad, but I voted in every single election. I made time to get to the booth and vote. But that wasn't true of my classmates. I saw a lot of activism but no action on my campus in '04, and this year will be no different. But with the Obama groundswell, it won't hurt him so much.
I think in states like Michigan, and more particularly Pennsylvania, with the second largest number of colleges (many are a high percentage of in-staters) it might tip things.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post
Sorry, but most young people on average are much more informed about national and global issues than the average voter is. The political race is constantly interjected in several college courses. Additionally, younger people are much more tech savvy which helps them keep in touch with the issues much better than the average middle aged voter. Hell, just watch an episode of the Daily Show (a show geared solely to the 18-30 demographic) and you'll learn more about the issues than watching Dancing with the Stars.
As the parent of two twentysomethings, I disagree. One of my kids is a self-professed "news junkie", watches and reads news a lot. The other one at age 21 has just started reading the news online. When she was away at college, she didn't even read the school newspaper! It's the nature of the beast. That kid was de-regisitered for not voting, even though, yes, we have mail-in ballots here in Colorado, which I sent to her at college.

That self-same daughter told me Obama intends to win Colorado with the youth vote. I said "Good luck". She has her ballot and will hopefully fill it out, and if she doesn't get around to mailing it she can take it to a drop-off place on election night.

However, those who don't apply by Oct. 28 to get a mail-in will have to go to the polls. This will involve: knowing where to go, which even though it is in the local papers and available online, might be enough to keep some away; getting there when the polls are open (7 AM to 7 PM in this state), which could be difficult for some of the college students who sleep late, and then have late classes/labs; people who work 12 hr shifts, etc); and WAITING TIME.

The Colorado ballot is long this year, something like 16 state ballot issues, varying numbers of local issues, plus local and national elections. It is predicted there will be a lot of waiting at the polls. I reluctantly applied for a mail-in ballot b/c I was concerned that after working perhaps till 6 PM (I work in a dr's office and we have no official quit time), I would have to drive to my polling place and wait in line to vote. It could try a lot of people's patience to wait to vote. Young people tend to be more impatient about these things than older ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections