Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,003,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Teatime--even prominent conservatives like Kathleen Parker and George Will are already conceding defeat.
They need to LET US VOTE. The only time that "conceding defeat" is relevant is for one of the two candidates on election night. I'm sick of the media, talking heads, and party fanatics trying to dictate. They care more about getting attention and being relevant in the political arena than they do the American people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 08:17 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,003,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Read a basic book in Statistics and you will find why this small sample population is meaningful. Suggestion:
Amazon.com: Statistics for Dummies: Deborah Rumsey: Books
Well, gee, maybe we should just let this "small, meaningful sample" choose the president, then, and do away with all of this voting "rubbish." After all, the "statistics" will ALWAYS reflect the true will of the people, won't they?

7,730 posts, read 14,151,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
They need to LET US VOTE. The only time that "conceding defeat" is relevant is for one of the two candidates on election night. I'm sick of the media, talking heads, and party fanatics trying to dictate. They care more about getting attention and being relevant in the political arena than they do the American people.
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/5940/roflbotkhjl5021047mj8.jpg (broken link)

8,299 posts, read 8,602,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Finally, over 270 votes with room to spare. These are not "toss up States", but States heavily leaning towards Obama.

RealClearPolitics - Electoral Map
*knocking on wood*

Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,583,001 times
Just wondering when's the last time the government actually voted for something the public really wanted.

Quote:
Finally, over 270 votes with room to spare. These are not "toss up States", but States heavily leaning towards Obama.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:21 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times
Quote:

Please! The election is not yet over! Let's be optimistic, but not get carried away and boastful. Treat every day as if we're just 2 points behind b/c it WILL tighten up.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:21 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
Boooo!

This isn't over until those poll numbers are converted into votes. Overconfidence is our enemy!

But the polls are cool aren't they. :-)
Complacency is definitely a bigger enemy now than McCain. Everyone, particularly the young, must be continually reminded and pushed to make sure they vote. Like Yogi Berra said, 'it ain't over till it's over." Lets make this an election day we'll remember for our lifetimes.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:25 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Well, gee, maybe we should just let this "small, meaningful sample" choose the president, then, and do away with all of this voting "rubbish." After all, the "statistics" will ALWAYS reflect the true will of the people, won't they?
Did anyone say voting is rubbish? Look at your previous post - you were looking down upon polls of a few thousand and that is why I suggested "statistics" would show you what a meaningful sample is.
On your statement on "true will" - again , you are arguing about something that was not in dispute. No one said polls are a replacement of elections, but they ARE a good indication of what people think - even though they only a few thousand are polled.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:29 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,971,603 times
Oh come now. Is anyone of us seriously not going to vote? I drove 16 miles yesterday to find my sister's voter registration card at her house just so I could keep it safe and secure for when I drive her myself to the polling station. That way I'm in control of the whole process...LOL

Old 10-09-2008, 08:49 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,459,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Teatime--even prominent conservatives like Kathleen Parker and George Will are already conceding defeat.
They underestimate the deep seated racism within the democrat party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections