U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:06 AM

28,818 posts, read 9,493,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
In neighborhoods where parents care, the educational system works well. In neighborhoods where parents don't give a damn, the educational system doesn't work. This truth has no socio-economic or racial boundaries.
Sometimes. There are affluent suburbs here in the Chicago area, where parents claim to care and there is a lot of community involvement in and support of the schools, and the community touts their school district as 'one of the best in the state,' but 1/3 of their students don't meet the very minimal state standards test passing score. 92% of their graduates plan on attending college after high school graduation, but only 30% of their graduates meet college readiness benchmarks (which are pretty low - close to the national average scores on the ACT).
http://www.act.org/research/policyma...benchmarks.pdf

Caring parents aren't enough to make schools good. Poor administration and mismanagement, and ineffective pedagogical ideology can't be fixed by caring parents - especially when the administrators and teachers are the parents' neighbors and friends.

Weak curriculum that is not focused on academic rigor, and lack of horizontal and vertical articulation are two of the biggest problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 08:08 AM

3,641 posts, read 3,054,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centaurmyst View Post
I have one more young child in school...all my other children are grown. The problems in schools are more complicated than just the parents. Bush's No Child Left Behind is an unfunded mandate. Teachers and schools are forced to focus more on passing those tests so their schools get funding then they can focus on teaching. I am always very involved as a parent and I have found that frequently the teachers and schools think they know more about your child than you do. Quite frequently they simply don't listen to parents. I think that plays a big part in parents being less involved than they used to be. I did experience this kind of thing first hand with my son who has Oppositional Defiant Disorder. I certainly did all I could to help and support the school but it can be very hard to do when they don't listen or think they know your child better than you do.

It has to be a two way street.
I do agree but there is also the problem of the public schools teaching the propaganda that they teach, such as about gays and such as that. It is sickening that the schools these days teach what they want the children to believe in their later life. Of course they don't listen to the parents. I mean, after all, who do you think you are? LOLOLOL That is the way they think. Once your child is in school then it is all the scholl deciding what will be taught, even though it might be against your moral views. That means that they don't have the time to actually teach what the children need to make it in the world, only what they think the child's moral values should be, and don't forget the relifious factor in all of this.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:21 AM

808 posts, read 713,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I do agree but there is also the problem of the public schools teaching the propaganda that they teach, such as about gays and such as that. It is sickening that the schools these days teach what they want the children to believe in their later life. Of course they don't listen to the parents. I mean, after all, who do you think you are? LOLOLOL That is the way they think. Once your child is in school then it is all the scholl deciding what will be taught, even though it might be against your moral views. That means that they don't have the time to actually teach what the children need to make it in the world, only what they think the child's moral values should be, and don't forget the relifious factor in all of this.
I have 4 kids ages 22, 20, 18 and 8. None of them have ever been taught about being gay, lmao. Heck, my older kids even were in Vermont schools after Civil Unions. They learned about homosexuality because they saw all the "Take Back Vermont" fighting and I had to explain what was going on to them at a younger age than I really wanted to. I used to send them to Sunday School until my daughter came back one day sobbing because the minister scared her with a hate rant towards homosexuals and she didn't even understand what he was saying. I stopped sending them, obviously.

The only time a school will really talk a lot about homosexuality is if there is a gay student in the school who is being harassed or abused. Then they kinda have to try to instill some tolerance and understanding for the protection of the homosexual child.

In my experience it's more likely your child will be exposed to things you would rather talk with them about yourself from church and television than from school. Of course, kids will hear things from other kids as well, and you can't really avoid that fully.

Bottom line, no matter what your kids hear or are told as long as you talk to them, ask questions and make them feel comfortable coming to you about things they don't understand you will always be the most important teacher in their life. A child is more influenced by their parents than any teacher, preacher or tv personality.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 AM

13,062 posts, read 6,354,683 times
Lightbulb How important is Education?

The only sensible answer is "it depends."

Humanity has an amazing range of intellects. At one end of the scale are the rare geniuses who devote their lives to advancing the human condition. For them education is of paramount importance. And their innate curiosity drives to learn continually, in and out of school. Absorbing information is a pleasure, even a compulsion for them. The opposite end of the scale is the mouth breathers. Education is of no consequence to them. Curiosity is a foreign concept. Every thing they know they knew by the time they reached their teens. They'll go so far as to express unbridled hostility towards learning. Their ignorance is their most prized posession and they'll defend it with every fiber of their being.

Most of us are somewhere in the middle. We can absorb a certain amount of info, but we looked forward to that 3:30 bell in our school days.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:55 AM

17,396 posts, read 24,728,398 times
Q: How important is education?

A: Part I. Look at those "nations" which haven't any. Illiterate, sickly people living hand to mouth in countries that are little more than an open sewer. Such "nations" are usually run by ruthless corrupt types who rule by violence.

A: Part II. Look at the nations of the first world, the nations with high living standards. The hallmarks of such nations are: education, science, healthcare, rule of law, free elections, civilian rule of the military, diplomacy, etc.

---------

IMO, education is the ONE key essential to a civilized planet. When you point out the great universities on a map, you'll be pointing to the best nations the planet has to offer.

Look at the basket-case nation-states, do you see any great universities in Zimbabwe or Congo or Somalia or Cambodia, et al? Anyone sending their kids to THOSE places?

I've checked the platforms of both candidates. McCain's website parrots the conservative GOP agenda of vouchers and little else, or as he says in debates: "choice and competition." Obama's website has a full suite of items to address the educational requirements of a first world super power, and he's put the teacher's unions on notice that they too have to change.

Obama's years on the ground in the Chicago area gave him a strong grounding in what the situation is out there in the communities and forms the basis for the planks in his platform on education.

Second place after education is healthcare, but that's not on-topic here.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:54 PM
miu

13,062 posts, read 22,513,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Obama's years on the ground in the Chicago area gave him a strong grounding in what the situation is out there in the communities and forms the basis for the planks in his platform on education.
And the quality of the Chicago public school system is.... ? Poor. And Obama hasn't do anything to improve them. Let him fix Chicago first before trying to tackle our country's problems.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:26 PM

39 posts, read 29,363 times
Thanks for all the great responses!

I am so interested in what people think about the education issue because I am studying to become a teacher, and I think the education system could definitely be improved. Another reason is I am taking a politics class this semester and I am doing my final project on education and wanted to get some data on if people take education into consideration when voting for the next President of the United States.

Thanks again for all the responses!

I will respond to individual posts when I have a little bit more time.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:37 PM

3,641 posts, read 3,054,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centaurmyst View Post
I have 4 kids ages 22, 20, 18 and 8. None of them have ever been taught about being gay, lmao. Heck, my older kids even were in Vermont schools after Civil Unions. They learned about homosexuality because they saw all the "Take Back Vermont" fighting and I had to explain what was going on to them at a younger age than I really wanted to. I used to send them to Sunday School until my daughter came back one day sobbing because the minister scared her with a hate rant towards homosexuals and she didn't even understand what he was saying. I stopped sending them, obviously.

The only time a school will really talk a lot about homosexuality is if there is a gay student in the school who is being harassed or abused. Then they kinda have to try to instill some tolerance and understanding for the protection of the homosexual child.

In my experience it's more likely your child will be exposed to things you would rather talk with them about yourself from church and television than from school. Of course, kids will hear things from other kids as well, and you can't really avoid that fully.

Bottom line, no matter what your kids hear or are told as long as you talk to them, ask questions and make them feel comfortable coming to you about things they don't understand you will always be the most important teacher in their life. A child is more influenced by their parents than any teacher, preacher or tv personality.
Did I say anything about any gay agenda? No, I did not. You brought that up. When I am talking about propaganda, I am talking about the ultra liberal left values and political ways. The problem is that there are also some ulta-right wing teachers that do it also, only teaching their ulta-right wing propaganda. Schools are no longer teaching what needs to be taught and are spending too much time teaching to the test and trying to make sure the child has self-esteem. Ridiculous and totally wrong.

Once we get moved, to a more conservative area after the election, then I will put my kids back in a public school and will see how it goes. If they spend too much time teaching pure and utter BS then we will take them out again and homeschool once again.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:11 PM

808 posts, read 713,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Did I say anything about any gay agenda? No, I did not. You brought that up. When I am talking about propaganda, I am talking about the ultra liberal left values and political ways. The problem is that there are also some ulta-right wing teachers that do it also, only teaching their ulta-right wing propaganda. Schools are no longer teaching what needs to be taught and are spending too much time teaching to the test and trying to make sure the child has self-esteem. Ridiculous and totally wrong.

Once we get moved, to a more conservative area after the election, then I will put my kids back in a public school and will see how it goes. If they spend too much time teaching pure and utter BS then we will take them out again and homeschool once again.
lol, I was replying to what you wrote and it did sound like you were afraid schools were teaching about homosexuality. That's why I replied as I did.

As a very involved parent who pays attention I can honestly tell you that there was never a time when I felt the curriculum in any public school my kids were in was inappropriate. My kids mainly went to school in Vermont and Maine. Vermont is considered by many to be some liberal mecca, but that's really not true. Vermont is a very interesting mix of some very conservative ideas along with some fairly liberal ideas. It's pretty much a "live and let live" mentality.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:30 AM

39 posts, read 29,363 times
What are some parent reactions to the No Child Left Behind Act?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections