Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:51 PM

38 posts, read 46,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Did I say anything about any gay agenda? No, I did not. You brought that up. When I am talking about propaganda, I am talking about the ultra liberal left values and political ways. The problem is that there are also some ulta-right wing teachers that do it also, only teaching their ulta-right wing propaganda. Schools are no longer teaching what needs to be taught and are spending too much time teaching to the test and trying to make sure the child has self-esteem. Ridiculous and totally wrong.

Once we get moved, to a more conservative area after the election, then I will put my kids back in a public school and will see how it goes. If they spend too much time teaching pure and utter BS then we will take them out again and homeschool once again.
I agree that teachers have to teach to the test and I think that is a huge problem in our schools. Teachers are spending a lot of time teaching to the test and ignoring/cutting back on other important subjects, such as science and history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 07:56 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,290,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfan4life View Post
I have not heard a lot about the education issues/policies that either candidate is proposing. Obama did mention it as third on his list Tuesday during the debate, but that is about all I have heard on education. I know there are other important issues that both candidates are trying to address, but isn't the education of our children important as well? How important are the issues and policies of education of each candidate in your selection of the next President of the United States?
Education is very important. It's critical. "No child left behind" has been a collosal failure. This was Bush's approach with McCain's blessing. Under Bush, innovative solutions to education are non-existent. If McCain had a better plan, he's had 26 years in the Senate to push it. You, he's the "maverick." So I guess that means he's clueless when it comes to this issue. Deer in the headlights. Asking him about the military and he gets a bulge in his pants.

I look forward to Obama's plans once he becomes privy to the magnitude of the problem from a president's perspective. Specifics are not important right now. Frankly I don't know why people expect presidential candidates to come up with specific plans. They are not privy to the level of information and resources that the president has. All we can do is look at their values, their tendencies, and if they have spent decades in positions to cause changes, what have they supported, and what plans have they originated. McCain fails miserably here.

I expect Obama to specifically address a problem that no previous president has ever had a clue about: how to make high academic achievement paramount in the black community. McCain has not a clue on this.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:02 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,908,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfan4life View Post
I agree that teachers have to teach to the test and I think that is a huge problem in our schools. Teachers are spending a lot of time teaching to the test and ignoring/cutting back on other important subjects, such as science and history.
NO, teachers should NOT be teaching to any damn test!!! That is one of the things that is wrong with education in this country.

Yes, many schools are just ignoring the history, real history and not the revisionisy history being taught, science.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
NO, teachers should NOT be teaching to any damn test!!! That is one of the things that is wrong with education in this country.

Yes, many schools are just ignoring the history, real history and not the revisionisy history being taught, science.
I agree. I think my last post was misleading. I think teachers are being made to teach to the test, but should not be teaching to the test. I think teaching to the test is very harmful to the students.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:55 PM

Regardless of who you voted for on November 4th, did their stance on education and what they plan to do once in office factor into your vote?

If education was a factor for you, please explain. (I am trying to gather information for a class project). Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections