Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 03:43 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,493 times

Advertisements

So, her old man was "tough and trained at the USNA. That's why he never suffered from it". So the infantrymen, medics, drivers, etc that suffer from it are what? [MOD CUT/language]

Why do you and your husband hate our troops so much?

golfgod

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-10-2008 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: crude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 04:18 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,176 times
Oh, Good Lord. PTSD has nothing to do with your training or lack of it.

Cindy, babe, your husband has it. There's no way he doesn't. Not with his background and his famous temper.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:29 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,061,874 times
MC: You met your husband after his POW days. To what extent is that still with you — or is it a part of history?
CM: My husband will be the first one to tell you that that’s in the past. Certainly it’s a part of who he is, but he doesn’t dwell on it. It’s not part of a daily experience that we experience or anything like that. But it has shaped him. It has made him the leader that he is.

MC: But no cold sweats in the middle of the night?
CM: Oh, no, no, no, no, no. My husband, he’d be the first one to tell you that he was trained to do what he was doing. The guys who had the trouble were the 18-year-olds who were drafted. He was trained, he went to the Naval Academy, he was a trained United States naval officer, and so he knew what he was doing.

Yep, SERE school sure was different for "draftees" and ocifers(sic)! Of course all that midshipmen hazing gets you right in shape for POW camp, shees, what an idjit.

Print Cindy McCain Rolls Up Her Sleeves

Nothing like reenforcing stereotypes about blonds.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:37 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
If this is truly her position, no doubt influenced by her husband, then in my mind it explains a lot about her husband's attitude toward today's military.
And these people don't consider themselves elite?

Keith Olbermann focused on this last night. It is worth watching all the way through.

Blue Herald » Video: Keith Olbermann Talks to Jon Soltz about Cindy McCain’s Dissing Veterans With PTSD

Old 10-10-2008, 04:38 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,107,710 times
NOW do you understand why vets and active duty alike are flocking to Obama?

Old 10-10-2008, 04:43 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,186 times
Wow, I knew they were out of touch but this really takes the cake. Our Vets deserve better than this!

Old 10-10-2008, 04:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Not all combat vets suffer from PTSD. I don't. I did my share of combat and was wounded several times.Either I am unique, lucky or just not prone to mental illness. I do believe much like ADD it is a flavor of the month and is subject to over diagnosis. As a parent of an autistic child I get tired of parents who blame poor behaviors on ADD or autism.
PTSD is real and it happens. I personally just don't believe its as wide spread as some would have us believe.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:51 PM

260 posts, read 573,199 times
The Code of Conduct that governed POWs was incredibly rigid; few soldiers lived up to its dictate that they "give no information . . . which might be harmful to my comrades." Under the code, POWs are bound to give only their name, rank, date of birth and service number — and to make no "statements disloyal to my country." Soon after McCain hit the ground in Hanoi, the code went out the window. "I'll give you military information if you will take me to the hospital," he later admitted pleading with his captors. McCain now insists the offer was a bluff, designed to fool the enemy into giving him medical treatment. In fact, his wounds were attended to only after the North Vietnamese discovered that his father was a Navy admiral. What has never been disclosed is the manner in which they found out: McCain told them. According to Dramesi, one of the few POWs who remained silent under years of torture, McCain tried to justify his behavior while they were still prisoners. "I had to tell them," he insisted to Dramesi, "or I would have died in bed."

Old 10-10-2008, 08:27 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,493 times
tinman wrote;
Quote:
Not all combat vets suffer from PTSD. I don't. I did my share of combat and was wounded several times.Either I am unique, lucky or just not prone to mental illness. I do believe much like ADD it is a flavor of the month and is subject to over diagnosis. As a parent of an autistic child I get tired of parents who blame poor behaviors on ADD or autism.
PTSD is real and it happens. I personally just don't believe its as wide spread as some would have us believe.
I honor your service and wounds. While it may be overdiagnosed, let's remember that the people doing the diagnosing are trained doctors, who in some cases are being chastised and overuled on their diagnoses.

I think it's a lot different from "combat fatigue" in WWII, which was recognized, and was known to be "treatable" with a few days rest from front line stress, hot food and showers, despite what the movie "Patton" showed.

While most combat troops (a very small minority of all troops) in Viet-Nam were definitely subject to the daily stress that can bring on PTSD, in Iraq, EVERYONE is subject to those stresses. Why else would we be fast approaching, if we haven't already passed our 100 FEMALE combat death.

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections