U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:50 PM

12,646 posts, read 13,612,225 times

Advertisements

"Campaign spokespersons did not respond to requests for elaboration. But one official with direct knowledge, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, expressed concern with McCain's approach. The Arizona Senator has instructed his team to not spend time on the transition effort, according to the source"

Virtually every modern non-incumbent presidential candidate has organized, during the course of the campaign, a transition effort to prepare for the early months of a potential administration. These teams help build lists and vet individuals who could serve in key government posts. They hammer out proposals to facilitate policy making from day one. And they work closely with outgoing administration officials to better understand the true lay of the political land.

Governance scholars consider the process invaluable, particularly as the nation struggles with a major economic crisis, two active wars, and a range of domestic security threats. "Our enemies understand how potentially vulnerable we are in the transition from one administration to the next," Clay Johnson III, former Executive Director of the Bush-Cheney Presidential Transition, said recently at a forum on transition planning. "This is something we need to be very, very seriously prepared for."
Source

Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 05:51 PM

"It is irresponsible not to have a well organized, thoughtful vigorous transition, right now," said Mickey Kantor, a Clinton administration official who was there for the 1992 transition and who has consulted with the Obama campaign about its efforts. "I am surprised that John McCain would take that position. This government is very complicated. And I don't care how many years you have spent on it you don't truly understand it until you get to the middle of it."
Source

Perhaps the Senator will move quickly similar to his prior vetting process.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:55 PM

29,462 posts, read 33,694,226 times
Remember how critical they were when Obama put a transition team together a couple of months ago? Who does McCain the Maverick have did is really part of his team to run a government with? His campaign is being run now by Bush people if he brings them in then he really is the son of Bush? Being a Maverick does not lend itself to governance.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:56 PM

13,180 posts, read 12,688,351 times
I think it's just that he knows he's going to lose. Might as well have all hands on deck to lessen the degree to which he'll get beat.

Also, what Bush tool would you "transition" with? Perino? Cheney? Rice?.....They're clueless idiots.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:56 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,338,692 times
Irresponsible to say the least.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:57 PM

4,945 posts, read 7,092,886 times
Sounds odd. Unless he's just going to use the same characters that are in W's cabinet.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:58 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,445,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I think it's just that he knows he's going to lose. Might as well have all hands on deck to lessen the degree to which he'll get beat.
Either that, or he's planning to keep all of Bush's people in place. Personally, I hope he understands that at this point, only Diebold could give him a win.

I don't believe the Republicans tried very hard this go round. It's like they wanted to lose.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Either that, or he's planning to keep all of Bush's people in place. Personally, I hope he understands that at this point, only Diebold could give him a win.

I don't believe the Republicans tried very hard this go round. It's like they wanted to lose.
I certainly hope he's better prepared than the VP selection..

Oh good grief, how many time's is J. Gordon gonna hit the wall?!!!!

I think they were trying to win, or at least want to, Senator McCain came from a field they really didn't like and some of the choices didn't really get a fair shake or pull themselves to the fore and stand out.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:14 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,250,526 times
Maybe he's facing reality?

Old 10-12-2008, 05:42 AM

34,990 posts, read 33,855,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
Irresponsible to say the least.
Agree.
Guess the Republican Party isn't as concerned for the health, safety and future of America as previously indicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or