Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:08 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times

Advertisements

you started it
no you started it
no you started it
no you started it

Memories of grade school...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 09:09 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
camping, I'm not black or from Chicago so I cant say, and I know it's a delicate issue, but I think one would need to read or hear his sermons to get a true understanding of his message, and try to see it in a context different than that of a pastor in a typical white suburban environment.

Also, you know Obama, ironically or not, doesnt share "the" "black" "American" experience. Ive posted here and there about that and this article sort of adds to that - that in a way, as an outsider, Obama was studying.
Obama writes in his autobiography that on the day he chose this church, he felt the spirit of black memory and history moving through Wright, and "felt for the first time how that spirit carried within it, nascent, incomplete, the possibility of moving beyond our narrow dreams."

Campaign '08: The Radical Roots of Barack Obama : Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/13390609/campaign_08_the_radical_roots_of_barack_obama/3 - broken link)
But I dont know so dont anybody jump on me! Just tryna help!

True that Hagee wasnt McCain's pastor, but McCain accepted his endorsement until he called the Catholic Church the ***** of Babylon. Only then did McCain cut him loose - when Hagee was losing him the Catholic vote.

Unlike McCain with Hagee, Obama did not solicit Farrakhan''s support and had denounced F's statements repeatedly.
Thank you for actually explaining your viewpoint to me.....I honestly appreciate that. And I can see where you are coming from.
I can certainly understand obamas desire to find his 'roots' and wanting a sense of history with other people who 'look' like him. Especially once he had children. I also believe that obama began going to wrights church as a political strategy, unfortunatly he stayed overlong.....so no, I don't believe that obama is a black supremecist.

My question really involves the lengths that obama supporters will go to minimize what is a legitimate concern for some people. Instead of explaining it, they insult or deflect. If a party cannot admit that their candidate has flaws, then that concerns me --- the possibility of a cult of personality developing would have serious longterm ramifications for this country. (and I believe that, whether it was a rep or a dem) But then, I am paranoid like that

Old 10-12-2008, 11:44 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The Obama fans are so shocked of what is happening at McCain's rally's and the outburst of McCain/Palin fans.

It all started with Rev. Wright and his remarks, than Father Pfleger, before even other friends of Obama like Farakhan, William Ayers, all people associated with Obaam who hate this country and anybody who is thinking different than they do....so why do they blame McCain/Palin?

I guess it is easier to blame others and sitting in a church on Sunday and listen to hate towards others than to step away from it!
You have twisted views.
One, did you even listen to the whole speech that Wright gave that day? Or did you just watch the part that Hannity foams at the mouth over?
He's really a racist, Goddamn that Reverend Wright!

What color was Lyndon Johnson?

Wright joined the United States Navy and entered the Corpsman School at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center.[12][7] Wright was then trained as a cardiopulmonary technician at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland. Wright was assigned as part of the medical team charged with care of President Lyndon B. Johnson (see photo of Wright caring for Johnson after his 1966 surgery). Before leaving the position in 1967, the White House Physician, Vice Admiral Burkley, personally wrote Wright a letter of thanks on behalf of the United States President.[13][14][15]

In 1967 Wright enrolled at Howard University in Washington, D.C., where he earned a bachelor's degree in 1968 and a master’s degree in English in 1969. He also earned a master's degree from the University of Chicago Divinity School.[7] Wright holds a Doctor of Ministry degree (1990) from the United Theological Seminary in Dayton, Ohio, where he studied under Samuel DeWitt Proctor, a mentor to Martin Luther King, Jr.[16]

From his wiki page.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:33 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:
The Obama fans are so shocked of what is happening at McCain's rally's and the outburst of McCain/Palin fans.

It all started with Rev. Wright and his remarks, than Father Pfleger, before even other friends of Obama like Farakhan, William Ayers, all people associated with Obaam who hate this country and anybody who is thinking different than they do....so why do they blame McCain/Palin?

I guess it is easier to blame others and sitting in a church on Sunday and listen to hate towards others than to step away from it!

Oh no
Obama never heard all that hate bull crap, remember??
he missed it all, just like he did not "know" who Ayers is
or that it was okay to buy land under cover when a state senator from the slumbs lord's wife, or get a special price from a slumb lord, or to defend ACORN, or hold up Farrakhan as a hero
or any of his other bull crap, but his supporters are with him till the end.
They think he is pretty swell.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:01 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,691 times
Quote:
It all started with Rev. Wright and his remarks,
:rolley es:

You've got to be kidding!

http://instruct.westvalley.edu/kelly.../lynching3.jpg

Old 10-13-2008, 06:09 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Obamas a great orator, of that there can be no doubt. But he didn't answer, why would you sit in a church for twenty years and not be disgusted enough to leave? If mccains pastor and identified mentor for twenty years blamed 'black folks' repeatedly from the pulpit for everything that is wrong in this world you would be screaming for blood --- and you know it.
This and this alone is what has me at odds with obama supporters, their refusal to discuss legitimate concerns without trying to deflect from the issue (well, mccain did/said or bush did/said) or start waving the racist card about.
But hey, prove me wrong.....tell me that if rev wright had been a white preacher and close friend for twenty years to mccain and regularily blamed 'black folks' from everything to aids to poverty to 9/11 would you or would you not be angry? Or would you be as nonplussed as you are now?
Oh, and hagee was not mccains pastor --- he was some nutjob that said he will vote for mccain ...... kinda like farrakhan doing the same for obama.
From Nixon on, and especially from Reagan on, the code-makers and image-makers of the Republican Party have done just that. Please get a concept of history..........it's not hard to do............

Old 10-13-2008, 07:59 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
From Nixon on, and especially from Reagan on, the code-makers and image-makers of the Republican Party have done just that. Please get a concept of history..........it's not hard to do............
What? Code - makers and image - makers? What the hell are you talking about? Because it certainly does not pertain to my question.
If you are saying that the gop has been blaming 'black folks' for every conceivable ill since nixon then you are the one that needs to crack open a history book or two, not just try to grasp the concept of it (getting a concept of history..is that like 'new math' per chance?)
Nowhere except in bigoted, racist churches would you hear a white pastor say exactly what wright has said. And bigoted, racist churches does not the gop make. Mccain (though I dislike him) certainly had the brains not to attend such a church. As did W, Bush I, Reagan, Clinton, even Jimmy Carter. But Obama....no, he can't figure out that blaming 'white folks' might be offensive -- nevermind completely incorrect.
My grasp of history is fine thank you. How is your grasp on reality?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:08 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
You can keep trying all you want to, but there is no way most conservatives are going to vote for B.O. What do you think about the liberals who can't vote for Hillary choosing to vote for John instead of Obama? Hmmm, that says something, doesn't it? Maybe you all are worried about the big ship sinking, hence trying to convince the weak to vote for "the change man." Don't worry about us and remember, it isn't over yet.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 AM

177 posts, read 261,373 times
Quote:

I heard Rev. Wright's sermons. I did not equate his speeches to be racist as so much as to say that people need to rise up against those who are racist towards them.
Is a person guilty through association? If that were to be the case, than lets just start our Presidential elections all over, and get people who are running that don't know anyone or never met anyone.

Palin was guilty for not putting her foot down when there were people in the crowd saying "Kill Obama". That crossed the line and she ought to have put her foot down and stop it.

We all know some of the people that McCain knows and assiociates with don't we? Sure we do. Phil Gramm, who is the person who wrote the bill for deregulation. Phil Gramm is a crook.
The United States has a National Holiday, Martin Luther King Holiday. If you heard Martin Luther King talk, and Obama was attending several of his rallies, you would be saying the same thing about Martin Luther King and Obama's association with him.

If you are trying to convince Obama supporters that he is guilty through association, than it won't hold water. The facts are, that Obama is for change and McCain is not. There is a possibility that the whole world economy might come to a end, and McCain who admits he doesn't know nothing about economics, would not be qualified to help our world.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:55 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
What? Code - makers and image - makers? What the hell are you talking about? Because it certainly does not pertain to my question.
If you are saying that the gop has been blaming 'black folks' for every conceivable ill since nixon then you are the one that needs to crack open a history book or two, not just try to grasp the concept of it (getting a concept of history..is that like 'new math' per chance?)
Nowhere except in bigoted, racist churches would you hear a white pastor say exactly what wright has said. And bigoted, racist churches does not the gop make. Mccain (though I dislike him) certainly had the brains not to attend such a church. As did W, Bush I, Reagan, Clinton, even Jimmy Carter. But Obama....no, he can't figure out that blaming 'white folks' might be offensive -- nevermind completely incorrect.
My grasp of history is fine thank you. How is your grasp on reality?

Wake up. Wright grew up in Jim Crow America, where black people were terrorized, disenfranchised and lynched like they were nothing. Look for some context. Look at how black men are demonized in this society, especially by conservatives. That includes the Republicans, who fan the flames of racial hatred so they can get the sheeple to vote for them, while they allow corporations to rob us all blind. Wake up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections