Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:50 PM

284 posts, read 696,020 times

Advertisements

I kinda of have a clue but just want to know how some people feel about this issue. As a minority i hate this and think it should go away cause it is reverse discrimination. Take the concept and turn it around a job, acceptance to collage (or any other issue it covers) goes to a white male. That sound pretty racist to me no joke so why does Affirmative action exist. And what are the views of the candidates on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 08:57 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
McCain is opposed and Obama supports according to my research.

I was denied admission to law school despite my grades and LSAT scores. After one semester, I was called back as an alternate, because some of the AA admits were flunkies. The admission representative told me flat out that I was discriminated against but his hands were tied.
I had already committed to another program, and could not accept. I often thought of returning, but never found the time. It was a defining moment for me. Discrimination is wrong. Discrimination to "fix a wrong" is even more wrong in my book.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:05 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,684,369 times
Thank god McCain is opposed to it.

It puts far less talented people in important jobs and hurts companies overall.

I have been there and saw it happen before my eyes and it does not work and never will.

It forces companies to put in place people who have no business doing important skilled jobs within a company and therefore creates chaos for the company when they consistently have to fire and let go of the employee who did not deserve and can not do the job in the first place.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:06 PM

284 posts, read 696,020 times
See how can some one go to school knowing that they took a spot from a more qualified person.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Only if he is the same way on illegal immigration.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:15 PM

196 posts, read 444,542 times
Obama is against race based affirmative action. I'm as non-partisan as you can get to be honest, so don't give me crap because you think I'm a liberal since I am simply posting a fact. I've researched both candidates quite thoroughly so that I may make an informed vote for this election, that is my disclaimer. Seeya

Old 10-12-2008, 09:18 PM

196 posts, read 444,542 times
Oh yeah and BTW, yes most of what AA is defined as, is wrong.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:25 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvpunk View Post
Obama is against race based affirmative action. I'm as non-partisan as you can get to be honest, so don't give me crap because you think I'm a liberal since I am simply posting a fact. I've researched both candidates quite thoroughly so that I may make an informed vote for this election, that is my disclaimer. Seeya
He vocally opposed an opponent in this article:

Obama̢۪s Affirmative Action Test | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com

And supported it in April of this year stating:

Acknowledging that "race is still a factor in society," Obama nonetheless suggested that his own daughters, who've had "a pretty good deal," might not be deserving of special treatment.
But he added: "I still believe in affirmative action as a means of overcoming both historic and potentially current discrimination, but I think that it can't be a quota system and it can't be something that is simply applied without looking at the whole person, whether that person is black, or white, or Hispanic, male or female. What we want to do is make sure that people who've been locked out of opportunity are going to be able to walk through those doors of opportunity in the future."

Here is the link:

On affirmative action, Obama intriguing but vague - The Boston Globe

So it kinda seems like he supports it, don't you think?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:36 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,279,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post

Obama’s Affirmative Action Test | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com

Acknowledging that "race is still a factor in society," Obama nonetheless suggested that his own daughters, who've had "a pretty good deal," might not be deserving of special treatment.
But he added: "I still believe in affirmative action as a means of overcoming both historic and potentially current discrimination, but I think that it can't be a quota system and it can't be something that is simply applied without looking at the whole person, whether that person is black, or white, or Hispanic, male or female. What we want to do is make sure that people who've been locked out of opportunity are going to be able to walk through those doors of opportunity in the future."

Here is the link:

in a sense... Maybe he doesn't prefer it in it's current form? Personally, I think there are places it is vital, and places that it is vital that it be removed, so I feel like I've got my hands tied on this issue.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:36 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post

Obama’s Affirmative Action Test | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com

Here is the link:

Still doesn't sound like he supports race based AA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections