Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 06:34 AM

224 posts, read 378,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centaurmyst View Post
I can probably find a few sources to link to for you. I've been reading a lot of reports about this whole debacle. What I'm saying is true about it being some of the canvassers who are responsible for committing the fraud.

It's perfectly understandable to be angry over this. All I'm saying is that you should direct that anger where the blame belongs. Be mad at Acorn for not being more careful in avoiding something like this from happening, but be fair about who really is guilty of fraud. I'll try to find some sources for you to read.
Once you provide a source to back up what can only be construed as your opinion, I'll consider it.

Until then you just continue to make excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 06:35 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,438 times
Quote:
The canvassers are expected to turn in 20 new registrations per day they go out. That isn't the same as being paid per-piece...it's more like a quota they are supposed to meet. This was reported from an actual canvasser who admitted to committing registration fraud. Since she admitted to breaking the law it's highly unlikely she would lie about the 20 registration quota.
So, they are expected to actually work to get their paycheck. How terrible is that?! What a terrible employer. Look, the facts are that ACORN has been committing these type of frauds for a few decades now. Just admit the fact that not everything is perfect on the Democratic side.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:40 AM

808 posts, read 1,148,850 times
Link from Seattle area from 2007 that mentions quota and describes what the canvassers did.

Local News | Seven charged in vote-fraud scheme | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 10-13-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
So, they are expected to actually work to get their paycheck. How terrible is that?! What a terrible employer. Look, the facts are that ACORN has been committing these type of frauds for a few decades now. Just admit the fact that not everything is perfect on the Democratic side.
Some Acorn EMPLOYEES have been doing it for a long time, yes. Acorn does fire them and always cooperates fully to help prosecute those who have done it. I'm not going to blame and label the entire organization for registration fraud when it's individuals who are the ones who are actually guilty.

I will wholeheartedly agree that Acorn doesn't do as much as it needs to in order to stop/prevent this, but I insist on being fair and placing the blame directly where it belongs for the actual fraud.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:50 AM

224 posts, read 378,188 times
Quote:
Some Acorn EMPLOYEES have been doing it for a long time, yes. Acorn does fire them and always cooperates fully to help prosecute those who have done it. I'm not going to blame and label the entire organization for registration fraud when it's individuals who are the ones who are actually guilty.

I will wholeheartedly agree that Acorn doesn't do as much as it needs to in order to stop/prevent this, but I insist on being fair and placing the blame directly where it belongs for the actual fraud.
Yea Guys!!!

And Hitler didn't actually kill anyone himself so that doesn't mean the Nazi's are all bad right????

Darn those bad apples who spoil it for everyone!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1878 View Post
Yea Guys!!!

And Hitler didn't actually kill anyone himself so that doesn't mean the Nazi's are all bad right????

Darn those bad apples who spoil it for everyone!
I'm about the only Obama supporter on here that will even reply to you seriously. Don't ruin that by being a bonehead, dude. I took the time to find a source for you. You should take the time to read it and reply in a fair and serious manner. If you don't show the same level of courtesy to me that I do to you then you can't expect to be taken seriously at all.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:06 PM

380 posts, read 1,058,918 times
Who cares how they are paid, they have a corrupt group of folks working for them. They should be physically removed from any community that catches them in the act of voter registration fraud.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:07 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotater58 View Post
Who cares how they are paid, they have a corrupt group of folks working for them. They should be physically removed from any community that catches them in the act of voter registration fraud.
What do you think voter registration fraud is?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:11 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1878 View Post
This has been a common excuse given by ACORN apologists.. But according to them it's incorrect.

Now what would be the motive in getting all those bogus registrations (and hopefully votes)?????

From an internal memo from ACORN's directors, Bertha Lewis and Steve Kest, to its political allies:

"Fact: Our canvassers are paid by the hour, not by the card, so there is NO incentive for them to falsify cards. ACORN has a zero-tolerance policy for deliberately falsifying registrations, and in the relatively rare cases where our internal quality controls have identified this happening we have fired the workers involved and turned them in to election officials and law-enforcement."

ACORN Rallies Its Troops - Marc Ambinder (http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/10/acorn_rallies_its_troops.php - broken link)

An ACORN Representative was also interviewed on Fox yesterday and he stated that canvassers are NOT paid by the piece.

Not sure how that really changes anything.
Goof-offs are still likely to forge signatures so that it looks like they are really working (as opposed to sitting at home watching TV).

Do you really think that someone who only turns in 5 signatures a day is as likely to be used the next day as someone who turns in 500?

Whether paid by the signature or the hour, there is plenty of incentive for any signature gatherer to fake signatures. Happens all the time on state petition signature drives all over the country. ACORN is not unique in having that problem - that's why the state always validates the signers' information. NONE of the signatures are taken at face value in any such drive - ever.

Ken

Old 04-09-2009, 08:17 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Not sure how that really changes anything.
Goof-offs are still likely to forge signatures so that it looks like they are really working (as opposed to sitting at home watching TV).

Do you really think that someone who only turns in 5 signatures a day is as likely to be used the next day as someone who turns in 500?

Whether paid by the signature or the hour, there is plenty of incentive for any signature gatherer to fake signatures. Happens all the time on state petition signature drives all over the country. ACORN is not unique in having that problem - that's why the state always validates the signers' information. NONE of the signatures are taken at face value in any such drive - ever.

Ken
PLUS - and you remember this from last fall, Ken, we all went through this for them in excruciating detail - the supervisors go through the registrations, set into a separate pile the ones that seem fishy, and hand THE ENTIRE BATCH in to the state's Secretary of State. Each form is numbered...blah, blah, blah...

Sisyphus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections