Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:09 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why would you say that the dems are freaking out?
We're still 700b$ in brand new debt; we're losing 75,000 jobs per month.

Do you have something concrete or are you just posting wishful thinking?
Exactly - I concur. I don't know of anyone freaking out except the self-proclaimed Republicans (giving real Conservative Republicans a bad name) which have been posting a volumes of nonsense on this forum for a good 3 weeks now. This forum used to be someone objective and civil, but now it appears that a Rove-ian style attack war on Obama has been launched. Nothing but hot air and false accusations are all too common now.

I have nothing against Republicans, I just think this nonsense we're now seeing posted all the time by just a handful of unstable folks will come to a welcome end not too soon.

I hope the economy recovers soon of course, and I also hope that we see more civil discussions between Obama and McCain in the next few weeks. Negative campaigning just isn't interesting. One day of positive movement by the stock market isn't a trend, but let us all pray it is the new trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 03:09 PM

808 posts, read 1,148,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
What would you expect from a liberal?

ROTFLMBFAO.
I'm not a liberal...I'm a swing voter who is actually pretty conservative. McCain and Palin are out of touch with everyday americans and only appeal to the far right. I would just rather slide a little over into the left lane and stay on the road than veer sharply to the right and go off the cliff.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:11 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I'm with you, Teatime--I don't think today's news had anything to do with either of the candidates.
I'm trying to digest what it means that when our Congress acts, the market tumbles, and it takes other leaders stepping in to improve our situation. I can't decide if it's the positive effect of countries working together or such a lack of confidence in our own system that we need to be propped up. Sigh...

Old 10-13-2008, 03:11 PM

808 posts, read 1,148,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Really. So what happened last week?

Yes, it's all about Obama. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the G-7 meeting and strategizing.
Sarcasm is completely lost on you, isn't it?

I was being facetious to the original poster, if I honestly need to explain.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:12 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
One never knows. We will all have to wait and see. It was fun watching it today though. At least people had happy faces.
Last week the DOC declined 22% (2,400 points). It has fallen for the past 8 sessions and 8 weeks. Today it went up 936. IT IS STILL down based on the past 8 weeks of trading (2,400 - 936 = you do the math).

So EXPECT a bounce. Bargains can be had but many people have already taken a beating and cannot afford to buy right now, including myself. Once I am within my 5% loss threshold I am still selling and closing my portfolio.

It is also premature to say any political group celebrating or being in fear. Why would anyone be unhappy about a one day spoke?

And NEITHER McCain and Obama had anything DIRECTLY to do with the spike. Last I checked neither one had the title of President. What are people smoking? IT is a reaction to financial markets seeing some ray of hope now that there is evidence of a concerted effort across geopolitical divide to resolve the crisis. We are not out of the woods, now that global financial markets are intertwined one sneeze from one market can cause a chain reaction.. and we have plenthy of recent historical evidence to support this statement.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:13 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Demos are expected to loose 2 points in the polls due to today's move!

Funny how to win, you have to wish for the demise of America.

1. Failure in Iraq, seen as a plus for demos.

2. Bad economy, wishing for market collapse.

3. Organized cheating by democratic organizers.

The list goes on and on. McCain about to be back within the margin of error. Even though the polls are flawed so heavily in Obam's favor as it is.
You know, if there are truly Dems out there trying to capitalize on the demise of our economy to get votes, shame on them.

But I wouldn't be getting too excited about the jump today. It could tank 3000 points in two hours tomorrow and you know it as well as I do.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:14 PM

163 posts, read 237,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaS1 View Post
Since Fox News is the only member of the mainstream media that attempts fair coverage, unlike the communist news network (CNN) or DNC-TV (MSNBC), the OP would be quite smart and informed to listen to Fox.
Wel that is your opinion, & you certainly have the right to have that opinion, a lot of Senator Obama's followers actually belive that Fox News is not objective at all, & is a right-wing news outlet. That is their opinion & its their preogative to hold that opinion.... So statements like the ones you made is not helping your attempt to "educate" the other camp about your point-of-view.

Also did you know Rupert Murdoch (founder of Fox News) predicted an Obama landslide back in May?

Also Murdoch said he had played a role in the endorsement by the New York Post, one of his global stable of papers, in endorsing Obama during the Democratic primary with Hillary Clinton in New York....

Old 10-13-2008, 03:14 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Hey, where's that October Surprise you promised?

Old 10-13-2008, 03:16 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I'm trying to digest what it means that when our Congress acts, the market tumbles, and it takes other leaders stepping in to improve our situation. I can't decide if it's the positive effect of countries working together or such a lack of confidence in our own system that we need to be propped up. Sigh...
It is a reflection of globalization and the 21st century. We are interconnected with the worlds people on the planet we share. Modern economics are no different then our atmosphere, we are all dependent on others to keep breating.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:17 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Obviously Will Rogers never met a liberal.
Actually, Will Rogers was a lifelong democrat. He's famous for saying: "I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections