Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If Barrack Obama came out and stated he was a Muslim would you still support him?
Yes, his religion should not matter 41 77.36%
No, he would lose my support 9 16.98%
I do not know 3 5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:02 AM

573 posts, read 800,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
I don't think America is ready for a cult-member President.
The only difference between a cult and a religion is the amount of real estate they own. -- Frank Zappa

METAMYTH - SKEPTICAL AND HUMOROUS QUOTES ON RELIGION
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 09:22 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,527 times
If Obama still maintained his secular liberal Democrat positions, then yes I would have no problem voting for him.

If he converted to Islam and took counter-progressive religious positions on abortion, civil unions for the gays, separation of church and state, and other social issues, then no I would absolutely not vote for him.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:38 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Pshh.

I'm Agnostic and have been for over a decade, but my parents are Catholic and raised me as a Catholic. However, you're telling me that if a billion Catholics "agreed" that I'm Catholic because my parents are Catholic and because I went to church as a child, it would automatically make it true, regardless of the fact that I don't personally subscribe to the Catholic belief system? You're serious with this nonsense? Were you able to write that with a straight face?

Apples and oranges.....get yourself educated.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:41 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
What if you were intelligent?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:43 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Sorry, but you're wrong. Apples and apples, my dear.

You claimed that Obama is Muslim simply because he was "born into it" (wtf?) and because other Muslims agree that a person "born into" that particular religion remains Muslim throughout his entire life, regardless of what personal belief system he subscribes to later, when he grows up and is able to decide for himself what he does and does not believe...Just like my example in my own post, regarding my being "born into" Catholicism, and later deciding that I'm Agnostic, not Catholic simply because my parents are. Like I said...apples to apples.

Your post was idiotic. Evidently, I'm not the one who needs the education.

Last edited by Politico; 10-14-2008 at 09:52 AM..

Old 10-14-2008, 09:46 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
A candidates religion should not matter. It would only matter if they make decisions based on faith or have their religious faith influence their political decisions. This would be ABSOLUTELY WRONG and comparable to what the Taliban and hard line extremist (i.e., Iranian leadership) do. I would definitely vote against someone or for that matter ANYONE who lets their religious view be a major guide in their political decisions. This is NOT what America is about.

I have lots of friends who are Muslim and a few are actually in our military fighting for our country.

Only ignorant people think that a persons religious affiliation would matter. Only the super ignorant would think that someone who is Muslim is anti American. Hope there arent any super ignorant people posting here.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 10-14-2008 at 09:55 AM..

Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Then why don't you educate us?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:14 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
What if you were intelligent?
Oh, that was directed at my original comment...hmmmm....can't believe I just gave you rep points for that one.
Sorry.
Here goes my faith in humankind....

Old 10-14-2008, 10:17 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Oh, that was directed at my original comment...hmmmm....can't believe I just gave you rep points for that one.
Sorry.
Here goes my faith in humankind....
Nope not at you, directed at the OP

Old 10-14-2008, 10:17 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
If you are a supporter of Barrack Obama and he came out and said that he has offically converted to the Muslim faith, would you still support him?

Is America ready for a Muslim President?
I would still support him. His religion is irrelevant as long as he leaves it at home where it belongs. The people who are worried that he's a Muslim are the true bigots. There's a simple formula they're applying. Muslim=Terrorist. Americans can be total hypocrites. They preach religious tolerance, but expect all their presidents to be Christian. Personally, I would love to have an atheist president. At least then I don't have to worry about him sucking up to the religious right. The day we can stop worrying about sex, race or religion is the day America will actually live up to the ideals it claims to cherish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections