U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:29 PM

2,384 posts, read 3,902,958 times
Stop using Wikipedia people!!! Does no one understand who writes Wikipedia??? I swear, I am on a mission to stop people on here citing Wikipedia. It drives me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 07:41 PM

78 posts, read 79,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
.........Howard Stern...........Diane G
Hey now there is a guy we can all love and trust. If Howard said it it must be true!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:34 AM

28,009 posts, read 10,391,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberta View Post
Snopes disputes all negative news about Obama. They are Democrats. They can't help it.

And you dispute everything on Snopes because you are a Republican? Snopes is not just political, it addresses all sorts of urban legends and misinformation. Maybe they dispute the content of this e-mail because it is incorrect.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:51 AM

35,000 posts, read 21,643,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
Stop using Wikipedia people!!! Does no one understand who writes Wikipedia??? I swear, I am on a mission to stop people on here citing Wikipedia. It drives me crazy.
Why?

You may have seen little linked numbers at the end of statements inside responsible Wikipedia articles. They're footnote numbers. Click one of the numbers and it takes you to the corresponding citation at the bottom of the page, in the References section where the article's source citations are organized. They're all links as well, so you can go directly to the cited source and decide for yourself, and find further or perhaps more valuable information.

Wikipedia entries (on popular topics) are given the gimlet eye by peers and anxious editors who dont hesitate to demand a rewrite or post that an article is biased or needs further or more legitimate citations, and they all argue their reasons in the background. In other words there's some editorial oversight.

All that said - because there's ultimately no legal responsibility behind a Wikipedia article, Wikipedia isnt intended to be anyone's ultimate bedrock info source.

But to refuse to look at a Wikipedia article for quick understanding, particularly on a frequently called topic, is unnecessarily cautious IMO.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:55 AM

35,000 posts, read 21,643,948 times
Quote:
Snopes disputes all negative news about Obama. They are Democrats. They can't help it.
Why do you say they're Democrats? Do you know them?

Snopes lives or dies by their credibility. It's what they're all about, why people go there. They have to be accurate or they go out of business.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:15 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,076,659 times
But it's an email forward, that means it HAS to be true!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:31 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,850,300 times
sorry but obama has refused to release any of his school documents. i don't believe anything he and his wife say. show me documents and i will believe. which would show where the money came from. he has never released a birth certificate, only the forged copy of his sisters hawaiian certificate. he also refuses to release his passport. use your heads people.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:34 AM

10,525 posts, read 10,598,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
sorry but obama has refused to release any of his school documents. i don't believe anything he and his wife say. show me documents and i will believe. which would show where the money came from. he has never released a birth certificate, only the forged copy of his sisters hawaiian certificate. he also refuses to release his passport. use your heads people.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:36 AM

8,990 posts, read 17,561,136 times
Thumbs down Busted....Again!

I've now witnessed bentlebee get owned on two city-data forums for fibbing. Both here and the real estate forum.

"How dishonorable"

Old 10-15-2008, 08:37 AM

15,053 posts, read 18,936,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
I'm so happy that I agree with a real estate broker!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections