Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:35 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,256,568 times

Advertisements

I look at McCain's health care proposal as a perfect example of how he puts corporate American before people. His plan will encourage companies to drop health care as an employee benefit- as he said tonight, companies will then 'be free to put those health care plan savings into salaries'. YEAH RIGHT! I've had enough of Corporate American Welfare in the past 8 years.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:47 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,729,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I look at McCain's health care proposal as a perfect example of how he puts corporate American before people. His plan will encourage companies to drop health care as an employee benefit- as he said tonight, companies will then 'be free to put those health care plan savings into salaries'. YEAH RIGHT! I've had enough of Corporate American Welfare in the past 8 years.
agree

Old 10-15-2008, 11:04 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,291,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
agree

Did you have to change auto insurance the last time you switched jobs?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:09 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,256,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Did you have to change auto insurance the last time you switched jobs?
I actually did, a few jobs ago. I used my car for business and my car insurance was part of my benefits package.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:11 PM

382 posts, read 951,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Clinton >>> NAFTA.

How quickly they forget.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:15 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,422,386 times
Most people just don't stop and think about how economics work. When a company is taxed those taxes are either passed on to the consumer, causes the company to cut jobs, causes the company to leave this country, causes the company to cut grants, service to the community, etc.

You simply can NOT tax the hell outta them, if you do, this only means LESS jobs for Americans.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:18 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,097,410 times
That's ok. If Obama wins (and I think he will) and follows through with his tax increases, I will just have to lay off a few people or maybe make them part-time.

Go ahead and increase the taxes on the wealthy who buy more things from people and pay for more services than most people. They will alter their consumption and once again, the average Joe gets screwed since he won't be able to add on the new addition to the rich guy, or continue to serve as his landscaper, chef, tutor, therapist, etc.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:46 PM

355 posts, read 988,757 times
Because Obama doesn't believe we are intelligent or resilient enough to achieve the American dream on our own.

So instead, he offers the government teat.

Nothing like dependency.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 17,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Yesterday they announced that they will be closing the GM plant in Janesville, WI right before Christmas. That is the oldest GM plant still in operation in the U.S. It is 4 million square feet big. At one time this plant employed over 7000 people and was the life blood of the commuity. These are the working people who finally made it to the point that they believed themselves to be the "middle class." They made a decent living, had good benefits, owned their own houses, sent their kids to college. They had achieved the American Dream. And, having achieved it, they did a foolish thing. They voted against their own best interest and they lost it all. See, they listened to the republican rhetoric. They had good family values and they believed the republicans when they said they were the party of family values. They worked hard for their money and they believed the republican rhetoric that the democrats just wanted to take their hard earned money and give it all away to a bunch of lazy bums on welfare. They were loyal Americans and they believed the republican rhetoric that democrats were anti-American. They like their guns and hunting and they believed the republican rhetoric that the democrats would take their guns. So they voted republican. And they watched as the republicans gave tax breaks to companies shipping their jobs overseas. They watched while other countries put enormous tarrifs on American cars brought into their countries while our country made imports of other countries cars into our country easy as pie. And since those countries provided national health care while our country refused to do so, the insurance cost added to the cost of the cars and made them less competitive. They watched while the republicans gave all the tax breaks to the richest people in the world and pushed the tax burden over on the working people. And now they are facing Christmas without a job and no prospects of a family supporting job if things continue as they have. These same people who voted republican to keep others from getting food stamps are now signing up for food stamps themselves. This same story has been repeated all over America now. People who bought the republican rhetoric and voted against their best interest are waking up today to the old truism. "If you want to live like a republican you have to vote democratic."
Rest assured the Janesville plant was not compromised by politics but rather was torn apart by the good ole' UAW. I was friends with quite a few people that were employed by both GM and one of it's suppliers, Leer. While I went to Whitewater to get my degree, I bartended and had to listen to others who were also employed there. The amount of amonosity that the union created between it's members and management was incredible. It was always an "us vs. them" mind set all while they were making insane wages/benefits--with a little bit of overtime these guys were making upward of 70K a year--yet it never seemed to be enough. I seriously didn't think it would close this quickly, but the writing was definitely on the wall.....After they announced the shutdown, I remember seeing a line worker on a local newscast screaming about how GM was all about making money and that they didn't care about their employees........HELLO!!!! They are a business who has to answer to it's shareholders!!!!! You can't keep losing millions of dollars a quarter and expect to stay in business.....All this while Honda, Toyota, BMW etc. are building thriving non-union assembly plants in this country.......So, no, the domestic auto manufacturer meltdown has very little to do with politics and there was nothing that either republican or democrat policy could have done to prevent this........

Old 10-24-2008, 01:09 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,495,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Why would anyone middle class vote McCain, who clearly supports the plutocracy, while Obama supports the working class

A lot of the people who overlook this and vote McCain, don't even care about him being for free trade on steroids.
Obama is not nearly as rabid for free trade.
Look what competing against Chinese workers and Central American workers has done for America.
Restricted Free Trade, number 1 employer in the US, GM.
Almost unrestricted free trade, number 1 employer in the US? WalMart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections