Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:08 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,753,845 times

Advertisements

How excited do you think Obama is that Joe the Plumber will be paraded around the talk show circut this upcoming week? Will this affect Obama's 6-point lead in the polls?

Is Joe the Plumber McCain's new edge on the economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:19 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,808,476 times
Independents polled by CNN were not at all interested in Joe the Plumber gimmicks.

Also in tonight's CNN poll, respondents rated Obama's tax policy as preferable to McCains by 56% to 41%. That's AFTER McCain repeatedly telling people that Obama would raise their taxes.

What does this mean?

First off, nobody likes taxes. Everyone agrees about that. But families, small businesses, etc... they also KNOW that you can't just borrow money indefinitely. At some point you've got to tighten the belt and pay -- yes PAY -- your debts down. It's no fun, but even among those whose taxes would increase, Obama's plan seems much more responsible and fair. They know that while they may have to sacrifice a bit now, a few years down the road the nation will be prospering and we could be looking at surpluses again (like during Clinton).

And Joe the Plumber, well, he'll be able to recoup any extra tax money he might have to pay in the next few years, simply with his speaking and appearance fees in the next 2 weeks. Heck, he might even be able to buy 3 plumbing companies with his windfall. So he's good with all that. A solid vote for Obama, I'd say.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:19 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,395,781 times
Cannot wait either!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:20 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,395,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Independents polled by CNN were not at all interested in Joe the Plumber gimmicks.

Also tonight's CNN poll, respondents rated Obama's tax policy as preferable to McCains by 56% to 41%. That's AFTER McCain repeatedly telling people that Obama would raise their taxes.

What does this mean?

First off, nobody likes taxes. Everyone agrees about that. But families, small businesses, etc... they also KNOW that you can't just borrow money indefinitely. At some point you've got to tighten the belt and pay -- yes PAY -- your debts down. It's no fun, but even among those whose taxes would increase, Obama's plan seems much more responsible and fair. They know that while they may have to sacrifice a bit now, a few years down the road the nation will be prospering and we could be looking at surpluses again (like during Clinton).

And Joe the Plumber, well, he'll be able to recoup any extra tax money he might have to pay in the next few years, simply with his speaking and appearance fees in the next 2 weeks. Heck, he might even be able to buy 3 plumbing companies with his windfall. So he's good with all that. A solid vote for Obama, I'd say.
I don't think they get paid to appear on shows.?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post

Also in tonight's CNN poll, respondents rated Obama's tax policy as preferable to McCains by 56% to 41%. That's AFTER McCain repeatedly telling people that Obama would raise their taxes.

What does this mean?

More people watch Fox News during peak hours (dinnertime) than every other cable news network combined, with 250,000 extra. Some people may not like Fox, just like I don't care for MSNBC, but Fox news is a force to be dealt with. The 600 pound gorilla of sorts...

Old 10-15-2008, 10:28 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,487,906 times
I hope Joe the new American Hero goes on The View and uses his special septic solution to grease down that thing whoppie calls hair and shoves a sandwich down the other loudmouths face.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:31 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,404,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
How excited do you think Obama is that Joe the Plumber will be paraded around the talk show circut this upcoming week? Will this affect Obama's 6-point lead in the polls?
I don't know what it'll mean to the election, but I'm excited to have a guy who's speaking for me getting the word out. That guy made me so happy.

One of the reasons I shut down my most lucrative business I owned (boot-strapped myself) was because I was tired of fighting the taxes. The harder you friggin' work as a self-employed person, the worse off you are. That guys singing the word: Why try if you're going to punish me for it? Why try when I can be like my neighbor and work 40/wk and live a comparable lifestyle without the stress of labor and getting business?

Quote:
Is Joe the Plumber McCain's new edge on the economy?
I don't know, but I was happy as a lark to see someone looking at Obama like he has diarrhea running out his mouth rather than the worshipers bowing at his feet.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:37 PM

I'm happy to see so many people adapting to complacency.... Put your feet up on the table and have a beer...

Old 10-15-2008, 10:37 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,808,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I don't think they get paid to appear on shows.?
Typically a candidate, or someone facing a trial (like in the crime shows), or an entertainer promoting something will not get an appearance fee. But a "15 mins of fame" type guy, just an independent who can accept or turn down any requests to appear without potential conflicts, they can ask for (and typically get) appearance fees. An exclusive can be even higher. If the person has something to promote (like a website), they may forgo an exclusive with a good appearance fee and instead get as much free exposure as possible.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, although he was in a public place he is not a public figure with the expectation of privacy removed -- so if McCain wanted to feature him in a campaign ad (even the footage which is on the news), they might very well have to get a release from him... which would likely involve a fee.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:41 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,821,111 times
Politico's Ben Smith just wrote that "Joe the Plumber" doesn't appear to be registered to vote. Thats classic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections