U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:46 AM

40,059 posts, read 20,125,012 times

Advertisements

Voices and predictions. I wonder why we need to have an election at all...since it's all apparently decided in advance. Alternatively, perhaps we could imitate the NFL, and have two Congressmen or Senators--one representing each of the major parties--flip a coin from the Capitol Rotunda. This could be done on national television. I can already hear the announcer intoning, "The coin is in the air! And the next President of the United States is..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 11:51 AM

24,638 posts, read 15,005,295 times
Fred, that was tried in 2000 when the SC selected the (p)resident.
Look what that got us: $700B in debt, thousands of US kids killed and seriously wounded in an ill-founded war; loss of world respect; the Patriot Act; etc.

I trust the people more than that this time around.
I just wish we could keep Diebold out of it completely.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:54 AM

3,712 posts, read 4,170,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Voices and predictions. I wonder why we need to have an election at all...since it's all apparently decided in advance. Alternatively, perhaps we could imitate the NFL, and have two Congressmen or Senators--one representing each of the major parties--flip a coin from the Capitol Rotunda. This could be done on national television. I can already hear the announcer intoning, "The coin is in the air! And the next President of the United States is..."
I was thinking of something more along the lines of America Idol. Instead of wasting our time voting, why not just have Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul give the candidates thumbs up or thumbs down?

Old 10-16-2008, 11:58 AM

625 posts, read 1,264,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I was thinking of something more along the lines of America Idol. Instead of wasting our time voting, why not just have Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul give the candidates thumbs up or thumbs down?
Well, because Simon would give the thumbs down to both, and Paula would say how great they both are and give them both a thumbs up, and then it would come down to Randy, a black man... how do you think that would go over? LOL.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:08 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,275,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
It would not matter if police records were released showing that O-bomb-a was a hatchet murderer. His faithful minions would still vote for him.
Yes, it doesn't matter if they discovered that Obama is a mass murderer. Obama has promised that GOVERNMENT will take care of the people.

The USA has lost their dignity and freedom and the people are now dependent on OBAMA and his government on their daily needs.

The American people will no longer have the freedom of choice. Everything will be universal under the OBAMA rule.

When people immigrate to America legally to fulfill the American Dream, they ddn't think that the government will fully control their lives. They toil hard with sweat and blood until they reach the American Dream. They look for government and police to keep everyone honest and law-abiding.

But the government failed to keep everyone honest and law-abiding. They let greed and corruption overtake their lives.

YouTube - What Just Happened?

Because of this greed, cheating and corruption, the people are being scammed by people offering them the wrong mortgages. It was the duty of the legislative branch to make laws to regulate this. But the politicians blocked the reform because of greed.

I vote for FREEDOM OF CHOICE and FOR GOVERNMENT TO DO THE JOB THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO AS DEFINED BY THE CONSTITUTION.

A vote for Obama means you have lost your dignity and is relying on him to survive. You should vote for government and ethics reform to keep everyone honest and law-abiding so the people can prosper on their own.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:19 PM

2,739 posts, read 5,576,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Tonight on prime time. I think when the networks get wind of the contents they'll cover it in such depth that it'll be like a free 15 minute commecial on all the broadcast nets. And of course the cable news folks will repeat it giving it good legs.

This won't entirely offset Obama's network "buy" of next week. But it'll be FREE, and McCain need to conserve his funds.

This won't be the end of Obama, but it'll start the inevitible slide.

I think one of the networks is "teasing" it as I write this.

You'll be blown out of the water.

golfgod

Hmmm. Ok. Whatever. At this point, I don't think anyone is holding their breath. We'll just wait and see what happens...

Bud

Old 10-16-2008, 12:28 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,229,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
A vote for Obama means you have lost your dignity and is relying on him to survive.
Or, maybe, just maybe, you can get by decently either way ... but agree with Obama's theoretical views on government. That's the case for many of us.

Is it really THAT bad to pay a bit of more taxes and to cesede into a more universal healthcare plan (what you might call "losing freedoms") ... to improve our current societal condition?

Old 10-16-2008, 02:36 PM

5,081 posts, read 7,817,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Tonight on prime time. I think when the networks get wind of the contents they'll cover it in such depth that it'll be like a free 15 minute commecial on all the broadcast nets. And of course the cable news folks will repeat it giving it good legs.

This won't entirely offset Obama's network "buy" of next week. But it'll be FREE, and McCain need to conserve his funds.

This won't be the end of Obama, but it'll start the inevitible slide.

I think one of the networks is "teasing" it as I write this.

You'll be blown out of the water.

golfgod
Quit the teasing and tell the truth! I'll go ahead and spill everything on this one right now.

The announcement is that the differences between both candidates are becoming too much to handle. McCain and Obama are going to be squaring off in the octagon in a winner-take-all, no holds barred cage match!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections