Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:47 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,921,185 times

Advertisements

^Yeah, until I start throwing rocks at their car. Then they shout, "Hey stop you crazy tolerant Liberal dude"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 12:49 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,442,530 times
I'm coming in late here. At my office, there are a lot of McCain supporters, and then there's me! At first, around the time of the conventions, it was hard. But after Sarah gave her speech at the RNC and one of the biggest supporters of the bunch was waxing enthusiastic for her, another one of the very conservative bunch said they'd like to hear her say something substantive instead of all her sarcasm. The conversations stopped, and it's been a lot better since. I think if it gets really bad at work, the supervisor/manager needs to take charge and explain that work needs to be a "safe place" where people of all political persuasions can work comfortalby.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:54 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,392,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Absolutely not true.
There is a difference between being "tolerant" of christian values and wanting to have those values forced onto you, regardless of what religion you do or do NOT subscribe to.

As an atheist, I fully support people's right to practice their religion, any religion, however I will not subscribe to their values. I have my own... I don't need anyone else's.
To be tolerant of something you have to be the establishment. Atheism is hardly the establishment. It's not tolerant of atheist when they feel everything related to go d should be removed from society. However it is being very intolerant of the establishment.

You make it very clear in your last statement. Don't mind throwing crap out about how fake god is but can't stand to see anyone try and tell someone else about religion and what it means to them. (maybe not you in particular but definitely the majority of atheist)

Old 10-16-2008, 12:55 PM

Work can be annoying if people don't realize you keep politics out of it. As I type this I hear people bickering about politics.

I actually quit a job (well 50% of the reason) was everybody there was Rush Limbaugh Republicans. They would use the N word describing Obama, one litterally screamed at me because I finally came out of my shell and said that I was for banning Assult rifles, and they just spewed Rush Limbaugh style hate all day long.

I got out of there, and never looked back. This was in May. I don't even want to know what it is like there now with the elections coming up.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:58 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,392,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I don't think anybody is truely tolerant. Everybody is annoyed with atleast one group of people.

Mine is Neo-cons. There failure to move forward, accept science, and forcing their religion down my throat just makes me mad.

We would be colonizing Mars right now if it wasn't for these people.
Whenever you wake up and find out you're the very very small minority in a culture that believes overwhelmingly in a higher power you might start to realize you're the one being intolerant.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:03 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,415,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
To be tolerant of something you have to be the establishment. Atheism is hardly the establishment. It's not tolerant of atheist when they feel everything related to go d should be removed from society. However it is being very intolerant of the establishment.

You make it very clear in your last statement. Don't mind throwing crap out about how fake god is but can't stand to see anyone try and tell someone else about religion and what it means to them. (maybe not you in particular but definitely the majority of atheist)

Baloney. Tolerant means having a "live and live" attitude. I don't try to push my values on you and vice versa. This goes for both sides. THAT Is tolerance.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-16-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Whenever you wake up and find out you're the very very small minority in a culture that believes overwhelmingly in a higher power you might start to realize you're the one being intolerant.
BigJon, I never said that I didn't believe in a God. But thanks for saying that you know me more than myself.

ALso, I SAID EVERYBODY IS INTOLERANT OF A GROUP. I said that, I admitted it. You are arguing against something that I actually was the one who said it.

I am not a aethiest, but I don't like when people who don't believe in Science and evolution push it on me.

I strongly believe in the seperation of church and state.

Please don't put words in my mouth, and misrepresent my ideas.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:05 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,973,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Examples please...

where or when are people "intolerant" of Christians, when Christians are not trying to force their values on the entire country?
I would really love some examples....
If we did you would challenge the sources as being liberal, etc. etc.
do a google for republican and evangelical.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:06 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,451,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Have any of you lost friendships and/or family over the 2008 Presidential election?
No.

As far as I know, everyone in my family is now voting for Obama. Which is very unlikely, considering that most of us have been Republicans almost straight down the line. The GOP has really made a mess of things and lost the trust of millions like us, though.

They need to be a minority party for the next couple of decades until they sort out their neocon and religious fundy problems. Maybe then they can pretend to represent some mainstream thought again.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:13 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,415,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
If we did you would challenge the sources as being liberal, etc. etc.
do a google for republican and evangelical.
HUH?
I was asking another member for examples of this "Liberals being intolerant of Christians". Haven't heard any concrete examples yet.

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections