Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:09 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The first three months is when the decision should be made if any is to be made. After the three months it's absolutely ridiculous unless the mother is to die from the birth.
What about severe fetal defects (like Tristomy) that cannot be detected until after that 3 month window?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 09:09 PM

658 posts, read 1,784,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Not all abortions are nonviable fetuses. In partial birth abortion, the baby COULD in fact live outside the wound - if it didn't have a pair of Metzenbaum scissors shoved into the base of its skull before the head is delivered.

Emotional health is important. But it's just a huge joke that all these abortions are performed for the mental health of the mother. That is just the lie that is written on the chart so it's "acceptable."
First off, "partial-birth abortion" is not a medical term. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American Medical Association do not recognize "partial-birth abortion" as a medical term or procedure.

Second, there are several instances where a woman could have a late term abortion for health reasons not related to mental health issues. These can also include severe defects with the fetus.

The fact of the matter is that McCain showed his true colors when talking about women's rights by using the air-quotes.

What's even more interesting is that 8 years ago, McCain said that he would not want Roe v. Wade to be overturned and even acknowledged that bans on abortions would only cause women to revert to dangerous, illegal abortions. Too bad, the McCain of 8 years ago is not running today.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:11 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,329 times
Quote:
The first three months is when the decision should be made if any is to be made. After the three months it's absolutely ridiculous unless the mother is to die from the birth.
Ridiculous isn't the word that I would use because again, as in Kev's sisters case where both mother and child were at risk, we don't know the full story.

However, for the most part, I agree with the first trimester.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:13 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
I'm actually very frightened at women who treat babies like malignant tumors, and with people who so viciously agree with those women.
And you should be.

I personally have never met a woman who treated a baby like a malignant tumor. I would be afraid if I met one, I'm sure.

I agree with choice since everyone's situation is different. But perhaps that's just not satisfyingly black-and-white enough.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:14 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Wow, you really are crazy.

You'll notice I have not been banned or given an infraction - and I will be contacting a mod regarding this accusation. I have never once sent you a PM, DM, rep, whatever.

If one is terminating a pregnancy with hydrocephaly rather than delivering it - the safer procedure is an abortion over a cesarean section.
We are talking about an 8 month fetus with hydrocephaly. If the head won't fit through the birth canal, how is an abortion better than a cesarean section? Cesarean sections are indeed performed for nonviable pregnancies in situations like that.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 10-17-2008 at 06:05 AM..

Old 10-16-2008, 09:15 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,422 times
Quote:
Famous Pageant Titleholders (http://pageantclub.com/famous.html - broken link)
What exactly is your point?

And what does your post have to do with the fact that McCain only chooses partners (whether spousal partnership, or campaign partnership) who are pretty (his opinion), ex-pageant contestants? He obviously wishes to only surround himself (at home and at work) with pretty, well-dressed women, and evidently (at least in Cindy's and Palin's cases) holds these shallow, superficial traits in higher regard than intelligence.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:15 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
I think we all too often know what is going on in the head and heart of the mother. But I agree, not always. And I certainly sympathize with JerZ and others like her. But for the other 1.2 million a year ?????????????
I agree, that's a lot.

But now here's one thing.

Guns kill people. Guns wound people...guns are the cause of emergency room visits every single day.

Many, many people use guns responsibly.

Many also use them literally to pop a cap in a person whose shoes are the "wrong" color.

So would you agree that since the potential is there to end lives frivolously by guns, guns should be outlawed?

Or do you feel that being a criminal is one thing, being responsible is another...and it's not as black and white as "if we outlaw guns, nobody else will die by guns"?

How is the abortion issue any different?

Old 10-16-2008, 09:16 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
And you should be.

I personally have never met a woman who treated a baby like a malignant tumor. I would be afraid if I met one, I'm sure.

I agree with choice since everyone's situation is different. But perhaps that's just not satisfyingly black-and-white enough.
Please refer to and read all posts.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:17 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
What exactly is your point?

And what does your post have to do with the fact that McCain only chooses partners (whether spousal partnership, or campaign partnership) that are pretty (his opinion), ex-pageant contestants? He obviously wishes to only surround himself (at home and at work) with pretty, well-dressed women, and evidently (at least in Cindy's and Palin's cases) holds these shallow, superficial traits in higher regard than intelligence.

I was trying to get you to answer the "Obama pays his female employees less" side of it. I was discrediting you as you spun more and more. McCain now "chooses" these women. God forbid they could think or act for themselves. The real sexism is making itself abundantly clear.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:18 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I agree, that's a lot.

But now here's one thing.

Guns kill people. Guns wound people...guns are the cause of emergency room visits every single day.

Many, many people use guns responsibly.

Many also use them literally to pop a cap in a person whose shoes are the "wrong" color.

So would you agree that since the potential is there to end lives frivolously by guns, guns should be outlawed?

Or do you feel that being a criminal is one thing, being responsible is another...and it's not as black and white as "if we outlaw guns, nobody else will die by guns"?

How is the abortion issue any different?
By this reasoning, you would be outlawing scalpels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections